Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts
Default QB Files: Tom Brady vs. Terry Bradshaw

Interesting read in The New York Times

With Tom Brady set to become the second quarterback to start five Super Bowls, The Fifth Down is comparing his body of work to some of the sport’s greatest performers in the game that decides it all.

They say you cannot compare players from different eras....So, what would the same people have to say about comparing Brady with Terry Bradshaw?...

Each contributed relatively little statistically in his first Super Bowl (relying heavily on a hard-hitting defense to keep the score close) and each blossomed into a 300-yard passer over the course of his four Super Bowl appearances....

In just over half as many passing attempts, Bradshaw threw for nearly as many yards and more touchdowns than Brady. His average of 11.09 yards per attempt would break the single-season record, set by Sid Luckman in 1943 ..

Brady seemingly has met his match in Bradshaw. While more accurate and less prone to turnovers in the Super Bowl than Bradshaw, Brady has not been as explosive offensively, and that glaring loss to the Giants seems to give Bradshaw all the edge he would need.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...aw/?ref=sports

The 11.09 YPA by Bradshaw in his 4 Super Bowls was a shock until i recalled how many long TD passes Bradshaw completed in X (Swann), XIII (Stallworth), and XIV (Swann and Stallworth)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: QB Files: Tom Brady vs. Terry Bradshaw

yep people dont put Bradshaw in the big numbers dept because of the time he played in.. but Terry could throw the ball as good if not better then anyone in history.. IMO he threw the deep ball better then anyone in history.. no matter how you look at it.. great D, Great Team..etc... 4 SB to 0 Loss and Brady has the one Loss.. he falls short of the greatest QB Montana and Bradshaw.. Its all about the SB and Brady will forever have that loss...

IMO if he takes a loss this weekend it absolutey hurts his legecey... no question about it losing TWO superbowls would put a major hit on the great Brady.. not to mention if Eli beats him Twice I would have to put Eli ahead of Tom when it comes to who you would want in the big games..
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,134 Times in 917 Posts

Brady, along with Montana and Rogers are "system players" meaning that their success is largely due to the type of offensive system in which they play. The proof of that is Flynn's success in Green Bay (when he replaces Rogers), Steve Young's success in San Fransisco (after Montana left) and Matt Cassel in New England (when he steps in for Brady). These backups and replacements barely miss a beat because the system works and they work within the system.

But Bradshaw was not part of a system. In his early days he was little more than a game manager. But as he developed, he became the identity of the Steeler offense as much (or more so) than Franco or the defensive line. Bradshaw, to me, was the best "money" QB in the game because no matter what kind of game he was having, he almost always brought it home when it counted most. He didn't do that by waiting for some grand plan to finally click and begin to work, he did that by seizing the moment and making it work and there isn't a system in the world that can account for that kind of ability.

The down side (if you want to call it that) was that his overall stats are mediocre at best because the way he played was more like rolling dice than counting cards and he didn't seem to care much about how he looked in terms of numbers because wins were the only number that mattered to him.

Bradshaw averaged about 16 TD's per season over his career which is what the average backup seems to do today. But Bradshaw existed in an era when running backs and defensive linemen were household names and QB's were considered little more than "necessary evil's". What I think separates Bradshaw most from other players was simply that he may have only thrown one TD or key pass in a game sometimes, but it was usually at a moment when the team most needed it and it was often the reason why we won the game.

Put it this way; if someone were to ask me who I'd want with the ball in his hands with time running out, the length of the field to go and only a couple of minutes or less and needing a TD to win, I'd want Bradshaw over everyone else and over any "system" that's out there.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

All QB's play in a "system". Besides, you don't think Brady, Montana, and Rodgers would have done well on those '70 Steelers teams? C'mon man, lol.

Bradshaw's great.
Brady's great.
Montana's great.
Marino's great.
P. Manning's great.

etc.................
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,134 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
All QB's play in a "system". Besides, you don't think Brady, Montana, and Rodgers would have done well on those '70 Steelers teams? C'mon man, lol.

Bradshaw's great.
Brady's great.
Montana's great.
Marino's great.
P. Manning's great.

etc.................
Montana and Marino maybe. (Probably more Marino)

But Brady and Peyton?

Please.

You force either one of them to rush a pass or scramble and they both become incredibly average and very inaccurate QB's because neither one likes it when their system breaks down.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,055 Times in 2,143 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

If the quarterback is forced into the pass it's by way of another player. This is about one player. The fact that Ben can make things happen under pressure makes him that much better than Brady and Manning.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,026 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Montana and Marino maybe. (Probably more Marino)

But Brady and Peyton?

Please.

You force either one of them to rush a pass or scramble and they both become incredibly average and very inaccurate QB's because neither one likes it when their system breaks down.

You're kidding, right?
Brady and Manning "incredibly average?"
If true, what do we label Ben?
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

There's a reason Bradshaw isn't considered in the same discussion as Marino and Montana.

Let's take the homer glasses off. Brady will go down as the best if he wins on Sunday. I don't care if he sucks under pressure or not. He's not the same type of quarterback as Ben. Brady breaks records, wins. scores a ton of points and has been to 5 SBs in the past decade.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,055 Times in 2,143 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
There's a reason Bradshaw isn't considered in the same discussion as Marino and Montana.

Let's take the homer glasses off. Brady will go down as the best if he wins on Sunday. I don't care if he sucks under pressure or not. He's not the same type of quarterback as Ben. Brady breaks records, wins. scores a ton of points and has been to 5 SBs in the past decade.
Ok. I can agree to this, but what if he loses?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Ok. I can agree to this, but what if he loses?
If he loses, I still put him as a top 3. Getting to a SB is still an accomplishment. Montana would likely go down as the best even though he was surrounded by a ton of talent, similar to Bradshaw. I refuse to say Marino is the best because he never won.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote