Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #21
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Ben deny's ignoring playbook

So where do you draw the line to where you expect a player to be a successful starter and where you hope he'll be a successful starter. Interesting question when u think about it.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 AM   #22
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?
I guess he doesn't improvise afterall.
Quote:
As for "LUCKY"? Lets not forget, we are the ones who picked Brady. Projected backup or not. Other teams ignored him, we didn't.
No, you finished 8-8 and Bledsoe had just thrown 19 TDs & 21 INTs. You knew you were going to need some help someday. If you really knew about him, you wouldn't have waited until the 6th round. And you wouldn't have taken Antwan Harris before him in the same round. You had 20 guys rated the same as Brady and got lucky you picked the shell with the pea underneath.
Quote:
But, you have to like Brady's style. He hangs in there to the end, and he's a natural leader. On Belichick and Weis. Weis was an aggressive play caller. Belichick is far more conservative. I think that's the first thing we'll notice this year, and it conserns me a lot.
Goes back to what you drilled me for earlier when I asked if Brady was the reason or the coaches(ie Kobe/Shaq - stupidest thing ever). Guess we will see. Thanks for being honest, cause I can't believe that while the history of giving head coaches double duty has not been successful overall, Belichick's HC and OC roles have been given carte blanche since he won 3 of 4. I'd be worried too as a Pat fan too that you knew of no one who could help you call plays? Sorry to have a long post but I'm rolling...go back to Cowher in SBXXX on the onside kick. You see him on the earpiece asking if they should go for it and the coach sells him on it. What will Bill do? You going to ask your DC or STC for OC call help? No its all on him this year.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 AM   #23
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

BRC - the rule for me is first 3 rounds. After watching the numerous drafts and seasons I go like this...

R1- you better start in first two years
R2-R3 - You should be competing for starting job by 2nd year
R4 - R7 - Anything not negative is a positive. Cause these guys are the ones getting only hundreds of thousands , their impact of performance to money spent ratio is a goldmine if they do anything. So I expect more out of Trai than I do Fred. Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #24
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

ICC I like your 3 round rule, you never really know after that anyway. Especially at QB.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #25
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:

Bardy had to wait a year for the guy infront of him to get hurt. Ben only had to wait a few days. That's what happens when you join a weak team, you get to play right away.
1st off, must have skipped over this post because I would have commented on this a while ago. Ben's success had nothing to do with joining a weak team. He was not supposed to start his 1st year in the league, but under the circumstances he was given the chance (circumstances being injury...not losing). He was brought into a perfect situation for a rookie to be in. He was surrounded by a good system with good players, so that even with a limited playbook he was able to make things happen (and yes, I'm sure he did have to do some improvising along the way, but I don't see him improvising to help Plax, but to win-which he did up until the AFCC)
Quote:
That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?
Next...yes...it's true you guys beat us in the Playoffs (thanks for pointing it out) but lets talk some fact.
1) Our defense did not put the pressure on Brady the did in the regular season game we beat you (yes...and go ahead and say "But we didn't have Dillon" well when our starting RB was injured this season, we still got the job done, it's called depth. You don't blame a loss on a couple of injuries...you move on)
Anyways...10/31/04: Brady was 25/43, 271 yrds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 FUM, 4 SKs (72.9 rating). My point here is when put under pressure Brady did not look like the same Brady we saw in the playoffs where he was 14/21, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 FUM, 2 SKs, and a 130.5 rating (the big thing that stand out here to me is the differnce in # of atts)...the same can be said for Ben...just reverse the games.
2) The biggest factors were turnovers. The Patriots challanged Ben in the AFCCG, and in the 1st half...the Steelers did not give Ben much of a chance to put it in the air except for on 3rd downs...esp. 3rd and longs because we were running the ball every 1st and 2nd down in that game. They were playing a very conservative offense and it was very easy to predict the play calling for the Pats D (hell, if I knew what was coming...I would hope a defense would too). The bottom line is the Pats took chances in that game, and we didn't-case closed.
Back to the improvising...Ben didn't have many opportunities to improvise in that game, which may have resulted in his 1st loss as a starter in the NFL!

Sorry so long...but I had a lot to say!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #26
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

They should leave him alone. If I were getting bumrushed by some 300 plus pound behemoth defensive lineman I would be making up my own damn plays as well. Nobody ever criticizes Peyton Manning do they???
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #27
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Like I said before. How many plays really work just like they were written on paper? Improvising is Pro Football. If the Bus has a play called in the four hole and there is no hole, so he bounces it outside for an eight yard gain, he is taking was was given to him. Improvise. Ben will feel even more comfortable this year, and receivers will come back to the huddle and tell him where the soft spots are. Then he`ll drop back, and TD. We win. Thats all that matters anyway. The media sucks! Way to much attention for a nothing story.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #28
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

Hey... did you guys know Ben rides his motorcycle without a helmet... makes up plays... dates a golfer. He's a wild man!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #29
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
Hey... did you guys know Ben rides his motorcycle without a helmet... makes up plays... dates a golfer. He's a wild man!

Funny Stuff! Gotta Love Him!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #30
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Yeah, nobody in the world does any of those things, only ben! :D
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote