Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed: Memories of Super Bowl Lost Still Hurt

Ed: Memories of Super Bowl Lost Still Hurt
Wednesday, 01 February 2012 06:18
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ost-still-hurt

Good morning from Indianapolis,

Chad Brown might have been one of the greatest linebackers to play for the Steelers -- had he stuck around longer.

Brown was the Lawrence Timmons of his time, only bettter. He's here this week working for a Denver radio station, a host from 10-noon in Denver on 104.7 The Fan (you can get the Ap and hear him if you'd like). We ran into each other Monday and I sought his opinion on a few things and, as usual, he was expressive and opinionated.

Brown, the team's second-round pick in 1993, broke in as an inside linebacker and started in the Super Bowl against Dallas. He moved to right outside linebacker when Greg Lloyd was severely injured in 1996 and he had 15 sacks that season. That propelled him to the top of the list of free agents and he made bags of money from the Seattle Seahawks. However, he did not become a big star there because he played outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense in an era when the outside linebackes needed a lot of sacks to get to the Pro Bowl. He made three of threm.

In 2005, he went to the New England Patriots. In 2006, he returned to the Steelers for a brief period in Bill Cowher's last season, and in 2007 he returned to the Patriots before calling it a very long and good career after 15 seasons.

He has one regret -- he never played for a Super Bowl winner. He was on two Super Bowl teams -- 1995 with the Steelers that lost to the Cowboys and 2007 with the Patriots unbeaten team that lost to the Giants.

"I got to New England the year after they won the Super Bowl, then I got to Pittsburgh after they won,'' Brown told me. "Then, I went back to New England for year 15, we had the perfect season and they lost. So, I chased that thing my last three years and never got it.''

He thought he had it in 2007, when the Patriots went 16-0 and then two playoff games.

"I can't say I thought it was a done deal but I said, wow, this is actually going to happen -- I had a national championship ring, a high school champiionship ring -- I'm going to have all rings at all levels. This is going to be awesome, it's going to complete my whole career. I had the personal accolades, but I never got the ring."

He received an AFC championship ring from the Steelers 1995 season and said them losing to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl ranks among his great disappointments.

"We had the momentum, we scored before the half, had the onside kick, things were going our way. That still hurts.

"This week every year, the NFL Network and ESPN shows those 30-minute Super Bowl specials. I find myself watching it every year, and I find myself having such heartache every year."

Does he blame Neil O'Donnell for losing that game?

"It's difficult not to,'' Brown said.

O'Donnell threw two killer interceptions that thwarted the Steelers comeback in the second half.

"One was the receiver's fault, one was his fault,'' Brown said. "We were on our way to getting that thing done. We held Emmitt to about 60 yards rushing, we shut down Michael Irvin; things were going our way."

A few of your questions:

--YOU: Hi, Ed--hope you are enjoying your time in Indy! Burning question (though trying not to beat a dead horse here): Do you have any expert insight on why the Steelers struggled so much on the road this year? They couldn't beat the good teams ( Bungles notwithstanding ) and struggled to beat the bad ones. I think they were due to lose one on the road in Denver after having eked out some close ones.

ME: They did beat one playoff team on the road, Cincinnati. They went 5-3 on the road overall, which isn't bad. Yes, they had trouble against then-winless Indianapolis. They lost by one touchdown to a good Houston team and 20-3 at San Francisco with Ben Roethlisberger fresh off his ankle sprain and James Harrison suspended. I don't know that their road record was that terrible. There's only one way to explain what happened in Denver -- Tim Tebow!

-- YOU: would think that is the equivalent to dropping napalm on your own career path. Presumably Tomlin is still in Pittsburgh. If he were in Indianapolis would he even speak off the record about Todd Haley? Am I wrong thinking it is very unlikely Haley is a serious contender for the job?

ME: I would be surprised if he hired Todd Haley. Remember, they interviewed Chan Gailey for the job before Tomlin got it because Bill Cowher asked them to. It would be no stretch if they asked Tomlin as a favor to interview Haley, who was a Steelers ballboy and whose father was their longtime personnel director.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,828 Posts
Default Re: Ed: Memories of Super Bowl Lost Still Hurt

Chad Brown says what a lot of us have thought for the past 16 years

Yep
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Yep, that's definitely one O'Donell wished he had back. You s.o.b Neil ! :)
Well, atleast we didn't blame our kicker for that loss.
But ya, "...thanks for the memory's..." -Lol
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Thank god I was only a youngin then so I don't have many memories of it, but hearing my dad talk about it, I can tell how bad it hurt.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,047 Times in 2,587 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Chad Brown says what a lot of us have thought for the past 16 years

Yep
that one still stings, especially with how great the defense was at neutralizing aikman and smith like i've never seen anyone do in the 2nd half. we had them on the ropes, and neil throws the game away.

with that said I think if neil stayed, we would have won another super bowl. he was the only quarterback capable of winning a championship in between the brawshaw and roethlisberger eras

replace kordell stewart with o'donnell in those years we made a few of those AFC championship games and who knows? o'donnell was 5x better than kordell
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

a great example of a "could have been known as an all-time great" if he wouldn't have left and stayed with his team. For many reasons, not only the SB winning team.
Should've stayed put where he was.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Hell yeah i blame O'Donnell......Browns right, they had the game right where they wanted them until the 2 interceptions.... I hope hes still in hiding!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

O'Donnell's ints are still a mystery to me. I mean the only person even close to the spot he threw was Brown. I often wondered if it was some mix up by QB or WR or both.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
O'Donnell's ints are still a mystery to me. I mean the only person even close to the spot he threw was Brown. I often wondered if it was some mix up by QB or WR or both.
The best part of it is, why did he have to throw it at all when he wasnt even pressured. Its not like he was rushed and didnt have time to look around before he threw the ball.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
The best part of it is, why did he have to throw it at all when he wasnt even pressured. Its not like he was rushed and didnt have time to look around before he threw the ball.
It was as if his azz was paid off.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote