Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

By the Rooneys? I'm not saying he's in danger of being fired...but just that he better stop being as hands off with his coordinators as he has been? Or more may follow suit?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

wonder what Tomlin and Gilbert saw in Arians to want to keep him. did they really think the offense produced this past year?

good thing Rooney stepped in and made the right call.
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

in a way it was. but in another way it was kinda ownership protecting him and taking the pressure off.

tomlin is still a very young coach who has experienced a ton of success. im sure the last thing he wants to do is screw that all up with a bad (or the wrong) decision.

voila... all that is thrown out the window and taken out of his hands. now he can get back to running the team even if that means dealing with the beloved adversity he relishes.

im in management so i can understand. there are the rare instances where you are really stumped and can use your superiors expertice to lean on.

i am the boss and pretty much have full autonomous control of my project and all the employees, but there's been a time where MY boss stepped in with the assist, and did the "dirty work". i felt a sense of relief knowing they had my back and were willing to take the heat.

likewise i am willing to take the heat for my employees at times, even if THEY are wrong. i know they appreciate that as well.

i think its kinda just the nature of the business and we shouldnt read too much into it. life will go on and the steelers will get better.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
in a way it was. but in another way it was kinda ownership protecting him and taking the pressure off.

tomlin is still a very young coach who has experienced a ton of success. im sure the last thing he wants to do is screw that all up with a bad (or the wrong) decision.

voila... all that is thrown out the window and taken out of his hands. now he can get back to running the team even if that means dealing with the beloved adversity he relishes.

im in management so i can understand. there are the rare instances where you are really stumped and can use your superiors expertice to lean on.

i am the boss and pretty much have full autonomous control of my project and all the employees, but there's been a time where MY boss stepped in with the assist, and did the "dirty work". i felt a sense of relief knowing they had my back and were willing to take the heat.

likewise i am willing to take the heat for my employees at times, even if THEY are wrong. i know they appreciate that as well.

i think its kinda just the nature of the business and we shouldnt read too much into it. life will go on and the steelers will get better.

I know exactly what your saying and your right for the most part but I dont think so in this instance.. I actullay think Tomlin is to close to his players and to BEN... The Rooneys stepped in and I agree with the guy up top.. if I were Tomlin I think I might learn the difference in being a coach and being a friend who is a coach. To me getting to close to the guys is gonna bite you sooner or later
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,740 Times in 906 Posts
My Mood: Busy

It's certainly a nudge and hopefully Tomlin sees it that way. The offense cannot remain status quo and improve at the same time.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
I know exactly what your saying and your right for the most part but I dont think so in this instance.. I actullay think Tomlin is to close to his players and to BEN... The Rooneys stepped in and I agree with the guy up top.. if I were Tomlin I think I might learn the difference in being a coach and being a friend who is a coach. To me getting to close to the guys is gonna bite you sooner or later
i give tomlin a bit more credit than that. he is an extremely intelligent man and one hell of a "people person". its in his nature.

but he most certainly knows where his bread is buttered.

i'd say he's a full blown company man in blue collared clothing, but thats just my perception.

the last thing anyone wants is baby huey resenting the HC for dumping his guardian. big ben can resent the rooneys all he wants as long as theyre still writing his checks and everything will be fine.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
i give tomlin a bit more credit than that. he is an extremely intelligent man and one hell of a "people person". its in his nature.

i'd say he's a full blown company man in blue collared clothing, but thats just my perception.

the last thing anyone wants is baby huey resenting the HC for dumping his guardian. big ben can resent the rooneys all he wants as long as theyre still writing his checks and everything will be fine.
I give Mike more credit that that also. He is a grown azz man and has been for quite some time. He doesn't need a lesson on how to be a man.

The Rooneys hired him to do a job and I hope they will allow him to do it. The last thing we need is a Jerry Jones, Arthur Blank or Al Davis type of organization. That kind of management haven't won CHIT lately.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:

Good Point
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I give Mike more credit that that also. He is a grown azz man and has been for quite some time. He doesn't need a lesson on how to be a man.

The Rooneys hired him to do a job and I hope they will allow him to do it. The last thing we need is a Jerry Jones, Arthur Blank or Al Davis type of organization. That kind of management haven't won CHIT lately.

The Rooneys have done this for over 40 years... Im quite sure we know what kind of Management we have.. Tomlin on the other hand we dont know yet... all we do know is its clear to everyone that the Rooneys had to step in and fire a guy that everyone in the football world agreed needed to go... Now given the fact the Rooneys never do this... I think we can all agree... they are not anywhere near owners like you mentioned above ( again see 40 years of business for proof of that) it doesnt say alot for Tomlin being the man we think he is...

Yes he talks it but in this case the Rooneys had to walk it.. Lets hope Tomlin starts owning more things... Or maybe we can hope he unleeshes Hell on the Coord that everyone especailly his boss knows needs to go..

By the way Im not a Tomin hater... I just think the book is still out on the guy... all I do know is the Rooneys dont usually have to do things like this.. Their past doesnt need approval... Tomlins future will be defined on how he handles this team over the next 5 to 7 years.. So far he is off to a good start.. I still think he is to close to come guys which is understandable.. the guy is the same age they are... I think he will be a better coach 5 years from now.. again we will see about him.. we dont have to see about our Rooneys they have done it better than anyone else in history over the last 40 years
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
Yes he talks it but in this case the Rooneys had to walk it.. Lets hope Tomlin starts owning more things...
I hope I am wrong, but that's how I've viewed him for years now. He can talk, but he doesn't walk. He strikes me as one of those guys who interviews great, but can't actually do the job. He would be a great team spokesman. He is an excellent corporate communicator; he can say absolutely nothing in a lot of words with the best of them, and that is a talent. He's has a very likable public persona, until he doesn't follow through with any of it, and as a spokesman he wouldn't be accountable for the follow through.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote