Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Post Jackon in a rush to improve

It all came so easy for Alonzo Jackson at Florida State. Line up at defensive end, stick your right hand on the ground and go get 'em.

Darrell Sapp, Post-Gazette
Alonzo Jackson hopes to regain the form that propelled him to collegiate success at Florida State.
Click photo for larger image.

"That's all I did. That's it," Jackson remembered, fondly. "Edge guy in the 4-3. I played on the right. Goin' every time."

He sacked quarterbacks 13 times in 2002, the fourth-most in Seminoles history.

"Run downs? I'm still goin'. They just said 'go' and they reacted to us. We were more of an attacking-style defense, every play I'm coming off the ball 100 miles per hour and the offensive tackle had to react to me."

Not anymore. Since the Steelers drafted Jackson in the second round in 2003 with the idea he would become a premier pass-rusher, all he has done is watch others do it.

He has been out of his Steelers uniform for more than twice as many games (22) than he has dressed (10). He has played in parts, many brief appearances, of eight games. He has two solo tackles on defense, one assist and no sacks.

Jackson was bypassed early last season by journeyman James Harrison, who signed five days before training camp after a player was injured, as the top backup at outside linebacker. This spring, Jackson is desperately trying not to get surpassed on the 53-man roster.

He lost 11 pounds, down to 258, in an attempt to become quicker and he's willing to do anything the coaches ask of him. But if he doesn't do better than he has in his first two seasons, he could go down with Scott Shields (1999) and Jeremy Staat (1998) as second-round picks who flamed out before they ever caught fire.

"It will be a big year for Alonzo Jackson," coach Bill Cowher said.

here's the rest
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Jackon in a rush to improve

We are running out of room at LB, he may have missed his chance.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

the fact that we need depth at LB is the only reason his ass is still around on this team at this point. Harrison, Wallace, and Roper definately have the edge right now over jackson, IMO. plus kreidwalt is still a backup at MLB and ST captain so, yeah, his chances are quite slim unless he blows away everyone in camp and pre season.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397

kreidwalt is great at ST but at LB he does not impress me......i think that they have to keep Jackson just to see...

and for that fact Harrison is alot better off at ST....he makes soo much more an impact there...

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Know doubt we keep Jackson, I agree. But I think he has missed his oppurtunities.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Kriedwalt is still a team favorite though, As in in the longshot thread of a while ago, I would still put some money on him.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

I wouldnt count out kreidwalt either.. the guy is one of the best specail teamers in the league, let along on our team.. he may not be all that servicable in the middle as a starter, but u know he can take a hit and dish it out as well as anybody the way he flies around out there. IF jackson stays on, it will be by the shear need for another body, and all depends on the cap space and if BC wants too keep an extra DB or OL instead. There may just not be enough room, but we shall see.

Either way, its his last shot, time to put up or shut up!!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
STEEL-MAN
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 391

no, it's time to move on!
STEEL-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL-MAN
no, it's time to move on!

Well said!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400

I'll be very interested to watch how Dedrick Roper performs. He and Nick McNeil were brought in last year as UDFA's. I thought both or either one of those guys could make the team. If my memory serves me correctly, McNeil (from Western Carolina I believe) was cut early. But Roper stuck. Nothing earth-shattering from Roper but he was damn solid. Much better than Zo IMHO. Zo looked awful in the preseason game against the Lions. I think he was running down the field after Charles Rogers at one point. Maybe Zo was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But with his track record, who is going to believe that.

Roper was cut at some point, signed by the Rams and then cut by the Rams and signed to the practice squad by the Steelers.

I thought Roper did a good job last year, albeit in the preseason. Potentially a hidden treasure, much as Willie Parker appeared to be (in small doses of course).

But to temper enthusiasm about Roper, even if he makes the 53 man roster, he'll probably be inactive most weeks, much like Zo was. That's assuming Zo is the LB cut and Kriewaldt sticks. Sure, there are scenarios to where Roper is active for most weeks but it'll be an uphill battle for Roper. Still, I think he has a bright future ahead of him.
stillers4strife is offline   Reply With Quote