Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #481
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,978 Times in 4,271 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Fire Todd Haley!!!!!

ROBINSON: Roethlisberger defends Haley — again

December 10, 2013
By Alan Robinson

Ben Roethlisberger is going from offense to defense – yet again, he is defending Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Following the 34-28 loss Sunday to the Dolphins, Roethlisberger was asked why Le’Veon Bell was used sparingly as a running back in the second half. Bell touched the ball an equal amount of times in each half, but his primary role past halftime was as a receiver.

Roethlisberger responded by saying, “No idea. Coach Haley’s over there. You can ask him.”

The comments were like several made previously by the quarterback following games this season, and were interpreted by some as him being critical of the play-calling.

But Roethlisberger strongly denied that during his weekly 93.7 FM radio show Tuesday, saying he and the coordinator have an excellent relationship in an offense that he said is working. The Steelers are No. 16 in the league offensively.

“It was taken way out of context. There is absolutely no issue between coach
Haley and I,” Roethlisberger said on the radio show. “I love where this offense is right now.”

He added, “No way, shape or form was it directed negatively at him. I think the offense is as good as it’s been in a long time. We’ve got guys doing some great things. I genuinely am enjoying this offense and what coach Haley is doing with it and where we’re going. We’re getting better every week, and I think we can keep getting better.”

Roethlisberger said he made the remarks because Haley was calling the plays, except when he was doing so in the no-huddle formation.

“He’s our coordinator, if you want to ask questions about play calling, go ask him about it,” Roethlisberger said, explaining his post-game remarks. “He’s the guy that calls the plays. If you want to ask me about the no-huddle and I’m calling them, then you can ask me.’”

Despite the Steelers’ 5-8 record, Roethlisberger is on pace for one of the best seasons of his career statistically. He is 320 of 500 for 3,724 yards, 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, and he has a 94.1 passer rating.

He is on pace to easily surpass his previous career high of 513 passes in 2011.

Roethlisberger’s 320 completions through 13 games are 44 more than he has had in any previous season. And his 3,724 yards are nearly 200 more than he has had in a season to date; his owns the team record of 4,328 yards in 2009.

Antonio Brown also could set some team single-season receiving records. He already has 90 catches; Hines Ward and Brown are the only receivers in team history to make that many catches.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#ixzz2nEiy5dxr
Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #482
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,086 Times in 485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
ROBINSON: Roethlisberger defends Haley — again

December 10, 2013
By Alan Robinson

Ben Roethlisberger is going from offense to defense – yet again, he is defending Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Following the 34-28 loss Sunday to the Dolphins, Roethlisberger was asked why Le’Veon Bell was used sparingly as a running back in the second half. Bell touched the ball an equal amount of times in each half, but his primary role past halftime was as a receiver.

Roethlisberger responded by saying, “No idea. Coach Haley’s over there. You can ask him.”

The comments were like several made previously by the quarterback following games this season, and were interpreted by some as him being critical of the play-calling.

But Roethlisberger strongly denied that during his weekly 93.7 FM radio show Tuesday, saying he and the coordinator have an excellent relationship in an offense that he said is working. The Steelers are No. 16 in the league offensively.

“It was taken way out of context. There is absolutely no issue between coach
Haley and I,” Roethlisberger said on the radio show. “I love where this offense is right now.”

He added, “No way, shape or form was it directed negatively at him. I think the offense is as good as it’s been in a long time. We’ve got guys doing some great things. I genuinely am enjoying this offense and what coach Haley is doing with it and where we’re going. We’re getting better every week, and I think we can keep getting better.”

Roethlisberger said he made the remarks because Haley was calling the plays, except when he was doing so in the no-huddle formation.

“He’s our coordinator, if you want to ask questions about play calling, go ask him about it,” Roethlisberger said, explaining his post-game remarks. “He’s the guy that calls the plays. If you want to ask me about the no-huddle and I’m calling them, then you can ask me.’”

Despite the Steelers’ 5-8 record, Roethlisberger is on pace for one of the best seasons of his career statistically. He is 320 of 500 for 3,724 yards, 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, and he has a 94.1 passer rating.

He is on pace to easily surpass his previous career high of 513 passes in 2011.

Roethlisberger’s 320 completions through 13 games are 44 more than he has had in any previous season. And his 3,724 yards are nearly 200 more than he has had in a season to date; his owns the team record of 4,328 yards in 2009.

Antonio Brown also could set some team single-season receiving records. He already has 90 catches; Hines Ward and Brown are the only receivers in team history to make that many catches.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#ixzz2nEiy5dxr

You gotta love a passive/aggressive personality because without it, it would be tough to keep a controversy going.
harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (12-12-2013), Lady Steel (12-12-2013), The_Joker (12-12-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #483
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,978 Times in 4,271 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Haley hitting stride in 2nd season as Steelers assistant

By Alan Robinson
Published: Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013

Steelers' offensive turnaround:

Games 1-7 Games 8-14

Points per game 17.85 28.0

Passing yards per game 253.4 268.4

Sacks 27 14

Interceptions 7 4

Turnovers 14 6

Rushing yards per game 68.7 90.1

Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley went to dinner last week at The Capital Grille along with the other Steelers quarterbacks. The meal was much-praised, the atmosphere relaxed and cordial. Coach Mike Tomlin anted up for a bottle of wine.

Afterward, player and coach talked about how enjoyable the evening was. So much for the theory NFL Network floated that Roethlisberger is so disgusted with Haley and the offense that he might ask to be traded during the offseason.

As his party left the Downtown restaurant, Haley found himself wondering, “Why can't we have paparazzi that follows us, so they could actually find out the truth?”

Truth is, as Haley winds down his second season as offensive coordinator in his hometown, the offense finally is growing into what he envisioned. Even if the Steelers (6-8) aren't winning as much as he expected.

Roethlisberger is breaking many of his single-season franchise passing records and is poised to play a full 16-game season for only the second time in his 10-season career. He hasn't had a better season statistically, and he's doing it under Haley — not his longtime boss and close friend Bruce Arians.

“Everybody talks that they don't get along, but when you sit and visit with them, they do seem like they're OK,” said former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, a Fox and NFL Network analyst.

Roethlisberger said they're more than OK. There was the customary adjustment period last season as coach got to know player and vice versa, but the quarterback said they are developing excellent chemistry.

“We're more than fine,” he said. “We have a great relationship.”

Just like the one Roethlisberger has with Antonio Brown, who is third in the NFL with 95 catches and could break a 16-year-old club single-season receiving yardage record as early as Sunday in Green Bay. Brown likes how the Haley offense is designed to get him the ball in the open field, often in single coverage.

Rookie Le'Veon Bell is developing into the best dual-purpose running back the Steelers have had in years. Offensive line coach Jack Bicknell is patching together an injury-thinned unit every week, yet Roethlisberger has been sacked only five times in five games.

And an offense that couldn't seem to get out of its way while making a sea of mistakes during an 0-4 start has only three turnovers in five games and is averaging 28 points since midseason.

“The offense is good right now,” said Brian Baldinger, a former NFL lineman and an NFL Network analyst.

“The points have gone up. I think production has gone up,” Roethlisberger said. “I think the mistakes have really come down. I think guys enjoy doing it.”

It's a big change since September, when Haley was dealing not only with a balky offense but also two consumer-related lawsuits filed against him and wife Christine.

About then, the former Kansas City Chiefs coach might have found himself wondering what he got into by returning home to work. But he never did.

“I love it. I love it. I love it,” Haley said of Pittsburgh. “Everybody (in the family) loves it. It's a great place to live, a great place to raise kids.”

Haley is raising five of them of varying ages in Upper St. Clair, and it seems as if no matter how late he gets home from his South Side office, there is at least one child waiting to greet him and discuss the day's affairs.

Unlike in September, there is much good to discuss. Except for those lawsuits — one over a house the Haleys were renting, another over a dog-care service. Because the cases are being resolved, Haley could not comment specifically about them. But it's obvious he believes he and his wife were represented badly when a home builder accused them of yanking appliances from the home.

“I'd like to see how many people are in legal situations that are no fault of their own,” he said.

He prefers to talk about how the offense is progressing on an almost weekly basis.

“We've been playing at a pretty high level,” Haley said.

Including the quarterback, around whom all things revolve. Roethlisberger is enjoying frequent chances to the run no-huddle offense he prefers, mostly because he gets to call his own plays. He also is getting rid of the ball more quickly than he did under Arians, which is translating into fewer sacks. Yet he still gets to throw downfield more.

“Before with Ben, it was run around and make plays outside the structure of the offense, and everything's good. But it's hard to do it that way,” Billick said. “There is more orchestration with this. ... As he gets into the later part of his career, I take him at his word that this is something he applauds.”

It seems to be everything team president Art Rooney II and Tomlin supposedly wanted when they brought in Haley, the son of former Steelers player personnel chief Dick Haley. Namely, they wanted to keep Roethlisberger upright and healthy and build a better-balanced offense with more emphasis on the running game.

But, according to Haley, there wasn't such a mandate.

“Mike and I never had that discussion,” Haley said. “We never had that specific conversation. But Coach has a clear picture of what he wants. ... He's a great head coach, a great boss, and he just wants to score enough points to win.

“We all know to do that, you've got to have a quarterback who can play like Ben. And we're better with him on the field than not on the field. So that clearly was something that Ben had to evolve to. He's doing a terrific job.”

Haley never gave any sign of being bothered by the early season fan unrest over the play-calling, turnovers and lack of scoring.

“(My father) always said that if you listen to outside forces, you're liable to do something you wouldn't normally have done out of your own hard work,” Haley said. “And I've never coached worrying about being fired.”

Given the offense's progress, there appears to be little chance Haley will be fired and a third offensive coordinator in four years is brought in. Especially given how Roethlisberger appears to be buying in.

“That's the last thing I want,” Roethlisberger said.

It's the last thing Haley wants, too. Finally, to him, he has found home — and he went back home to do it.

“I'd like to stay here for as long as I can,” Haley said. “As long as they'll have me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2oN3TASGZ
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-24-2013), FrancoLambert (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #484
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,534 Times in 803 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Things aren't as rosy as this article implies.

I heard that Ben and Haley got into a shouting match over who was going to leave the tip and take home the leftovers.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), teegre (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #485
FanSince72
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Things aren't as rosy as this article implies.

I heard that Ben and Haley got into a shouting match over who was going to leave the tip and take home the leftovers.
Yeah but the REAL fight started later in Haley's office when Ben noticed the dartboard with his picture on it.
harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), teegre (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #486
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,637 Times in 7,861 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yeah but the REAL fight started later in Haley's office when Ben noticed the dartboard with his picture on it.
Yeah... but, Ben pulled out his phone & showed Todd a picture that had been sent to him by Mrs. Haley herself. Todd replied, "Oh... so you're from the chat room... HelmetlessMan07" ...and the two of them hugged it out.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-24-2013), FanSince72 (12-24-2013), Fire Arians (12-24-2013), harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), PeckerWood (12-25-2013), tony hipchest (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #487
FanSince72
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Yeah... but, Ben pulled out his phone & showed Todd a picture that had been sent to him by Mrs. Haley herself. Todd replied, "Oh... so you're from the chat room... HelmetlessMan07" ...and the two of them hugged it out.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #488
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

I would like to see the same or pretty close to the same personnel back next year, Ben healthy again as well as Bell and see what Haley could do with this offense. We all know that Sanders is probably gone, not that he has done tremendous things this year, but I would also like to see if Plax may have just a little in the tank left. I say one more year for Haley, if he disappoints then there needs to be an end to his era.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), The_Joker (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #489
FanSince72
Team President

Big7BenHOF (12-25-2013), EbonySteel86 (12-24-2013), FrancoLambert (12-25-2013), Goldsteel86 (12-24-2013), harrison'samonster (12-24-2013), Millers the sh!t (12-24-2013), StainlessStill (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #490
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I didn't see WR Bubble Screen in the play selection?????
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-24-2013)