Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default "Mean" Joe Greene OK with idea of 'new' offensive plan

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle chosen the most important player in Steelers history, spent time promoting a new commercial for Procter & Gamble that is a takeoff on his famous Coke commercial 32 years ago which won a Clio.

Greene, a special assistant in the Steelers personnel department since '04, said watching the offense last season was difficult for him.

"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.

Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.

"I don't disagree with him," Greene said of Rooney's move.

The Steelers offense last season ranked 12th in the NFL in total yards but 21st in points scored. Coach Mike Tomlin has been interviewing candidates for a new offensive coordinator.

Greene said his complaint with the offense did not lie in the ratio of runs to passes but in the lack of commitment to run, especially in obvious situations.

"Look at the teams that are here,'' Greene said of the Super Bowl matchup between the New England Patriots and New York Giants. "There is a method to their madness, there is a system, you can see what they're trying to do.

"When New England played the [Baltimore] Ravens [in the AFC championship game], had they continued trying to throw the football, they would have lost it. They decided they had to run it, but they couldn't line up and show you they were going to run it, they had to look like they were going to throw the pass, and that's when they ran the ball on them. And that allowed them to score a couple touchdowns.

"And the Giants, they run the football pretty good, but they mix in the pass, and they can throw the ball.

"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Greene, who attends training camp with the rest of the scouts for at least the first two weeks, said the commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.

"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

Greene blamed the Steelers loss Nov. 6 to Baltimore on the offense's inability to run the clock with the lead. The Ravens drove 92 yards in the final two minutes to score the winning touchdown with eight seconds left, 23-20. He also noted that, even in the regular-season finale at Cleveland, the Browns were throwing desperation passes with a chance to win at the end, chances Greene believes they would not have had if the offense had used the clock better.

"In our second game against Baltimore, if we play smart football, we're going to be in a position to host the AFC championship game," Greene said. "I just think that we let this opportunity get away."

He has faith, however, that the Steelers will find someone to improve their offense for '12.

"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035...#ixzz1lOOExH5f
--------------------------------------------------

Mean Joe is just a hater. He obviously doesn't know shit about football.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,846 Posts
Default Re: "Mean" Joe Greene OK with idea of 'new' offensive plan

Hater.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Hater.
Mean Joe sucks. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. He's probably never even played the game before.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,846 Posts

Obviously he out of step speaking up. He shouldn't be meddling in team affairs.

I'm surprised he didn't blame it on lack of player execution or Dick Lebeau's D giving up more than 13 pts per game.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,156 Times in 3,479 Posts

what a hater.

doesnt he understand that keisel, hampton and starks woulda still been injured in denver (and clark been sidelined) even if we had earned a week of rest?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

It's a shame that Arians spent the majority of his time with us trying to figure out how they put the piece paper in the fortune cookie instead of focussing his brain powers into a common sense offensive approach like this...

Sorry for the run on sentence.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Obviously he out of step speaking up. He shouldn't be meddling in team affairs.

neither should the owner. hes a "LIAR" and a hater as well. he shoulda just hired jim tressell, and allowed all the ohio ubergenius-cyberfans run the team.

after all, according to them, yinzer locals are too ignorant to really understand X's and O's.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
neither should the owner. hes a "LIAR" and a hater as well. he shoulda just hired jim tressell, and allowed all the ohio ubergenius-cyberfans run the team.
Hey, wait a minute ... I'm one of those "ohio ubergenius-cyberfans."

Seriously though, I'm really enjoying seeing someone with Mean Joe's credentials say exactly what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. I can't wait to see how the apologists spin this.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
tony hipchest

i can hear it now, wally.

they will say how he is old, living in the past, and out of tune with todays nfl (as they hypocritically blast roger goodell on a daily basis for creating todays nfl).

*jagoffs*
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing.
mendenhall even pointed out the lack of run plays in practice as a reason for sundays failures in the run department. most of the linemen over the years were labeled as "maulers or roadgraders " coming out of college yet on sundays they look like an unorganized bunch of pansys. not practicing run blocking will do that.

Quote:
"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."
did he just refer to the arians hiring as a stubbed toe ? (AKA...mistake)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote