Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #21
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: USA Today's 2006 Player Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
There is a strong suspicion that Alexander benefits greatly from one of the best O-Line's in the NFL - which is a chicken and egg scenario that wont be resolved until another back tries to run behind it.

LaDainian has put up phenomonal numbers in a team with no QB (for the most part) and a poorly regarded O-Line, factor in which conference Alexander plays in and you have your answer.

I'd love to see Tomlinson get a ring, but only if the Patriots were already out of the running.

NM
Actually, I agree about Shaun. He is not an all around RB. Doesn't block, doesn't catch. But he fits our system really well. I was kinda curious to see how he would have played if he had gone ot another team as a free agent. I just though he might get a mention after the hyperinflated numbers he put up last year.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
dhosmer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I think they will go for.

RB - Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander (Elite) - Joseph Addai (Up'n'comer)

QB - Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (Elite) - Rex Grossman (Up'n'comer)

NM
Charlie Frye? Rex Grossman? Why aren't we choosing someone that has been in the league a couple of years and looked great but isn't at Brady or Manning status yet? Like Ben, or gasp... Palmer? Frye looked terrified last year, granted he was a rookie. The only award I'm giving to Grossman is Most Likely to be Injured in Preseason.
dhosmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Actually, I agree about Shaun. He is not an all around RB. Doesn't block, doesn't catch. But he fits our system really well. I was kinda curious to see how he would have played if he had gone ot another team as a free agent. I just though he might get a mention after the hyperinflated numbers he put up last year.
Thats a good honest post.

He ranks up there in the top 3 or 4, along with Tiki Barber.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhosmer
Charlie Frye? Rex Grossman? Why aren't we choosing someone that has been in the league a couple of years and looked great but isn't at Brady or Manning status yet? Like Ben, or gasp... Palmer? Frye looked terrified last year, granted he was a rookie. The only award I'm giving to Grossman is Most Likely to be Injured in Preseason.
Seems to me that the criteria for the up'n'comer award is having been in the league only a year or so.

If you look at the TE position - you have a guy that hasn't played a down for a couple of years.

Personally I like Grossmans mechanics, the few opportunities I got to see him last year he threw the ball well in very defense friendly conditions...snow etc etc.

He was a massive step up from Kyle Orton (which I know isn't saying much), but he energised his offense with his presence straight away.

Another thing to remember is that he plays for a very Defense minded team - they dont have a great deal to offer on 'O' - but maybe that will chnage if Cedric Benson is as good as they say he is.

Palmer and Roethlisberger have already 'arrived' - but they aren't in Brady's class yet.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
So basically all he does is score touchdowns? (to use the great quote that Buddy Ryan used to describe Cris Carter )
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
So basically all he does is score touchdowns? (to use the great quote that Buddy Ryan used to describe Cris Carter )
Yup. I'm not complaining. The man can run the ball. But I think a lot of people out here think he has the potential to be among the all time greatest if he chose to catch a ball here or there and protect Hasslebeck more. Course, if he tried doing all those things, maybe he would not have been so resistant to inuries. The man is a freaking horse and hasn't missed a start for years. Anyway, at this point, it probably would be too much of a risk to change his game. But defensive coordinators would be getting less sleep the week before a Hawks game if he did choose to be more versatle.