Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Lions WR coach throws bricks to WR's

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions1w_20050601.htm

Quote:
Fred Graves could have taken the conventional approach. He could have tossed footballs at the Lions' receivers. Or Ping-Pong balls. Or crumpled pieces of paper.

Anything to help the young receivers improve their pass-catching skills.

"It's all about focus," said Graves, the team's new receivers coach. "If I balled up a piece of paper or if I take a tennis ball or even a football, and I toss it to you, in your mind you say, 'Oh, I dropped it.' Then you've got to correct that.

"But if I toss you a brick, I don't have to say anything because in your mind this thing is going to hurt. So you always get hands and eyes coordinated together and, basically, that's the drill."

And that's what Graves throws -- usually once a week -- to Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Kevin Johnson and the rest of the Lions' receivers. He throws bricks.

If they had any question about what kind of guy they were getting as their position coach, it was answered the first time Graves started lobbing bricks at them.

"We call him Coach Carter," said Roy Williams, referring to the movie starring Samuel L. Jackson. "He really works us out pretty hard. He brought a new attitude to this football team, especially the wide receivers. And we want to work for him.

"He puts his foot down, and he's setting a tempo. We didn't have that last year. We had a good coach in Kevin Higgins but Coach Carter, here is a pretty tough guy. He brings a lot of drills to the game."

Most notable is the brick drill. Graves tosses bricks from about six yards away. He's still putting a little arc on his tosses, but he said he would make flatter, harder throws as the players got the hang of it.

The players have no choice but to grab the brick ... or else, Roy Williams said.

"You're going to catch the brick," he said Tuesday, the first day of a two-week minicamp. "You're not going to let the brick hit you in the stomach or drop it on your toe, you're going to catch it."

Neither Roy Williams nor Rogers had any experience catching bricks as part of football training, but both said Graves' system is effective.

"It helps your concentration and focus," Williams said. "You're not going to let the brick hit you in the stomach so you're going to catch it away from your body. It translates to the football."

Rogers said the Lions are still getting to know Graves, but there is no doubt he has succeeded in getting their attention. He doesn't hesitate to bark orders -- or corrections -- if they make a mistake on the field.

"He's bringing a whole different formula than we had in the past," Rogers said. "A lot of people would shake their heads but -- one thing about it -- I think our wide receivers are buying into the system and giving him a chance to see what he can do."

Graves, 55, said he started the brick-throwing drill during his 19-year coaching stay at his alma mater, Utah. He also used it in his previous NFL stops, at Buffalo (2001-03) and Cleveland (2004).

Graves is impressed with the Lions' receivers, saying they are potentially in the class with Peerless Price, Eric Moulds and Josh Reed, the threesome he coached at Buffalo. And he has no reluctance to push them.

"You just gotta keep coaching them," Graves said. "Some things you're going to have to repeat more than you do with a vet, but that's part of the deal, part of coaching, part of getting them ready.

"At this point in time you've got to be a little patient with them, and they've got to take it upon themselves to really want to learn. The way they go is the way our offense is going to grow."
Alright,who let him watch "Dodgeball".This is stupid.Just wait until he breaks the fingers,hands,feet,or toes of one of thier THREE franchise recievers.

Charles Rogers hasn't played a season (has he even played in a regular season game?) since he was drafted.Another injury would be devistating.

Mike Williams,whom the just drafted this year,hasn't played a game in a year.Don't need him injured.

Roy Williams has the potential to become one of the best recievers in the game.The guy is electrifying,he makes some of the most off-the-wall catches I have ever seen.He puts butts in seats and faces to television sets in Detroit.An injury to him would be catastrophic to the team.

STOP THROWING BRICKS TO THEM YOU JACKASS!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Lions WR coach throws bricks to WR's

I wonder if that violated the "dangerous activites" clause in thier contracts.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397

LOL....Mariucci has a great team...he's just a POS when it comes to coaching......if they dont make the playoffs this year that just proves it.....

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

That just seems plain stupid to me...maybe I'm wrong (ofcourse, that doesn't happen often...lol) But honestly...why would you put your players at risk like that? It just seems a little extreme to me, but hey it's not the Steelers...so whatever floats their boats!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Ican see it now, Mike Williams to miss first four games of the season with broken toe! Cause of brick! LOL

Not real smart.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

The lion receivers should be used to catching bricks.. just look at how well harrington and company have done for them!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

dude...joey sux but he cant do no wrong.....since hes from Portland they love him over here too....lol..its funny to see people so clueless

Last edited by Volpe1564; 06-03-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

This actually smells of Millen to me. I think he and graves were pounding a few back one night and mention about how to "toughen up" the team. What about punt returners? I've seen them drop balls before. Maybe they should catch a brick dropped from the midfield scoreboard while two golf carts come at them from the sides. That would hurt too.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
This actually smells of Millen to me. I think he and graves were pounding a few back one night and mention about how to "toughen up" the team. What about punt returners? I've seen them drop balls before. Maybe they should catch a brick dropped from the midfield scoreboard while two golf carts come at them from the sides. That would hurt too.