Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Is our linebacking core right now a weakness?

Another thread got me looking at our LB corps. Since the 70's its been a strength, I am wondering now if its no longer a strength or is it a weakness.

Here is why:

1- Harrison's age
2- When we lost our starting OLBs last year we had no one who could step in and do anything. I didnt expect to get production like the starters but the fillers were non-exisistant.
3- Timmons has yet to live up to his first round expectations
4- Is Woodley's non-impact injury a start of something or a fluke?
5- No clear cut starter on the inside next to Timmons
6- No depth inside.

Not brewing with confidence but I am sure the front office will address this.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
NSMaster56
Team President

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,198 Posts
Default Re: Is our linebacking core right now a weakness?

No.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Another thread got me looking at our LB corps. Since the 70's its been a strength, I am wondering now if its no longer a strength or is it a weakness.

Here is why:

1- Harrison's age
2- When we lost our starting OLBs last year we had no one who could step in and do anything. I didnt expect to get production like the starters but the fillers were non-exisistant.
6- No depth inside.

1. Harrison's age is a concern, yes, but he also had a late start to his NFL career, and he takes very good care of his body. It is conceivable that he has another 4 solid years in him.
2. Jason Worilds was injured and Chris Carter wasn't ready. The instability of the defensive line did not help either.
3. We've gone through this one before, and your claim that he does not make "impact"/"splash" plays was already demonstrably refuted by pointing out that in his one full, healthy season as a starter at inside linebacker, the only player that had more was Harrison on the entire team.
4. It's far, far, far more likely a fluke than the start of a trend. Injury paranoia is getting ridiculous.
5. That's what training camp is for. The only reason that Foote is not necessarily the clear cut starter is simply because the coaching staff believes in Sylvester's potential.
6. There's still Mortty Ivy, and whomever doesn't start between Foote and Sylvester will be the other backup. That is perfectly sound depth, yet it is still highly likely that they will add to this in the draft.

I do not even remotely share your skepticism for the reasons cited above.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post

Here is why:

1- Harrison's age
6- No depth inside.

1. Wont be an issue this year
2. Not true, Worilds played pretty well backing up both Woodley and Harrison
3. I disagree, Timmons is one of the better ILB's in the league, he had a lot of responsibility this year
4. Everybody get's hurt sometimes
5. Foote will do fine
6. True

Bottom line, LB is still one of our strongest spots, we have the best two OLB in the league and Timmons, come on!
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Seriously? Weakness?

If Woodley still has hammy issues than it could be a problem, as they can double team Hairrison. So to me it comes down to Woodleys health determining how strong we are next year.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts

no...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
1. Harrison's age is a concern, yes, but he also had a late start to his NFL career, and he takes very good care of his body. It is conceivable that he has another 4 solid years in him.
I "take good care of my body"-- I am 35, and I feel a difference between when I was 25 and being 35, and I am not doing OTAs, practice reps, drills, and actually playing the games. Did you see Harrison this year? A bad back is a common enough problem for those of us that are in the twighlight years of an NFL career.... I think Harrison is 35 now-- you think he is going to be playing until he is 39 really?!?!

Quote:
2. Jason Worilds was injured and Chris Carter wasn't ready. The instability of the defensive line did not help either.
Worilds was NOT injured until later in the season. Other than that, he has yet to impress when on the field. Has he even notched a single sack yet? Chris Carter looked descent, but is still untested.

Quote:
3. We've gone through this one before, and your claim that he does not make "impact"/"splash" plays was already demonstrably refuted by pointing out that in his one full, healthy season as a starter at inside linebacker, the only player that had more was Harrison on the entire team.
I must have missed that thread too-- I have yet to see Timmons make any splash plays in the 3 or 4 years I have been watching him-- unless you consider gettting beaten repeatedly by tight ends and bowled over by opposing runningbacks a "splash play". When he was moved to the outside (which is his native position-- we converted him to ILB), he became even more invisible.

Quote:
4. It's far, far, far more likely a fluke than the start of a trend. Injury paranoia is getting ridiculous.
Maybe.

Quote:
6. There's still Mortty Ivy, and whomever doesn't start between Foote and Sylvester will be the other backup. That is perfectly sound depth, yet it is still highly likely that they will add to this in the draft.
Mortty who? Undrafted no-name is what our linebacker corps is going to be held up by?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I "take good care of my body"-- I am 35, and I feel a difference between when I was 25 and being 35, and I am not doing OTAs, practice reps, drills, and actually playing the games. Did you see Harrison this year? A bad back is a common enough problem for those of us that are in the twighlight years of an NFL career.... I think Harrison is 35 now-- you think he is going to be playing until he is 39 really?!?!

Harrison is 33. Did you watch his play after he returned from his eye injury? He was as strong as ever.

Worilds was NOT injured until later in the season. Other than that, he has yet to impress when on the field. Has he even notched a single sack yet? Chris Carter looked descent, but is still untested.

Wow, are you actually blatantly incorrectly stating facts? Worilds was injured during weeks 5-8 while Harrison was out. You know...the reason that Timmons was starting instead of Worilds. Yes, Worilds has sacks. Maybe you should watch more closely.

I must have missed that thread too-- I have yet to see Timmons make any splash plays in the 3 or 4 years I have been watching him-- unless you consider gettting beaten repeatedly by tight ends and bowled over by opposing runningbacks a "splash play". When he was moved to the outside (which is his native position-- we converted him to ILB), he became even more invisible.

I feel bad for you that you have not seen him make any splash plays, because that must mean that you have not watched many Steelers games.

Maybe.

Probably.

Mortty who? Undrafted no-name is what our linebacker corps is going to be held up by?
People were throwing fits when he didn't make the 53 last pre-season. He has as much potential as plenty of other 8th or 9th string linebackers on other teams.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts

in general, steelerfans are the most knowledgable group of fans out there.

in this thread?

not so much.

worilds pretty much came out the gate sacking qb's in the latter part of his rookie season when he finally got a chance to see the field.

i love it how when LB's such as lewis and fletcher are still making pro-bowls, steelerfans are already kicking the dirt on harrison.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Riddle: Junior Seau played until he was 42 and he started for the chargers day 1.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote