Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-05-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397
Default Re: Ben deny's ignoring playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
"I`m just glad he is off to a better NFL start than Brady was!"

Don't understand what this has to do with Ben improvising??? However, Bardy had to wait a year for the guy infront of him to get hurt. Ben only had to wait a few days. That's what happens when you join a weak team, you get to play right away.

Now, can we get back to Ben's improvising, geeeeees.
ok lets get started...lol
1. 15-1 is a weak team(keyword team)(9 pro bowler is a weak team)
2. after this past year with the Pats secondry one would think you would understand that injuries happen...quickly
3. there have been very few rookie QB's that have started ANY game there first season and had a good one. hell its tuff enough just to learn all the plays let alone get in the zone with your WR's and go on the fly.

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

HW the real reason Ben got to start as soon as he did, wasn`t because of the team being weak. It was because Maddox the starter went down, and before him Batch the second teamer went down. When you lose your first two qbs, you don`t just hang up your cleats and go home.
If anything the Pats ought to consider themselves LUCKY. I mean come on, the Steelers drafted Ben in the first round knowing he would start one day. Brady was drafted in the sixthed rd. He was destined to be a career backup, Bill lucked out with Brady. He got a star, Yes. But he was lucky.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #13
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

"after this past year with the Pats secondry one would think you would understand that injuries happen...quickly"

That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #14
hardwork
Banned

"I mean come on, the Steelers drafted Ben in the first round knowing he would start one day."

Now cleve, nobody "knows" who's going to start one day. You can hope you've got a player, but you never KNOW.

As for "LUCKY"? Lets not forget, we are the ones who picked Brady. Projected backup or not. Other teams ignored him, we didn't.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

I give Brady his due credit... he's a winner. But I think he's a product of a great system devised by a great all-around football mind in Belichek... and Charlie Weis. I think on another team with another coach... say a defensive mind like Parcells or Saban...he's just another average QB whose put there just to protect the ball, put up 17 points and let the defense hold on. The New England offense takes advantage of his strengths while guarding his weaknesses... brilliant. But that's on Belicheck and Weis... more so on Weis... not Brady's ability. I'll be anxious to see this year with Weis gone to Notre Dame.

But again... props to New England and Brady. They do get it done.

And Ben can ignore the playbook all he wants. He's an NFL QB... not a college kid anymore. As long as he gets results... he can draw up plays in the dirt like we all did in our backyards.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

I also give Brady his props, we can only pray that Ben is as successful. I guess what I meant by lucky is when you draft a QB in the sixth round you sometimes wonder if he`ll make the final cut. They never imagined this guy would lead them to 3 rings already. Now if drafted in the first round or two, expectations are alot higher. And money.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397

well i think Ben had something to do with raising the bar too.....

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #18
hardwork
Banned

"I think on another team with another coach... say a defensive mind like Parcells or Saban...he's just another average QB whose put there just to protect the ball, put up 17 points and let the defense hold on. The New England offense takes advantage of his strengths while guarding his weaknesses... brilliant. But that's on Belicheck and Weis... more so on Weis... not Brady's ability. I'll be anxious to see this year with Weis gone to Notre Dame."

You've got a pretty good handle on it I think. If Manning had come to New England, and Brady had gone to the Colts, which QB would have gone home frustrated this year? Most likely Brady, instead of Manning. But, you have to like Brady's style. He hangs in there to the end, and he's a natural leader.

On Belichick and Weis. Weis was an aggressive play caller. Belichick is far more conservative. I think that's the first thing we'll notice this year, and it conserns me a lot.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #19
hardwork
Banned

Cleve

While I suspect they did see something in Brady, I have to agree that we were walking along, and fell in a hole that turned out to be a gold mine.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

What ever works! And it works! Unfortunatley for us.