Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers rookie running back Bell shines in clutch

By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013, 10:06 p.m.
Updated 8 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Running back Le'Veon Bell walked onto storied Lambeau Field on Sunday with a chip on his shoulder.

He said all week that he wanted to prove the Steelers were right to opt for him instead of Green Bay's Eddie Lacy in the second round of the NFL Draft.

The Michigan State product delivered his first 100-yard performance: 124 yards on a career-high 26 carries and the winning 1-yard touchdown run with 1:25 remaining to lead the Steelers to a thrilling 38-31 victory.

“It's crazy that I got a chance to play at Lambeau Field,” Bell said. “It was everything I wanted. The crowd was loud. It was cold, and there was snow. Growing up, it's what I saw on TV, so I was happy to play in it.”

“(Bell) is a good player, and he's getting better every week,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “He is a complete player, an all-situation player. We'll keep working him and try to keep him humble.”

Lacy, who left in the fourth quarter with an ankle injury, posted impressive numbers: 84 yards rushing and two touchdowns. He hurdled cornerback Ike Taylor at the goal line on a 14-yard run that gave the Packers a 14-7 lead late in the first half.

But his efforts were wasted by penalties that often altered the Packers' game plan to lean on the ground game.

“Those penalties definitely set us back a little,” Lacy said.

For Bell, it was a game of ebbs and flows. His highs often were tempered by the lows: three dropped passes and a fumble at the Steelers' 3-yard line that led to a 2-yard touchdown run by Lacy in the third quarter.

“As a runner, you look forward to opportunities to put the game away,” Bell said. “(Lacy) is a great player, but it was definitely a challenge on my part. My single charge was to play to his level or better.

“Besides the fumble, I'm happy with my performance.”

Bell showed his mental toughness after his fumble. He responded with a 25-yard run to spark a six-play, 68-yard scoring drive that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger capped with an 11-yard pass to tight end Matt Spaeth that put the Steelers ahead 24-21 late in the third quarter.

“The fumble is something that really got to me. It made me angry,” Bell said. “I went to the coaches, the offensive linemen and Ben and told them I wanted the ball. Whatever we were going to do, I wanted to go out there and make a play.”

Bell's resiliency didn't go unnoticed.

“Bell is the total package,” receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. “He is mentally tough, so we were confident he could come back from the fumble.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2oIryVFoA
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,675 Posts
Default Re: Steelers rookie running back Bell shines in clutch

He responded like a veteran after that fumble.. good to see him show that mental toughness and put it behind him.Everyone screws up and he dididn't beat himself up or let it get In his head.

I'm sure Tomlin awarded him the game ball for his performance.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Congrats to Bell, this is the exact mentality the running game needs, here's to hoping the running game is alive in the Burgh!!!!! Kudos!!!!
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Confounding Factor (12-23-2013), harrison'samonster (12-23-2013), pczach (12-23-2013), Steelstoned1972 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,067 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

trade Bell this off season for a 1st round draft pick and draft Carlos Hyde out of Ohio State.
Confounding Factor (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
trade Bell this off season for a 1st round draft pick and draft Carlos Hyde out of Ohio State.
If we get enough comp picks, draft Hyde too.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
He responded like a veteran after that fumble.. good to see him show that mental toughness and put it behind him.Everyone screws up and he dididn't beat himself up or let it get In his head.

I'm sure Tomlin awarded him the game ball for his performance.
Agreed. The important part after turning the ball over is how one responds. Bell responded strongly and showed the fumble did not get to him. It was also pleasing to see Tomlin continue to give him the ball, too. I remember in games past Tomlin would bench RBs and/or not give them the ball after committing costly turnovers. i.e. Dwyer, Mewelde Moore, etc. Way for Coach T to believe.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggermatt15 For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Agreed. The important part after turning the ball over is how one responds. Bell responded strongly and showed the fumble did not get to him. It was also pleasing to see Tomlin continue to give him the ball, too. I remember in games past Tomlin would bench RBs and/or not give them the ball after committing costly turnovers. i.e. Dwyer, Mewelde Moore, etc. Way for Coach T to believe.
Exactly. I think that is part of what hurt our other RB's. Tomlin instilled no confidence in them and they were always in fear of benching after one mistake. Bell doesn't have that fear so he can still run with authority as opposed to dedicating 110% just to protecting the ball.

Really like what I see from him. Hopefully he can make it back to back going into the playoffs ;)
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
sluggermatt15 (12-24-2013), Steelstoned1972 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
The only thing I agree with this post is his handle suits him perfectly.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

This is why you stick with the run like we been doing. I know it seem like a lost art in the Burgh, but that's why you stick to it and eventually it came around. This is WITHOUT or starting Pro Bowl C, AND his back up! Bell in this system is going to be something special!

I still believe if Arians was here, he would of gave up on the run along time ago, and Bell would've been labeled a bust! Now if we can get the defense going. I mean geez, I miss the days when 20 points was way more than enough to win ball games around here! Thank god Aaron Rodgers wasn't playing.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
pczach (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,632 Times in 2,399 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

bell is the type of player we needed for years, and what i hoped mendenhall would be (but never became).

opposition now has to respect the run, and he's also dangerous in the open field as a pass catcher, and is money at pass blocking.

a guy who both gives ben more weapons and gives us a ground game. finally all the pieces of the offense are starting to come together. i like it.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
pczach (12-23-2013), steelfury02 (12-23-2013)