Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2012

His time with the Steelers didn't end how he had hoped, but Bruce Arians said he hasn't "been this excited in years," after his hiring as Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator.

"I walked into the building (Monday) and never been greeted any better in my 37 years of coaching," Arians said Wednesday during an introductory conference call with reporters. "It's a new beginning. I am really excited about putting that horseshoe back on. I am looking forward to it."

Arians, 59, was the Colts' quarterbacks coach from 1998-2000, and the organization brought him back on Tuesday to run the offense. The move came 10 days after Arians parted ways with the Steelers in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

Arians later admitted it wasn't a retirement and that he wasn't offered a contract by team president Art Rooney II. Rooney responded by saying Arians' constant struggle with retirement prompted the organization to go in a different direction.

Arians, however, said yesterday he hasn't worried about retirement in years.

Even though his departure ended on bad terms, Arians said he cherishes his time with the Steelers.

"I was enjoying what I was doing," he said.

As offensive coordinator, Arians helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship in 2008. His offense ranked as high as seventh and as low as 22nd in his five years as coordinator.

Arians said he would miss the people he worked with but tiptoed around questions about Steelers' ownership.

"It was a great ride, great people. I love these guys," Arians said. "I have had a great relationship with these players."

Under Arians' guidance, the Steelers had three 12-4 seasons and advanced to the playoffs four times as he helped groom Ben Roethlisberger into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

"Ben is a superstar, and I would like to say that I helped him, but the good Lord gave him a ton of talent," Arians said. "We have a great relationship and that is going to last forever."

Arians takes over an Indianapolis offense full of uncertainty because of quarterback Peyton Manning's health problems. Although Arians said he would love to have Manning back, he promised the Colts offense will be balanced no matter who is quarterback.

"You cannot be one dimensional," Arians said. "I would like to go back and look at the statistics when I called plays in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for eight years. I am betting it is pretty close to 50-50."

In eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, Arians called pass plays 55 percent of the time. In his five years with the Steelers, he threw 51.8 percent of the time. In 2011, that number grew to 57.2 percent.

"We were second in the league in time of possession this year, but we threw more than we ran," Arians said. "We won a lot of games by running out the clock by throwing the football."

Still, Arians was a magnet for criticism, even from management. Rooney said publicly two years ago that he believed the team needed to run the ball more. A few days before not renewing Arians' contract, Rooney said the offense and Roethlisberger's game needed to be tweaked.

Arians accepts the blame that comes with the title.

"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said. "Everybody who plays 'Madden' and fantasy football calls plays."

Wilson's condition upgraded

Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Jan. 6 in a fire at his Seven Fields home, has been upgraded to serious condition, his family said Wednesday in a statement.

Wilson had been listed in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy, Uptown, while he recovered from burns that encompassed 45 percent of his body.

"His status is stable, and he has started his physical rehabilitation," the statement said. "The Wilson family would like to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1lE3gaqPK
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574
Default Re: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2012

His time with the Steelers didn't end how he had hoped, but Bruce Arians said he hasn't "been this excited in years," after his hiring as Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator.

"I walked into the building (Monday) and never been greeted any better in my 37 years of coaching," Arians said Wednesday during an introductory conference call with reporters. "It's a new beginning. I am really excited about putting that horseshoe back on. I am looking forward to it."

Arians, 59, was the Colts' quarterbacks coach from 1998-2000, and the organization brought him back on Tuesday to run the offense. The move came 10 days after Arians parted ways with the Steelers in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

Arians later admitted it wasn't a retirement and that he wasn't offered a contract by team president Art Rooney II. Rooney responded by saying Arians' constant struggle with retirement prompted the organization to go in a different direction.

Arians, however, said yesterday he hasn't worried about retirement in years.

Even though his departure ended on bad terms, Arians said he cherishes his time with the Steelers.

"I was enjoying what I was doing," he said.

As offensive coordinator, Arians helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship in 2008. His offense ranked as high as seventh and as low as 22nd in his five years as coordinator.

Arians said he would miss the people he worked with but tiptoed around questions about Steelers' ownership.

"It was a great ride, great people. I love these guys," Arians said. "I have had a great relationship with these players."

Under Arians' guidance, the Steelers had three 12-4 seasons and advanced to the playoffs four times as he helped groom Ben Roethlisberger into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

"Ben is a superstar, and I would like to say that I helped him, but the good Lord gave him a ton of talent," Arians said. "We have a great relationship and that is going to last forever."

Arians takes over an Indianapolis offense full of uncertainty because of quarterback Peyton Manning's health problems. Although Arians said he would love to have Manning back, he promised the Colts offense will be balanced no matter who is quarterback.

"You cannot be one dimensional," Arians said. "I would like to go back and look at the statistics when I called plays in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for eight years. I am betting it is pretty close to 50-50."

In eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, Arians called pass plays 55 percent of the time. In his five years with the Steelers, he threw 51.8 percent of the time. In 2011, that number grew to 57.2 percent.

"We were second in the league in time of possession this year, but we threw more than we ran," Arians said. "We won a lot of games by running out the clock by throwing the football."

Still, Arians was a magnet for criticism, even from management. Rooney said publicly two years ago that he believed the team needed to run the ball more. A few days before not renewing Arians' contract, Rooney said the offense and Roethlisberger's game needed to be tweaked.

Arians accepts the blame that comes with the title.

"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said. "Everybody who plays 'Madden' and fantasy football calls plays."

Wilson's condition upgraded

Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Jan. 6 in a fire at his Seven Fields home, has been upgraded to serious condition, his family said Wednesday in a statement.

Wilson had been listed in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy, Uptown, while he recovered from burns that encompassed 45 percent of his body.

"His status is stable, and he has started his physical rehabilitation," the statement said. "The Wilson family would like to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1lE3gaqPK
Arians is gone. He's coaching another team now, bless his heart. I wish these guys would just let it go and let him go away.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

Quote:
"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said.
He doesn't even know how correct he is.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
When you add the amount of people watching at home, the numbers are overwhelming

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
zshelhamer
Water Boy

Member Number: 20060

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling out what plays I'm going to run. Arians said.
Fixed for accuracy.
zshelhamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Slow news day?

To all Arians Lovers in the Post-Gazette; He's gone. Get over it.

"Ride" is pretty accurate description. He ran a mediocre offense that was carried to the Super Bowls by Defense and Ben's miracles. The Steelers Offense was never a driving force to these championships in fact, it may have been a drag-along. The Defense did most of the dirty work while the Offense farted around. Nice guy, but he wasn't good, and he's gone.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
To all Arians Lovers in the Post-Gazette; He's gone. Get over it.
And all the detractors who continue to piss and moan about him would be wise to do the same.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Here's my prediction.... at some point in the next few years Ben is going to push to be traded to the Colts so he can play for his former OC.

I would not shock me to see the Colts offense struggle to score points for the next couple years...then in desperation Arians will push Colts management to trade for Ben....and of course Ben will push the Steelers to make it happen.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Here's my prediction.... at some point in the next few years Ben is going to push to be traded to the Colts so he can play for his former OC.

I would not shock me to see the Colts offense struggle to score points for the next couple years...then in desperation Arians will push Colts management to trade for Ben....and of course Ben will push the Steelers to make it happen.
I wouldn't bet on that, but it's certainly not impossible. If the Colts struggle on offense with one of the most highly regarded quarterback's coming out of the draft in years, they'll probably give Bruce the boot before he even has the opportunity to suggest such a trade. Luck was already a bit annoyed by the fact that he'd likely have to sit behind Manning (not as likely now), and i'm sure sitting him behind Ben after he's already started several games wouldn't be a good idea.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote