Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Banks on Pick #24

They can get Glenn in the first round, Josh Chapman (DT, Alabama) in the second, Nigel Bradham (LB, Florida State) or James Michael Johnson (LB, Nevada) in the third, Matt Reynolds (OT, BYU) in the fourth. Vontaze Burfict would be good in the Steelers D, but I see alot of personal fouls, fines, and suspensions in his NFL career, and I just don't think the Steelers roll the dice on a player with known character issues, doesn't seem like the Steeler way, plus they still have Stevenson Sylvester on deck.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The Steelers always take the best player available (in their view) in the draft. I don't think they will change this approach anytime soon.
Hmmm... that's the company line, but it's a bit too glib to be true. The only time in recent memory when I remember them clearly scrapping everything just to grab the BPA who had dropped to them (Rashard) was 2008, far and away Colbert's worst draft. He got a nice player in the first, the second was a bust (despite being also BPA), and the rest was almost completely worthless. They never recovered.

I think 2008 was a painful lesson that you go into the draft with a plan and you stick with it. BPA yes, but within certain parameters. I've seen a few mocks that have us taking Michael Floyd - a wide receiver - because he's supposedly the best player available at 24. But no, we are clearly not taking Malcolm Floyd at 24.

The other thing is that people say "the Steelers will take so-and-so at their slot because that's the BPA". Think about it, though: when was the last time (besides Pouncey, whose selection was the mother of all no-brainers) that anyone correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking? It just doesn't happen.

I will say this: if DeCastro drops even a little bit into, say, the high teens, I could see Colbert pulling the trigger on a trade.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The other thing is that people say "the Steelers will take so-and-so at their slot because that's the BPA". Think about it, though: when was the last time (besides Pouncey, whose selection was the mother of all no-brainers) that anyone correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking? It just doesn't happen.
I agree with you that they have a plan. They must have one. But I would say that their plan is rather flexible. I think no one correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking because people always thought that they would address their biggest needs instead of best player available.

I also agree with you that if DeCastro drops to mid 10 range, the Steelers will trade up. He's just to good not to trade up IMO.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Cordy Glenn is starting at left tackle in the Senior Bowl. That will increase his draft value if he has a solid performance.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,081 Times in 569 Posts

I dont know what drafts you guys have been watching the last decade but the steelers do not draft best available in the first round. They draft need. My guess is if hightower is there, they pick up hightower. They need a new middle linebacker who can stuff thr run. Hightower is levon kirkland II. Geta guard in the second round.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I dont know what drafts you guys have been watching the last decade but the steelers do not draft best available in the first round. They draft need. My guess is if hightower is there, they pick up hightower. They need a new middle linebacker who can stuff thr run. Hightower is levon kirkland II. Geta guard in the second round.
Well, that depends on your opinion of BPA. There are several analysts with several BPA charts, and i'm sure Pouncey was on one of them

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
Solak
Water Boy

Member Number: 22087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I like Poe or Burfict. Would love a quality O-Line guy.

Is it just me but does it seem that unless you are drafting in the top half of the draft that there is little to no difference between O-Linemen that are available between say, picks 17-64. A lot of very good linemen are picked between those numbers, but few really great ones, while at least to me the very best are high picks. Anyones thoughts on this?
I would love Poe or Burflict at 24 and then maybe Zeitler in the 2nd round? Does anyone know a lot about Poe? I never saw him, I know the talent is there but did he ever face tough competition while playing at Memphis? Otherwise what do you think of Ta'amu of Washington? Looked decent in the Senior Bowl.
Solak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

I personally agree . . . we need an O lineman.

However, Mr. Colbert has a propensity to draft BPA . . .

If any of these guys are available - my bet is that he goes BPA again . . . Man, i hope not . . . But if recent history is any indication

1.Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - 6'4 - 235
2.Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California - 6'7 - 295
3.Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - 5'11 - 224
4.Matt Barkley, QB, Southern California - 6'2 - 220
5.Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - 6'6 - 304
6.Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - 6'1 - 211
7.Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina - 6'6 - 285
8.Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina - 6'4 - 229
9.Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - 6'2 - 192
10.Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor - 6'2 - 220
11.Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina - 6'2 - 230
12.Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - 6'0 - 185
13.Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - 6'3 - 224
14.Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - 6'6 - 300
15.Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College - 6'3 - 237
16.David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - 6'5 - 310
17.Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - 5'10 - 205
18.Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama - 6'4 - 260
19.Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State - 6'3 - 250
20.Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - 6'5 - 348
21.Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama - 6'2 - 265
22.Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia - 6'0 - 185
23.Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma - 6'4 - 229
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,108 Times in 602 Posts

IMO I would like to see O-Line or D-Line first, probably in that order, then what would be the possibilities of looking at possibly a running back. Will Mendenhall ever be the same and is he the Steelers answer? It might be a good thing to either look at another running back especially if Rooney wants to get back to "Steeler Football", if not a running back how about a young fullback?
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
IMO I would like to see O-Line or D-Line first, probably in that order, then what would be the possibilities of looking at possibly a running back. Will Mendenhall ever be the same and is he the Steelers answer? It might be a good thing to either look at another running back especially if Rooney wants to get back to "Steeler Football", if not a running back how about a young fullback?

OT and DL is my only concern. We have Baron Batch, Isacc Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and several other Back's who all smoked the college level. Most of them didn't get a chance. Baron Batch is the man looking in on this situation, expect to see him running lead next year, Mendenhall probably won't be the same right away.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote