Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

The Post Gazette is reporting that the position for Butler to Colts is “not a done deal.” If that is the case the Steelers need to tell Dick LeBeau to retire immediately. I love Dick LeBeau but he is not going to be around for the next 10 years, Butler will be.

If Butler has not accepted this job yet the Steelers need to promote him to the job he wants to get him to stay. Butler is the best young up and coming 3-4 Defensive Coordinator to be in the NFL. He has learned under the best and is the best linebackers coach in the league. He is deserving of this spot and I would not be mad at him for leaving. He has waited his turn for more then long enough. To lose him because you can not tell LeBeau it is time to retire is just moronic.

Losing Keith Butler pushes this defense backwards years. There is no one on this staff or the NFL that can fill in for LeBeau once he does retire. The Steelers need to make this happen. You have until he goes on his final interview on Tuesday to get this done. Do not let him leave
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

Wow thats gonna be a tough call on the part of the Rooney's. Kinda makes ya wonder all the DL talk last year about retiring. I have a feelin something didnt go their way and now its backfiring.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067
Default Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.
i agree. i would hate to lose Butler then Dick retire after this coming season. if he says he will definatly coach for another 5 years though i would keep him
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,341 Times in 4,296 Posts

if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary.

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary.

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.
Hopefully they do that bump in pay and assistant coach.

(edited to add).....Well, looks like they did it.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.
Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,104 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Actually, he's staying:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=85827

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

It's all good! I didn't know whether to start a thread on it or not