Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,466 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary.

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.
there's nobody who knows our defense inside and out like butler does right now, and DL is not a lock to work for the next 5 years even if he says he will be. age is a mother****er.

besides butler is a younger coach who can also add fresh new ideas for the defense. he is ready and I think he will even be better than lebeau is right now. coaches lose their edge with age, and althout lebeau is one of the all-time greats, I think he's not the top DC he used to be. He's still good, but some games really make me scratch my head, like that denver debacle

me personally, i think he should have retired years ago. Once a coach has retirement in the back of their mind and needs to 'think about coming back or retiring the next season', they need to hang it up. When you're at that point, you no longer have that competitive fire that made you great. that's not a knock on lebeau, that's just life. happened to the best of em, even Noll.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,518 Times in 3,751 Posts
Default Re: Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

me personally, i think he should have retired years ago. Once a coach has retirement in the back of their mind and needs to 'think about coming back or retiring the next season', they need to hang it up. When you're at that point, you no longer have that competitive fire that made you great. that's not a knock on lebeau, that's just life. happened to the best of em, even Noll.
Maybe like lots of folks in professions where you devote so much time to work LeBeau does not know WTF he would do without football?

That certainly was what was driving Joe Paterno to hang on - even before the Sandusky catastrophe Joe Pa, rest his soul, had hung around at least 10 years too long
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,054 Times in 2,142 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Look at Farve, he retired six times lmao

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Maybe like lots of folks in professions where you devote so much time to work LeBeau does not know WTF he would do without football?

That certainly was what was driving Joe Paterno to hang on - even before the Sandusky catastrophe Joe Pa, rest his soul, had hung around at least 10 years too long
but there will never be another JoePa...

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Lebeau just produced another #1 defense, even if it was somewhat cheapened by our weak schedule and the egg in Denver. He shouldn't be pushed out the door after that, but it looks clear to me that Butler will take the reins within the next year or two. Maybe one year learning directly from Dick before he takes over. He wouldn't have turned down the Colts job if he thought he was going to have to wait for five years.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Lebeau just produced another #1 defense, even if it was somewhat cheapened by our weak schedule and the egg in Denver. He shouldn't be pushed out the door after that, but it looks clear to me that Butler will take the reins within the next year or two. Maybe one year learning directly from Dick before he takes over. He wouldn't have turned down the Colts job if he thought he was going to have to wait for five years.

You absolutely cannot push DL out the door. He's done nothing to deserve that. He's still out coaching almost every other defense in the league.

I expect this is more of a financial thing. Butler wants to stay in Pittsburgh because it's his home. If he was cool with leaving pittsburgh and was really wanting to be a DC or even a HC...he would have left a while ago.

I suspect Mr. Butler is our new assistant head coach, much like Russ Grimm was while Cowher was still here. Give him raise, tell him he'll be the next DC if DL leaves..if not he still gets the $ he wants.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
there's nobody who knows our defense inside and out like butler does right now, and DL is not a lock to work for the next 5 years even if he says he will be. age is a mother****er.

besides butler is a younger coach who can also add fresh new ideas for the defense. he is ready and I think he will even be better than lebeau is right now. coaches lose their edge with age, and althout lebeau is one of the all-time greats, I think he's not the top DC he used to be. He's still good, but some games really make me scratch my head, like that denver debacle

Well Butler is almost 60 so not really a young coach. All his NFL experience is under DL so more than likely thats the type of defense he will run when he gets his chance. ( not a bad thing)
I'm just not sure looking at his resume what part of it jumps out as super coach ?

I guess they figure he has done well with the linebackers and will be a smooth transition from DL.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Honestly I think I would sit them both down or at least LeBeau first and find out what his thoughts are on when he sees his self stepping down. I would even consider making Butler the DC and keeping LeBeau in some other capacity to continue mentoring for another year, with the stipulation that Butler is in charge.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,054 Times in 2,142 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Well based on the news of Butler returning, it seems he was told want he wanted to hear. He's probably sporting a glorified tag and a hefty paycheck. He'll likely be Defensive Coordinator following next season. I think this is Dick's last season as the DC.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Well based on the news of Butler returning, it seems he was told want he wanted to hear. He's probably sporting a glorified tag and a hefty paycheck. He'll likely be Defensive Coordinator following next season. I think this is Dick's last season as the DC.
I'm not so sure. Considering the speed with which his contract was renewed this year - basically within seconds of the Denver game - it seemed to me like the job is his not quite for as long as he wants it, but close.