Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,195 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

pats game and tenn game has already been mentioned. funny how our "shitty line" always blocks just fine when charlie batch is in there with a gameplan implimented for his style, strenghts and weaknesses...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

The responsibility is on Arians AND Ben. Arians mostly in the red zone. Don't even try to tell me that Ben audibles to an empty backfield, 5 receiver set on 3rd and short in the red zone. That led to QB sacks and field goals all year long. Not even a chance to fool them into thinking you are running the ball and doing play action. That is all on Arians and is the reason we could not score from inside the 20. That is why he is gone. That and going to Marty ball with a lead less than a TD in the second half instead of running a wide open offense like they usually do in the first quarter. That led to a lot of games that were way too close for comfort.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,098 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
*Shitty play caller?* How do you know? If Ben scrambles, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CALLED PLAY WAS, GENIUS!?

How do you know he wasn't adjusting in-game. If Ben scrambles, the called play is dead!

WR quick screens are QB red light audibles. They are called by the QB when he sees 2 deep safetys and 7 crowding the line in run/pass red dog blitz. He knows he is going to get bum rushed, so he audibles to a quick WR screen, draw, dig, or wham. The wham usually results in the Rb getting tackled for a loss. The dig gets your Wr hurt, so that leaves a draw which they used to try with Fast Willie, and he usually got tackled for a 5 yard loss. So the Wr screen is safe and can be big if the Wr beats one guy. REGARDLESS, IT IS THE QB CALL.
O
In the red zone, those "LAZERS" actually have to be thrown, if Ben doesn't pull the trigger, then its Bens fault. He can throw it away if no one is open.

You people just don't understand fundamental football. When a QB scrambles, the O line has no idea where he is, the recievers have to improvise, and the play called in the huddle is not going to be ran.

NO OC CAN RUN OUT ON THE FIELD AND MAKE A QB PULL THE TRIGGER.

Listen, if the OC calls a red zone play, say "X fade, Y slant, Z corner", and Ben takes the snap and scrambles, THE BLOCKING BREAKS DOWN, THE RECIEVERS RUN OUT OF ROUTE, AND THE CALLED PLAY IS NOT RAN. In that called play, the QB is supposed to throw the X fade on a 3 step drop, or if the X isn't open, throw the Y slant. If that isn't open, throw the Z corner, or throw it over his head and out the end zone.
BEN SCRAMBLES. IT TURNS IN SCHOOL YARD FOOTBALL.
Rather then living in fantasy land of "what plays were they running". I tend to go by what i see week in and week out. To me, an offense as talented as ours kicking field goals inside the 10, 9 out of 10 times tells me you have a coach who doesnt know how to take advantage of opportunites on a consistent bases. Big Ben may audible here in there, but i doubt he is audibling every time they are in the red zone.

Tomlin deserves more blame, and its probably why Art II got involved. Head coach is the decider and tomlin never seemed to do anything about the suckiness of david johnson and the formations during important. Im at home on my ass and i could predict their calls. Blame it on big ben, sure, but they are the coaches, its their job to control him and the offense.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,098 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
*Shitty play caller?* How do you know? If Ben scrambles, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CALLED PLAY WAS, GENIUS!?

How do you know he wasn't adjusting in-game. If Ben scrambles, the called play is dead!

WR quick screens are QB red light audibles. They are called by the QB when he sees 2 deep safetys and 7 crowding the line in run/pass red dog blitz. He knows he is going to get bum rushed, so he audibles to a quick WR screen, draw, dig, or wham. The wham usually results in the Rb getting tackled for a loss. The dig gets your Wr hurt, so that leaves a draw which they used to try with Fast Willie, and he usually got tackled for a 5 yard loss. So the Wr screen is safe and can be big if the Wr beats one guy. REGARDLESS, IT IS THE QB CALL.
O
In the red zone, those "LAZERS" actually have to be thrown, if Ben doesn't pull the trigger, then its Bens fault. He can throw it away if no one is open.

You people just don't understand fundamental football. When a QB scrambles, the O line has no idea where he is, the recievers have to improvise, and the play called in the huddle is not going to be ran.

NO OC CAN RUN OUT ON THE FIELD AND MAKE A QB PULL THE TRIGGER.

Listen, if the OC calls a red zone play, say "X fade, Y slant, Z corner", and Ben takes the snap and scrambles, THE BLOCKING BREAKS DOWN, THE RECIEVERS RUN OUT OF ROUTE, AND THE CALLED PLAY IS NOT RAN. In that called play, the QB is supposed to throw the X fade on a 3 step drop, or if the X isn't open, throw the Y slant. If that isn't open, throw the Z corner, or throw it over his head and out the end zone.
BEN SCRAMBLES. IT TURNS IN SCHOOL YARD FOOTBALL.
Rather living in fantasy land of "what plays were they running". I tend to go by what i see week in and week out. To me, an offense as talented as ours kicking field goals inside the 10, 9 out of 10 times tells me you have a coach who doesnt know how to take advantage of opportunites on a consistent bases. Big Ben may audible here in there, but i doubt he is audibling every time they are in the red zone.

Tomlin deserves more blame, and its probably why Art II got involved. Head coach is the decider and tomlin never seemed to do anything about the suckiness of david johnson and the formations during important down. Im at home on my ass and i could predict their calls. Blame it on big ben, sure, but they are the coaches, its their job to control him and the offense.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Im no fan of BA... BUT, 2 superbowl wins? Ben has passed pretty well under him. Sure there are issues and I do believe we were ready for a change. The roasting here is a bit much.

But, what I think sealed the deal, was Mendys 1st and goal on the inches line, and they shut him down 4 times without going to Redman. However, Tomlin was standing right next to him, what did Rooneys chump do? Ignored it and did nothing to say hey, lets change the back. Turned to Dick and passed the torch to him with some words.

I sure hope they figured out we need an Oline lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

I think both Ben and BA were responsible for the inept O play. BA had some questionable plays at times but Ben held onto the ball way to long on plays that were dead. When Ben held onto the ball too long the play either ended up in a loss or turnover.

Some of you seem to forget that we had a 12 - 4 record and were in the Super Bowl last year. This team has some issues but what team doesn't? (The Giants and Patriots have their issues too).
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
Timbo
Water Boy

Member Number: 20505

Quote:

This seems to be the main point of your argument in every comment you make. You grasp the fact that all of these heroic, miraculous victories we witness are on Ben's shoulders. The extended plays, the laser accuracy in crucial moments (witnessed yet again in the Wild Card loss), these intangibles have won Super Bowls for Pittsburgh. Bruce Arians can't coach that. Like you said, over 50% of his called plays are never ran. Regardless if this is Ben's fault or the O Line or the call itself, it still leaves no evidence of Bruce Arians being a good play caller (or bad for that matter).

I think there is evidence of the Steelers relying on unnecessary heroics from Big Ben. I think Mr. Rooney realizes that is not a long term plan for success and wants to 'tweak' the offense into a reliable scoring machine that can blow teams out, not rely on miracles. Whether Bruce gave Ben too much freedom to ignore his play calls or the calls were just shitty and broke down, the inconsistency was obvious and this buddy-buddy shit needed to stop. I'm looking forward to moving forward!
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Quote:
I think its funny when owners use their position to dictate football philosophy and make judgements on players and coachs.

Fans do the same thing.

The truth is that "unless you are wearing headphones, and hear what plays are being called", then you can't judge anyone, especially when you don't watch film and study tendencies of the opposing offense or defense.

Oc's and DC's make "INFORMED" decisions when they call plays. [ I HOPE ALL YOU EXPERTS JUST READ THAT AND IT SUNK IN].

BUT THE PLAYS THEY CALL AREN'T ALWAYS THE PLAY THAT GETS RAN. THE QB CAN AUDIBLE, THE PLAY CAN BREAK DOWN, THE QB CAN SCRAMBLE, AND THE PLAY JUST MIGHT NOT BE THERE.

Ben scrambles on at least 50% of pass plays, so we know for a certainty that 50% of pass plays called aren't ran.

After every single game I find myself wondering what would happen if Ben would run more than 50% of the plays called. I'd be very interested to see how Ariens would be percieved if he had a QB that ran the plays that Ariens called, instead of holding the ball and scrambling. It seems like when Ben does drop back and throw on rhythm, the reciever is usally there, the ball is just usually poorly thrown.

I think Ariens would be considered an offensive genius if he had a drop back rhythm passer. At least we could then judge his play calling skills.

exactly!
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,788 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Oh god, kill it before it lays eggs!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote