Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Thumbs up Readers react: Owners rankings drew ire, especially from Pitt fans

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that you guys have done it. The man is apologizing for his unreasonable mistake by placing Mr. Rooney in 10th. Because WE went nuts.

=================================================
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eax/index.html
=================================================

The first time I spoke to Dan Rooney, in the owner's modest office in Three Rivers Stadium a couple of days before the 1994 AFC Championship Game, I was struck by his utter disinterest in making sure I knew he was the boss. Here he was, a bona fide NFL legend, and yet unlike so many of his peers -- and, let's face it, so many far less accomplished men and women in various contexts, from boardroom to bar door -- he possessed no need to make you feel his power.

Eventually, I fished for and landed the anecdote I needed to translate all of that to the pages of SI, though thanks to the San Diego Chargers' subsequent victory over the heavily favored Steelers, it never actually ran: Rooney, on that Sunday and virtually all others, arrived at the game without pomp or circumstance -- or, for that matter, muscle or entourage.

He merely emerged from the front door of his nearby home, strolled among the tailgaters and football-tossing neighborhood kids and walked right up to the main entrance of Three Rivers Stadium, where he handed his ticket to the usher and proceeded inside.

Hearing that made me want to hug the man. It was part of the reason I admire the Steelers and love the city of Pittsburgh -- and it's one reason I'm not surprised that after releasing my NFL owner rankings last week, many of you reacted as though I'd just rated Oprah as the No. 10 daytime talk-show host.

Today, for the most part, I yield the floor to some of Rooney's many defenders, as well as those readers disputing (or championing) the rankings of the NFL's other 31 owners, many of whom appear to be as beloved as a swarm of hungry mosquitoes.

And speaking of my otherwise awesome camping trip to Lake Tahoe, we begin with an abridged version of an e-mail I received from a longtime Steelers supporter -- we'll call him Deep Primanti, and trust me, he is far from an apologist when it comes to the franchise -- whose missive to my personal account (subject line: "Puh-leeze") was digested, thanks to my brand-new Moto Q, while chilling on a gorgeous beach at Meeks Bay.

Last edited by SteelersMongol; 07-08-2006 at 09:51 AM.
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Readers react: Owners rankings drew ire, especially from Pitt fans

Smart move on his part. Silver saved some face.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Kudos to him for writing this article....most writers wouldnt....
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Kudos for saving face and writing this article.

I'll take the Rooneys over the Jerry Joneses and the Robert Krafts of the world any day.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS FOOTBALL:THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Biased Yes I am, but how could the Rooneys not be number one? Top three atleast. I guess its what the judgement is on. If your looking for the owners to put good football teams on the field year after year consistantly for 30 years, if your looking for an owner that has very high moral standards. And if your looking for longevity in the owners family. Look no further, How can the new owners that brought millions to the table to buy into the NFL, compare to owners who built teams from scratch as the Rooneys did, Old money vs. new money I guess???

My vote THE ROONEYS! Hands friggin down!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

That was no apology.......He just brought up a memory from 12 years ago on how he admired "THE MAN". Funny how he forgot about that and all the other accomplishments the Rooneys have done for football when he wrote the article. Give him another chance to write the article again I bet not much changes. Silver is a dumbass!!!!!

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

It doesn't appear to me that he has changed his mind about his rankings.

Just a shmaltzy story to try and deflect some of the criticism he received in the aftermath of his owners 'power-rankings' - this latest article is just another way of generating free press for what basically a flawed, poorly thought out original piece of journalism.

I would have even less respect for him if he actually did change his mind after some fans complained about it.

That would mean one of two things -

1. He is so weak minded his own opinion can be swayed by the opinions angry fans

2. The article was so poorly researched he genuinely misunderstood the influence the Rooneys have had on football.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I was at a wedding last night here in Ohio. The Bride if from a family that has been like part of our own family for many many years, We are all Die Hard Steelers Fans. She married into a browns fans family. And her father came up to me and said " Glenn they, the browns fans, just don`t get it. Its not just football, its not just a game. Its so much more" And it is I`m sorry to say alot of so-called fans just don`t get it. the Rooneys get it, and alot of us get it. Last night they played the Steelers Fight Song and we had a hundred fans on the dance floor screaming and singing along. I`m not embarrassed to admit that I had goose bumps from head to toe. Then they followed it up with Family Tradition by Hank Jr. we Steelers fans are family. And the Rooneys are the God fathers of our family. Yes maybe we are a bit biased. But we have a damn good reason for it.

Here We Go Steelers! Here We Go Rooneys!

The only thing that matters is that we know that we have the best owners in football!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I was at a wedding last night here in Ohio. The Bride if from a family that has been like part of our own family for many many years, We are all Die Hard Steelers Fans. She married into a browns fans family. And her father came up to me and said " Glenn they, the browns fans, just don`t get it. Its not just football, its not just a game. Its so much more" And it is I`m sorry to say alot of so-called fans just don`t get it. the Rooneys get it, and alot of us get it. Last night they played the Steelers Fight Song and we had a hundred fans on the dance floor screaming and singing along. I`m not embarrassed to admit that I had goose bumps from head to toe. Then they followed it up with Family Tradition by Hank Jr. we Steelers fans are family. And the Rooneys are the God fathers of our family. Yes maybe we are a bit biased. But we have a damn good reason for it.

Here We Go Steelers! Here We Go Rooneys!

The only thing that matters is that we know that we have the best owners in football!
Preach it brother.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

It's okay, the Rooneys got number1 on ESPN's Who's Number One? Best Owners.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote