Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #521
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,917 Times in 777 Posts
Default Re: Fire Todd Haley!!!!!

LeBeau's system is fine. You don't put up the numbers and rank for so long in the league if what he preached for so long is burnt out. When it comes down to it, whether the league is changing or not, football is still football. Most of it is a mirage and disguise. Anticipation is key to any defense and whether you want to call zone, blitz or bring the entire house, the most important key to football is simple fundamentals like tackling, technique and putting your players in the best matchups to succeed.

You can only confuse an offense in this league so much. It doesn't matter what exotic blitz is called, if you're not there and if our defense is lacking simple discipline to play in cohesion with each other, chances are, things are going to go from bad to worse and in many case's, LeBeau's system is a defense build off of cohesion and perfection.

Too much is being made out of the league coming up with some way to combat opposing offense's. Our problem on defense, from what I've seen over the years, isn't LeBeau's system, which is evolving, but the lack of execution. Once the ball is snapped, it's just the matter of doing your job once the pre-snap "OMAHA, OMAHA!" garbage is out of the way. The Steelers problems right now is the lack of diciplin, cohesion and fundamentals.

ALL COACHABLE.
cali_fan (08-24-2014), harrison'samonster (08-23-2014), Lady Steel (08-23-2014), SH-Rock (08-23-2014), steelfury02 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #522
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I like your optimism!
I like his analysis.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-23-2014), steelfury02 (08-24-2014), teegre (08-24-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #523
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,441 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
LeBeau's system is fine. You don't put up the numbers and rank for so long in the league if what he preached for so long is burnt out. When it comes down to it, whether the league is changing or not, football is still football. Most of it is a mirage and disguise. Anticipation is key to any defense and whether you want to call zone, blitz or bring the entire house, the most important key to football is simple fundamentals like tackling, technique and putting your players in the best matchups to succeed.

You can only confuse an offense in this league so much. It doesn't matter what exotic blitz is called, if you're not there and if our defense is lacking simple discipline to play in cohesion with each other, chances are, things are going to go from bad to worse and in many case's, LeBeau's system is a defense build off of cohesion and perfection.

Too much is being made out of the league coming up with some way to combat opposing offense's. Our problem on defense, from what I've seen over the years, isn't LeBeau's system, which is evolving, but the lack of execution. Once the ball is snapped, it's just the matter of doing your job once the pre-snap "OMAHA, OMAHA!" garbage is out of the way. The Steelers problems right now is the lack of diciplin, cohesion and fundamentals.

ALL COACHABLE.
Lombardi always said football comes down to blocking and tackling, and if anyone else told you otherwise then he is a liar.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-23-2014), steelfury02 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #524
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,736 Times in 5,648 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Kaboly: Haley has plan to get back at Snoop Dogg

August 23, 2014 by Mark Kaboly

Todd Haley and Terrell Owens going back-and-forth with each other.

Todd Haley and Kurt Warner have shouting matches on the sidelines.

Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger reportedly not getting along when Haley was hired as offensive coordinator to replace Roethlisberger’s good friend Bruce Arians.

Todd Haley, a napkin, a hotel bar and an autograph. A dog sitter suing him.

That’s what we hear about Todd Haley.

What we don’t hear about Haley is that he has a pretty good sense of humor. Actually, a real good sense of humor.

By now everybody has heard about, or saw, rap star Snoop Dogg’s video (sorry I can’t link it here because of some profanity) of him berating Haley and pleading for Mike Tomlin to fire Haley. Snoop has been a long time Steelers fan and was actually at the their Super Bowl XLIII party the night the Steelers beat the Cardinals.

So, what’s Haley reaction?

How about the ice bucket challenge?

Haley said that he would like to take part in the challenge to support ALS and then nominate Snoop Dogg in the process to do the same.

Of course, this would happen only if it is OKd by the boss, which something tells me it wouldn’t.

Still, I do believe it would be a pretty good response to Snoop’s video, don’t you?

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#ixzz3BFr6JNEH
Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #525
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,651 Times in 2,539 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
OK, but how often can he go to the well?

Yes the Zone Blitz was his baby but that's been dissected to death and everyone uses a variation of it.

I think that LeBeau may still have the mind for this but does he have the willingness to make the wholesale changes in his way of thinking that would be required?

Does he have the ability and the willingness to accept the fact that the Steelers' identity as a defensive team may have to take a back seat to its offense?

I believe in giving everyone a fair chance and maybe LeBeau has been held back by a lack of personnel and injuries so I'd like to see what he can do now.

I hope it works for him (and for us) because contrary to popular belief, I DO respect the man and I'd like to see him end his career (assuming that's a near-future thing) on as high a note as is possible.

So I'm placing my trust in him as you request.

But if you think I'm a PITA now, just wait and see what happens if things go south!
Do you ever, you know, actually read any of the articles posted here at Steelers Fever? Seriously. Do you? Because I have my doubts.

Let me direct you to this article. Please read it in its entirety so you can enlighten yourself.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...15&postcount=1

As far as Coach LeBeau's retirement is concerned, that's simply none of your business. That's between Coach LeBeau and the Steelers. Maybe you need to come to terms with that and stop discriminating against people based on their age.

I agree with @tony hipchest's previous post about you continuing to drink the haterade. Your posts reek of your dislike for Coach LeBeau and always have. So be it, as that's your prerogative, but please don't piss on our leg and tell us it's raining.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-24-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-24-2014), SteelerJT (08-24-2014), tony hipchest (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #526
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,843 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
Do you ever, you know, actually read any of the articles posted here at Steelers Fever? Seriously. Do you? Because I have my doubts.

Let me direct you to this article. Please read it in its entirety so you can enlighten yourself.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...15&postcount=1

As far as Coach LeBeau's retirement is concerned, that's simply none of your business. That's between Coach LeBeau and the Steelers. Maybe you need to come to terms with that and stop discriminating against people based on their age.

I agree with @tony hipchest's previous post about you continuing to drink the haterade. Your posts reek of your dislike for Coach LeBeau and always have. So be it, as that's your prerogative, but please don't piss on our leg and tell us it's raining.
I'm not sure what your point is.

That article (like most) expresses an opinion.
As far as quotes from LeBeau are concerned, he's saying what any coach would say in terms of his evaluation of the current talent.
Does that mean it's going to work?

Who knows?

I'm sure he said the same things each of the last two or three seasons and none of those defenses was worth writing home about.
Yes, on paper I know all about Number One this or Number Two that, but in game situations we simply gave up too many yards at critical times allowing opponents to score. What good is being able to brag about holding an opponent to, say, 200 yards when 50 or 80 of those yards were allowed with minutes to play and the game on the line resulting in TD's or FG's that allowed them to win?

Lastly, I don't know where this "dislike for Coach LeBeau" thing is coming from nor do I get the "age discrimination" thing either.

Over the years I, like everyone else, have been completely and happily impressed with the things LeBeau has done and I have nothing but respect for him because of it. But after 55 years in the NFL (40 of them coaching), I think he's lost a step.
I don't mean that it's necessarily because he's turning 77 next month, but rather because he's been at it for so long that I wonder if the innovation and/or the desire to implement it is still there as was in the past.
Can you or anyone else say that after doing something for so long you could approach it with the same enthusiasm and desire as you did 40 years earlier?

I respect LeBeau, but unlike you and others, I don't put him on a pedestal or regard him as being above criticism. He may be a special person in many ways and he may be a father-figure to many players (which he is and has been), but he's just a person, not a god and he IS fallible and his skills are capable of eroding just as is true for all of us.

And that is MY opinion.

So to quote my previous post: "...maybe LeBeau has been held back by a lack of personnel and injuries so I'd like to see what he can do now.

I hope it works for him (and for us) because contrary to popular belief, I DO respect the man and I'd like to see him end his career (assuming that's a near-future thing) on as high a note as is possible."

If you can find "hate" in that, then I'd like to know how you did.
steelfury02 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #527
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine

just waiting for Dick to retire so haters can latch onto something else they can call eroded and outdated

I'm sure Ben is on their list of up and coming complaints related to father time

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-24-2014), Lady Steel (08-24-2014), teegre (08-24-2014), tony hipchest (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #528
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,651 Times in 2,539 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is.:
I know you don't because you're simply not smart enough.

Quote:
As far as quotes from LeBeau are concerned, he's saying what any coach would say in terms of his evaluation of the current talent.
Oh really? So now you know what any and all coaches would say in terms of their evaluation of their current talent? You personally know all those coaches and what they would say, huh? I have to laugh at those who think they can speak for everyone else. They're wrong. Are you saying Coach LeBeau is a liar? Or maybe that he's too old and senile to know what he's saying? You're simply too much!

Quote:
I respect LeBeau.
No, you don't. Anyone who respects another person doesn't defile their surname. I've seen a lot of those on this board. If you're not one of them, then my apologies.

I dislike Todd Haley. A lot. I can't stand him as a coach or as a person. But at least I own it. Speaking of which, you may want to take a look at the title of this thread. If you want to degrade and demean Coach LeBeau, then start a "Retire Lebeau" or "Fire LeBeau" thread.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-24-2014), tony hipchest (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #529
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,418 Times in 4,681 Posts

Quote:
snip
I have my own issues with the defense, including LeBeau himself, but @Lady Steel knows what she's talking about.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (08-27-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #530
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,843 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
I know you don't because you're simply not smart enough.
Jeez, with a 148 I.Q. I thought I had the "smart enough" thing covered.
I guess I'll just have to work on that some more.

Quote:
Oh really? So now you know what any and all coaches would say in terms of their evaluation of their current talent? You personally know all those coaches and what they would say, huh? I have to laugh at those who think they can speak for everyone else. They're wrong. Are you saying Coach LeBeau is a liar? Or maybe that he's too old and senile to know what he's saying? You're simply too much!
Well it doesn't take a degree in Differential Calculus to guess that pretty much ANY coach "worth his salt" would say: "... you look at the guys you're gonna have and try to identify what their particular strengths are and put them in position to utilize those strengths."

If you don't believe me just watch about 30 minutes of coach interviews on ESPN and after about three or so you could simply Copy/Paste the response of one and apply it to all.

As far as "liar" and "senile" are concerned, how exactly did you come to infer that from ANYTHING I've written about LeBeau?

Are you perhaps reading MY mind?

Quote:
No, you don't. Anyone who respects another person doesn't defile their surname. I've seen a lot of those on this board. If you're not one of them, then my apologies.
"Defile their surname"?
What, you mean like the morons who write "Billary" instead of "Hillary"?

I dare you to go through every post I've ever made and find ONE - just ONE example of my ever doing that - not just to him but to anyone.

(go ahead, I'll wait...)

Quote:
I dislike Todd Haley. A lot. I can't stand him as a coach or as a person. But at least I own it. Speaking of which, you may want to take a look at the title of this thread. If you want to degrade and demean Coach LeBeau, then start a "Retire Lebeau" or "Fire LeBeau" thread.
See I'm not that rigid.

It's no secret that I didn't like Todd Haley when he first arrived and for quite some time afterward. I didn't hate him because I don't hate anyone and I don't know him well enough to even begin to approach hatred (apparently in your case he's done something to you on a personal level to justify your hatred but that's something for you and Todd to work out). But nowadays I've warmed to his way of doing things and it would appear that Ben and he get along much better than in the past and I'm actually looking forward to see what his offense (their offense) can do this season. So unlike you, I'm able to reassess things and change my opinion accordingly.

As for LeBeau, I'll stand by what I said about respecting him but I do feel that he deserves criticism for what lately can only be described as a very "Non-LeBeau-like" defensive effort.
Believe it or not, it's possible to respect someone and still be able to criticize them or find fault in what they do and though I DO tend to lean too much on sarcasm (everyone has their flaws), it's just criticism not degradation.

But since you obviously know me better than I know myself, I'm sure I'm wrong about that too.

Anyway, I guess that's about it.
So let me ask you -- if I need to know what I'm thinking in the future, would you like me to IM you first to find out or should I just post something and have you make the corrections on the board?

Hugs & Kisses!