Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?


By Joe Starkey
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oh, to be a fly pattern on the wall when Ben Roethlisberger sits down with Steelers president Art Rooney II to discuss the future of the team's offense.

Will the Steelers adopt the Rooney-n-Shoot?

Will they go back to three Arts and a cloud of dust?

Not that I expect the conversation to turn ugly. I didn't hear any hostility in Roethlisberger's voice when he spoke at the Pro Bowl the other day. He simply expressed a desire to "go up to Mr. Rooney's office" and talk.

That seems reasonable in the wake of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' "retirement" and Rooney's assessment that Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his game.

It's not like Ben is going up there with a gun. But if I'm him, I'm armed with a couple of game tapes -- the Kansas City win, for example, when he made a dozen miraculous plays merely to stay upright, let alone find a receiver -- and a few pertinent questions.

Such as:

What are you going to do with the $3.5 million left guard who can't pass block and keeps putting us at 2nd-and-20? How about you tweak that?

Who's going to protect the blind side?

This organization's best thinking resulted in Jonathan Scott manning the left-tackle position to start the season. Trai Essex spent time there, for goodness sake. They finally pulled a guy off his couch to take the job and were lucky Max Starks was in such good shape.

What an insane way to protect a $102 million investment.

Second-year tackle Marcus Gilbert might make the switch from right to left, but what's the backup plan with Starks now a free agent coming off knee surgery?

Rooney is right that Roethlisberger, nearing 30, must take less punishment. But it's a delicate balance because no quarterback works better off contact.

Roethlisberger's size and ability to extend plays are what make him unique -- and nobody is going to change his swashbuckling style.

Now, maybe he could slide once in a while and quit making tackles on interceptions. But the "get rid of the ball" mantra is a bit worn. Roethlisberger knows how to play the pocket rhythm game. Check the New England tape from Oct. 30.

The most logical way to reduce quarterback hits is to improve the line.

Meanwhile, the coordinator shakeup represents an interesting litmus test for Rooney, whose nine-year tenure has been a smashing success. He has not yet explained his role in the Arians ouster, dancing around it with such dexterity that Hines Ward should lend him the Mirror Ball Trophy for a month.

In an interview on the team's website, Rooney was asked the following: "Bruce Arians retired, and there are reports out there that you are the guy who retired him. What's your take on that?"

Replied the Art-ful dodger: "I think the questions of how we got here are not really relevant. The key now is that Mike (Tomlin, the head coach, remember him?) has begun the search for our next coordinator, and he'll do a good job of finding the right person."

The "right person" should be aware that the team president apparently has definite ideas of what he'd like to see when the Steelers break the huddle.

Presumably, he will convey those ideas to Big Ben.

Maybe this is normal. Maybe Tom Brady is breaking down game tape with Patriots owner Robert Kraft even as we speak. Maybe Eli Manning and Ann Mara are crafting the Giants' game plan for the Super Bowl.

Or maybe meddling Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is proof that owners should own, coaches should coach, and players should play.

On the other hand, an owner who knows when to pick his spots can buoy a franchise. Which is precisely what Rooney's father, Dan, did when it came time for the Steelers to make their first-round pick in 2004.

As Dan Rooney recounted in his 2007 autobiography, "Our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas, as our likely number-one pick.

"But when our turn came, I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

Pretty good move.

We'll know soon enough if the son has the father's magic touch when it comes to tweaking the offense.

Joe Starkey can be reached at jraystarkey@gmail.com or .

Read more: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds? - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1kp3ijnJ1
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,306
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,316
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

i think its funny how now even the national media wants to champion arians cause( starkey and all the other local's aside).

rooney is an attorney by trade and a really good attorney can say ANYTHING but the truth without telling a lie, which is exactly what art II is being accused of here recently in regards to bruce's firing.

i blame arians' neice&nephewnation and all the other apologists for being too dense to read between the lines for the past 2 years.

dumb is as dumb does. arians nation woulda kept bruce.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
former RB
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Member Number: 20530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

I think its funny when owners use their position to dictate football philosophy and make judgements on players and coachs.

Fans do the same thing.

The truth is that "unless you are wearing headphones, and hear what plays are being called", then you can't judge anyone, especially when you don't watch film and study tendencies of the opposing offense or defense.

Oc's and DC's make "INFORMED" decisions when they call plays. [ I HOPE ALL YOU EXPERTS JUST READ THAT AND IT SUNK IN].

BUT THE PLAYS THEY CALL AREN'T ALWAYS THE PLAY THAT GETS RAN. THE QB CAN AUDIBLE, THE PLAY CAN BREAK DOWN, THE QB CAN SCRAMBLE, AND THE PLAY JUST MIGHT NOT BE THERE.

Ben scrambles on at least 50% of pass plays, so we know for a certainty that 50% of pass plays called aren't ran.

As far as running plays go, if the run game isn't averaging at least 4.0 per attempt, most OC's go to the pass. But,who's fault is it if the run game doesn't average 4.0 per attempt. More often than not, it is the O Line coaches fault. I noticed that steeler O Linemen are poorly coached, and they appear to be physically weak. THEY LOOK SOFT AND FATTY.

The steeler O line should be employing trap blocks, pulling guards, running pass blocking draw runs, running counter tres, and and using an H-back. There is no shame in chop blocks either, it you have to do it to take a D lineman off his feet. The Steeler O line tries to drive bock, and can't. When they pass block, they get trucked.

After every single game I find myself wondering what would happen if Ben would run more than 50% of the plays called. I'd be very interested to see how Ariens would be percieved if he had a QB that ran the plays that Ariens called, instead of holding the ball and scrambling. It seems like when Ben does drop back and throw on rhythm, the reciever is usally there, the ball is just usually poorly thrown.

I think Ariens would be considered an offensive genius if he had a drop back rhythm passer. At least we could then judge his play calling skills.

I believe that a guy like Dermonti Dawson would make a good O line coach. He had a good football IQ and seemed to be a master of leverage.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
former RB
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Member Number: 20530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think its funny how now even the national media wants to champion arians cause( starkey and all the other local's aside).

rooney is an attorney by trade and a really good attorney can say ANYTHING but the truth without telling a lie, which is exactly what art II is being accused of here recently in regards to bruce's firing.

i blame arians' neice&nephewnation and all the other apologists for being too dense to read between the lines for the past 2 years.

dumb is as dumb does. arians nation woulda kept bruce.
The Head coach and QB are in a position to judge Ariens, because they are wearing headgear that hears what plays are called, and they see that less than 50% are actually ran. National media isn't as stupid as you are. They are aware that Ben runs less than 1/2 of the plays called by Ariens because Ben holds the ball too long.
I think its funny when people like you make uninformed judgements and opinions about an Oc or Dc ability, when anybody with a pair of eyes knows that Ben rarely runs a play he calles in the huddle. BEN MAKES THE OC LOOK BAD BECAUSE HE DOESN'T RUN THE PLAY CALLED, AND HE MAKES THE O LINE LOOK BAD BECAUSE THE O LINE HAS KNOW IDEA HOW TO BLOCK IF BEN SCRAMBLES - THEY DON'T HAVE EYES ON THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS. THATS WHY BEN HAS SO MUCH TROUBLE PASSING EVEN IF HE DOES SCRAMBLE AND BUY TIME - THE WR'S ARE JUST RUNNING FIRE ROUTES BECAUSE THE CALLED ROUTE IS LONG DEAD.

IF YOU GOT PAID TO MAKE POSTS HERE, I THINK YOU'D GET FIRED. YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT ANYTHING YOU SAY. YOUR OPINIONS ARE BASED ON IGNORANCE.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter
 
Bayz101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 8,268
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18856
Thanks: 2,036
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,117 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
I think its funny when owners use their position to dictate football philosophy and make judgements on players and coachs.

Fans do the same thing.

The truth is that "unless you are wearing headphones, and hear what plays are being called", then you can't judge anyone, especially when you don't watch film and study tendencies of the opposing offense or defense.

Oc's and DC's make "INFORMED" decisions when they call plays. [ I HOPE ALL YOU EXPERTS JUST READ THAT AND IT SUNK IN].

BUT THE PLAYS THEY CALL AREN'T ALWAYS THE PLAY THAT GETS RAN. THE QB CAN AUDIBLE, THE PLAY CAN BREAK DOWN, THE QB CAN SCRAMBLE, AND THE PLAY JUST MIGHT NOT BE THERE.

Ben scrambles on at least 50% of pass plays, so we know for a certainty that 50% of pass plays called aren't ran.

As far as running plays go, if the run game isn't averaging at least 4.0 per attempt, most OC's go to the pass. But,who's fault is it if the run game doesn't average 4.0 per attempt. More often than not, it is the O Line coaches fault. I noticed that steeler O Linemen are poorly coached, and they appear to be physically weak. THEY LOOK SOFT AND FATTY.

The steeler O line should be employing trap blocks, pulling guards, running pass blocking draw runs, running counter tres, and and using an H-back. There is no shame in chop blocks either, it you have to do it to take a D lineman off his feet. The Steeler O line tries to drive bock, and can't. When they pass block, they get trucked.

After every single game I find myself wondering what would happen if Ben would run more than 50% of the plays called. I'd be very interested to see how Ariens would be percieved if he had a QB that ran the plays that Ariens called, instead of holding the ball and scrambling. It seems like when Ben does drop back and throw on rhythm, the reciever is usally there, the ball is just usually poorly thrown.

I think Ariens would be considered an offensive genius if he had a drop back rhythm passer. At least we could then judge his play calling skills.

I believe that a guy like Dermonti Dawson would make a good O line coach. He had a good football IQ and seemed to be a master of leverage.
I feel i've heard this before.
__________________


"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter
 
Bayz101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 8,268
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18856
Thanks: 2,036
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,117 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
The Head coach and QB are in a position to judge Ariens, because they are wearing headgear that hears what plays are called, and they see that less than 50% are actually ran. National media isn't as stupid as you are. They are aware that Ben runs less than 1/2 of the plays called by Ariens because Ben holds the ball too long.
I think its funny when people like you make uninformed judgements and opinions about an Oc or Dc ability, when anybody with a pair of eyes knows that Ben rarely runs a play he calles in the huddle. BEN MAKES THE OC LOOK BAD BECAUSE HE DOESN'T RUN THE PLAY CALLED, AND HE MAKES THE O LINE LOOK BAD BECAUSE THE O LINE HAS KNOW IDEA HOW TO BLOCK IF BEN SCRAMBLES - THEY DON'T HAVE EYES ON THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS. THATS WHY BEN HAS SO MUCH TROUBLE PASSING EVEN IF HE DOES SCRAMBLE AND BUY TIME - THE WR'S ARE JUST RUNNING FIRE ROUTES BECAUSE THE CALLED ROUTE IS LONG DEAD.

IF YOU GOT PAID TO MAKE POSTS HERE, I THINK YOU'D GET FIRED. YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT ANYTHING YOU SAY. YOUR OPINIONS ARE BASED ON IGNORANCE.
I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but all that extra jazz you added at the end wasn't necessary. Please tone it down
__________________


"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President
 
Rick5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St.Thomas, ontario , canada
Posts: 2,158
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5148
Thanks: 24
Thanked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
The Head coach and QB are in a position to judge Ariens, because they are wearing headgear that hears what plays are called, and they see that less than 50% are actually ran. National media isn't as stupid as you are. They are aware that Ben runs less than 1/2 of the plays called by Ariens because Ben holds the ball too long.
I think its funny when people like you make uninformed judgements and opinions about an Oc or Dc ability, when anybody with a pair of eyes knows that Ben rarely runs a play he calles in the huddle. BEN MAKES THE OC LOOK BAD BECAUSE HE DOESN'T RUN THE PLAY CALLED, AND HE MAKES THE O LINE LOOK BAD BECAUSE THE O LINE HAS KNOW IDEA HOW TO BLOCK IF BEN SCRAMBLES - THEY DON'T HAVE EYES ON THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS. THATS WHY BEN HAS SO MUCH TROUBLE PASSING EVEN IF HE DOES SCRAMBLE AND BUY TIME - THE WR'S ARE JUST RUNNING FIRE ROUTES BECAUSE THE CALLED ROUTE IS LONG DEAD.

IF YOU GOT PAID TO MAKE POSTS HERE, I THINK YOU'D GET FIRED. YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT ANYTHING YOU SAY. YOUR OPINIONS ARE BASED ON IGNORANCE.
Once again you show your arrogance. What or who made you think that you are the only one with a valid opinion on anything. You remind me of the 30 and under generation that is seeping into the work force, so arrogant they refuse to take advice from anyone or listen to another point of view. In your case you take it to an anonymous football forum, but your arrogance this time is outdone by you personal attack at another poster and quite frankly ...you are out of line.
You played the game ..so what. Most of us on here did too, some of us even coach , whether at the minor football or high school level (maybe even some college)
TONE IT DOWN A LEVEL!!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President
 
Rick5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St.Thomas, ontario , canada
Posts: 2,158
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5148
Thanks: 24
Thanked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but all that extra jazz you added at the end wasn't necessary. Please tone it down
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,893
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 214
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Why are so many writers up in arms about Bruce freakin Arians. The guy is and always was a shitty play caller. A blind midget could figure it out after a few games. The bases of an OC is to call plays well. That is the number one job that gets them head coaching jobs. Heck, even when they aren't calling the plays themselves but the plays are good, they get hired. Philbin got a coaching gig from that while McCarthy called all the plays.

Red zone deficiencies, and stubbornness to not adjust during games are the two things I look at. Those ****ing bubble screens all ****ing year. You would think after Suggs snuffed it out, he would have stopped throwing 500 of them a game. And the one that should have sealed the win for Denver that was gift wrapped for the Steelers, that would have been a fitting end to the offense in the Wild Card game.

Steelers offense has to score in the red zone, period. Simple and easy. When you have 3 receivers who are studs, a stud TE and two really good running backs and a QB who can throw lasers, how the hell do you not score TD's inside the 10. It doesn't make sense and now that this has been addressed, Steelers can get someone who's ego isn't up in the air where it doesn't even have the right to be, and the Steelers can start protecting its QB while it scores TDs when they are suppose to.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
former RB
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 65
Member Number: 20530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Well, ignorant people around here - posing as informed people - like to repeat their spew from thread to thread. They make ignorant comments that have no basis in fact or reality.
And i often see it in all caps.

How can these people blame the O line and the OC when Ben doesn't run the called play? I can't even stand to watch a game at the bar with my friends because the people at the bar cry about the same thing. They bitch and moan and complain about the play calling and the lousy O line pass blocking. - I always have to remind them that if they want to judge, then judge when the called play is actually ran.

Pro QB's drop back, set up, then throw. Ben drops back, sets up, and holds the ball. Or scrambles. No QB gets more than 3 or 4 seconds from the time they get the snap until they throw.
Great Rb's run for 4.0 average. Poor Rb's run for 3.5 average. Bettis averaged about 4.1 over his career. Mendenhall is at less than 4.0. LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT IN THE NFL. Note*[RB AVERAGES ARE MY EDUCATED GUESS IN THIS POST]. I may be off by .1 on Bettis.

Talented RB's don't need a great line to run for over 4.0 per attempt. Payton, Simpson, Sanders, Martin, and Bo Jackson are good examples.

Steelers are bad judges of Rb talent. Remember some #1's - Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, Rashard Mendenhall.

There is an opportunity for a team to pick up Taiwan Jones from the Raiders because they want some draft picks this year and they have good RB depth.

TAIWAN JONES, WILL PROBABLY LEAD THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING THIS YEAR. And he probably won't play much until McFadden gets hurt for the year - which could happen on any carry. The league ain't seen the likes of Taiwan Jones since the days of Bo Jackson.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts