Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Rooney needs to own and stop meddling

Rooney can say whatever he wants about a team he owns. This is like saying the owner of any business can't say anything to his workers if he doesn't like how things are going. You don't like how certain things are happening in a division in your company, you make the ax fall and that person is gone. Just because the media blows things way out of proportion like never before does not mean the Rooneys have never had any input into what goes on with their team. Maybe he should have talked to Tomlin back channel and had him do the firing but he has a right to do it any way he sees fit.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Im glad he said something, we were ALL thinking it but I was beginning to wonder if nobody that is a part of that team was seeing it. The offense was horrible with tons of talent for years, yet it seemed like everybody on the team thought it was fine. Rooney showed that there is still common sense in this teams management, at least at the highest level. Not like he comments often.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Im glad he said something, we were ALL thinking it but I was beginning to wonder if nobody that is a part of that team was seeing it. The offense was horrible with tons of talent for years, yet it seemed like everybody on the team thought it was fine. Rooney showed that there is still common sense in this teams management, at least at the highest level. Not like he comments often.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

too many homers here
Rooney is making Tomlin look inept to a degree.
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
too many homers here
If Rooney is doing anything that makes Tomlin look inept, it's just shining a light. If ineptitude is appearing, that's what's already there.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,557 Posts
My Mood: Tired

how can Tomlin be inept to a degree? He's either capable of being head coach or not, I don't think there are degrees in between. And I'd have to say in my opinion Tomlin is capable of coaching this team.

Rooney has shown that he can bring Championships to Pittsburgh and that he knows how to be a good owner.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
how can Tomlin be inept to a degree? He's either capable of being head coach or not, I don't think there are degrees in between. And I'd have to say in my opinion Tomlin is capable of coaching this team.

Rooney has shown that he can bring Championships to Pittsburgh and that he knows how to be a good owner.
THE Elder rooneys have shown it
New Jack Rooney Owner (59 Year old version has not)
You get one bad apple Rooney and they can ruin it

We MAY have that rotten apple with this current Rooney

We need Elder Rooney to drop the Ambassador role and come back and handle Steeler business

I just dont see any positives in him commenting and Ben having to answer questions that force him to make statements saying he is going to talk to the owner.

When Ben responded to that question that's when I realized Rooney needs to shut his pie hole. Those types of comments need to stay out of the media.
A savvy unselfish owner would have known that

That is a classic in house conversation we should only hear about 10 years after Ben retires
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
too many homers here
I am certain Tomlin and Rooney spoke , and Rooney gave consideration to what Tomlin had to say. Rooney did nothing wrong, in this day of mega media a player or owner can't sneeze without the media reporting on it.
Just like the media some of the fans are bowing this all out of proportion. If I read anything into this it's that Tomlin may just be on the hot seat as well. The fact that Tomlin didn't appear to keep control of Arians and the Offense forced Rooney to act. And if Ben was doing his own thing and not following the plan, I am sure that will be addressed with a new OC.
Of course this is all speculation on my part, as it is with most posters on here.

And here we go again with the "homer" label. What the hell is that anyway, Steeler fans not wanting to bash the ownership or any one else in the organization on a particular topic, support the team and we get called "Homer" as if its a negative thing. What a bunch of bullshit.

Damn right I am a "homer" I am passionate about the Steelers and support them no matter what and quite frankly support whatever decision they may make. I may not always agree but in the end they do what they think is best.
The Steeler way has worked out pretty well over the years and thats good enough for me!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I'm glad Art Rooney II speaks out to the media and fans. He keeps us in the loop. I think he respects the fans a lot more then people perceive. And the owners are the ones who spent a billion dollars to own a franchise they have every right to meddle. Rooney probably sits there every game like the fans and wonders why his offense has over 300 yards but the score is like 10-7?
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,508 Times in 3,742 Posts

Based on his comments in his online chat today Bob Smizik apparently believes the relationship between Tomlin and Rooney has hit a rough patch

In retrospect, the decision by Rooney was surprising, the breach of Steelers protocol was shocking. The Steelers usually have their ducks in a row. On this matter they did not. Unbelievable poor communications between Rooney and Tomlin. So poor, in fact, I wonder if there's not something deliberate about the way it was handled. ...

Is Art mildly upset with the head coach over something?
Bob Smizik: You would think there is something wrong in the relationship between the two men. Rooney certainly hung Tomlin out to dry with the way he handed the Arians firing.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ob-smizik-chat
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote