Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Maurice Clarett finds a home

I can't help but laugh at this...especially because of the part I have bolded.

Quote:
Clarett reportedly to sign with indoor league
Former Ohio State star has oral agreement to join Mahoning Valley Hitmen

Former Ohio State star running back Maurice Clarett, who failed to catch on with an NFL team after being cut by the Denver Broncos last year, has an oral agreement to play with an indoor league team, the Columbus Post-Dispatch reported Thursday.

Clarett was expected to sign a contract with the Mahoning Valley (Ohio) Hitmen of the Eastern Indoor Football League, the newspaper reported.

Hitmen coach Jim Terry said he sent the contract to Clarett on Wednesday, the Post-Dispatch reported.

"I?ve never seen a player this excited at this level of play," Terry said of Clarett, the newspaper reported. "This isn?t a runner?s league. It?s a passer?s league. And (Clarett) is going to try to make it on the ground."

Clarett led Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, then was suspended and took on the NFL in court, challenging the requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro. After losing on appeal, he was drafted by the Denver Broncos, then cut before the team?s first game last fall. He hasn?t played since the 2003 Fiesta Bowl against Miami.

It's unclear if Clarett will ever play for the Hitmen, because the team currently has just four players on its roster, the newspaper reported.

The Hitmen plan to hold open tryouts in August, the newspaper reported, and Terry hopes the league will begin play in January or February.

"I don?t want this to be like a bowling league with a new guy or new team leaving every year," Terry said, the Post-Dispatch reported.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13742205/

Only 4 players so far and they're still holding tryouts...anyone here interested in playing with Maurice?
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Maurice Clarett finds a home

The CFL will eventually take him. They are hard up for anything up there.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
The CFL will eventually take him. They are hard up for anything up there.
I agree, and he'll probably get as much ink printed about it as Ricky Williams does.
Such a huge waste of talent!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I'd look for Jim Brown to resurface in the near future.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Maurice Clarett is a joke. Talk about wasted opportunities. That guy should have played his cards right.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I'll go try out for saftey,lol!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

He found a home alright.....

Clarett agrees to plea deal, will serve 3? years
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett was sentenced to prison for at least 3? years Monday after pleading guilty to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon.

Judge David Fais announced the agreement on the day jury selection was to begin in a case in which Clarett is accused of holding up two people outside a bar.

The concealed weapon charge was from his August arrest after a highway chase with police who found four loaded guns in Clarett's sport utility vehicle after they spiked the tires. Police used pepper spray to subdue and handcuff Clarett, who was wearing a bulletproof vest.

The deal called for a 7?-year sentence with release possible after 3? years. The 22-year-old player also agreed to serve five years of probation after the prison sentence.

Clarett, 22, said he understood he was pleading guilty and reversing his earlier innocent plea.

"I'd like to apologize for my behavior, and I accept the time that was given to me,'' he said.

After the deal was announced, he looked over at his mother who was sobbing and holding his 8-week-old daughter while sitting next to his girlfriend.

Assistant Prosecutor Tim Mitchell said the plea deal is consistent with how his office handles similar cases.

"Anyone else would have gone to prison. He's not getting any special treatment,'' Mitchell said.

"As robberies go it wasn't as bad as some I've seen.''

Authorities said Clarett flashed a gun and robbed the two people of a cell phone early Jan. 1.

The deal was completed Monday morning after prosecutors were able to meet with the robbery victims. One victim said all he wanted was an apology, but prosecutors were adamant about prison time, Mitchell said.

Defense attorneys left the courtroom without commenting.

A victims' assistant from the prosecutor's office read a statement from the robbery victims, who said the ordeal has been hard on all aspects of their lives.

"Mr. Clarett, we hope you will use this opportunity to help someone along the way," the statement said.

After the police-chase incident, Clarett was charged with two counts of failure to comply with an order from a police officer and improper handling of a firearm, in addition to the concealed-weapon charge.

The case generated such intense media coverage Clarett's attorneys asked the court to pay for a public opinion poll to determine if an impartial jury could be seated for the robbery trial. Fais denied the request.

Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, but that was the last game he played for the Buckeyes.

After dropping out of Ohio State, he lost a U.S. Supreme Court case challenging the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro. The Denver Broncos made Clarett a surprise third-round pick in the NFL's 2005 draft but cut him during the preseason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2593068
Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

All that potential straight down the tubes. So many people would love to have the shot he did.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

It's actually nice and refreshing to see the judicial system put it's foot down on some of these athletes.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I can't help but feel sorry for him. Maybe he can get his life turned around and get the mental help he needs.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote