Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Pittsburgh Steelers: Who Should Be Their Top Free Agent or Draft Day Target?

After an abrupt and disappointing end to the 2011 NFL season, the Pittsburgh Steelers are now thinking offseason. There are more than a few concerns throughout Steeler Nation. The biggest concerns of the Pittsburgh Steelers are across the offensive line, secondary, and age! Thirty-year olds are more common than not on this Steelers defense who were so feared just a couple of years ago. Let's see who they could draft or find in free agency to make this a great offseason for the Steelers:

2012 NFL Draft

In the first round the Steelers should go youth on defense. Mark Barron, the safety out of Alabama, may be off the board but could help out the secondary tremendously with Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu seemingly always injured or thinking they are still younger and faster than everyone else. Dont'a Hightower could be another great option in the first round, he seems to be NFL-ready. The Steelers could clear up some cap space by releasing one of their "older" interior linebackers to make room for Hightower on the field.

In the later rounds of the Draft look for the Steelers to go for CB, OL, DL or RB. Some valuable options at these positions are Alameda Ta'amu, a nose tackle out of Washington, who could eventually replace a rapdily-aging Casey Hampton. Brandon Boykin, a CB out of Georgia. Tony Bergstorm, OT out of Utah. Jamell Flemming, CB out of Oklahoma. Ronnie Hillman, RB out of San Diego State. Would all be solid selections for Pittsburgh this April.

2012 Free Agency

The biggest need for the Pittsburgh Steelers going into the offseason is one of the most important positions on the field, left tackle. The Steelers need to keep Big Ben healthy and should focus on this more than anything. Max Starks will likely part ways with the Steelers after a rough season where he was cut then re-signed.
Demetrius Bell is an option. Bell is currently with the Buffalo Bills but may very well be a free agent. He can keep Ben off the IR and the Steelers should focus their efforts on acquiring him.

A sure way to get younger on defense and tighten up the secondary would be to go after CB Brandon Carr from the Chiefs. He has been great at times but below average at times as well. With the guidance of Dick LeBeau, Brandon Carr could very well turn into a star on the Steelers' defense.

The Steelers have some work to do this offseason clearing cap, drafting, releasing, and signing free agents. The organization is one of the finest in the league and the Steeler nation should not lose any sleep over the team's problems. They always find a way to compete and pull out the best in each of their players. Look for these Pittsburgh Steelers to still be at the top in 2012.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Who Should Be Their Top Free Agent or Draft Day Target?

I still want Burfict in the draft. I think that the line position can be filled easier in FA and rounds 2-7
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Who Should Be Their Top Free Agent or Draft Day Target?

Pretty sure Gilbert is going to LT and Colon will be starting RT
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,571 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Hopefully we'll pick up a good MLB and some Defensive lineman in the early rounds, maybe some lineman in the FA period. I think we'll pick up a little bit of everything in the draft, the Free Agency period will likely be less important. We never really make big splashes, more than likely we'll pick up some Practice Squad and future's contract's.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
I still want Burfict in the draft. I think that the line position can be filled easier in FA and rounds 2-7
i don't know man, he shit the bed in his senior season, and his attitude problem reminds me of bryan cox, but even worse
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

In free agency:

G Carl Nicks (NO)

or

G Ben Grubbs (Balt)

This would go a long way to bringing back our power running game (you know the one that has been missing since Fanaca defected to New York)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I'd rather see us pick up a nose tackle in free agency. In the 3-4 there is a specific type of player that can play NT. Those kind of players are usually not all that expensive in FA. (because they don't sack the QB) So I'm thinking it would be relatively easy to find a good NT who is also cheaper then Hampton.

With the 24th pick we should have no problem finding a great OG. Then with our 2nd round pick - take an ILB.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
With the 24th pick we should have no problem finding a great OG. Then with our 2nd round pick - take an ILB.
I'd take hightower in rd. 1 if he's still there. instead of BPA, we'll prolly select the BPA of the G, ILB, and NT positions. certainly someone in any of those positions would be a good pick without reaching.

I don't think we're going to be in the FA market because of the cap situation though.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i don't know man, he shit the bed in his senior season, and his attitude problem reminds me of bryan cox, but even worse
i agree, i would take him no early then round 2
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,571 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Yeah, he certainly seems like a bad egg. Hightower looks like the better of the two to me. Although, I think we're getting Mark Barron or a lineman.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote