Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067
Default Do we really want Redman to start?

Before I get into this, I just want to say that I personally do think that he should start over Mendy next year, I think he has proven himself enough to get a chance.

But.... I've heard many Steelers fans saying that they would like Redman to start over Mendenhall next year. I'm wondering a reason for this is personal against Mendenhall, or if you guys really believe that Redman is the better back.

I understand that Mendenhall rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his 9/11 comments, which I personally didn't have a problem with. I just thought he was trying to stir up conversation, which if you read his other tweets, he enjoyed starting a debate between his followers. Sometimes I do wonder if some Steelers fans just want Redman to start because they flat out hate Mendenhall.

My reasoning for wanting Redman is due to the way he ran compared to Mendy this year, I felt like Redman ran a lot harder and didn't dance before he met the hole. I'm also worried that Rashard's knee won't be ready by week 1.

I just want to get a feel for where some of the fans stand on this?
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511
Default Re: Do we really want Redman to start?

Considering that there haven't been holes for Mendenhall to hit, by design, it's really hard to know what he will do assuming Todd Haley doesn't set out to ruin his career, the way Arians was.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Redman will have to start next year, no choice in the matter. ACLs take a while to really get back to 100%. Rashard will play next year, but he won't have that suddenness and glide that we've all come to expect, at least not until the following year, when his contract has expired and some other team signs him.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

It took Baron Batch this long to heal from his ACL. I'm not expecting Mendy to be back until at least Week 5 or 6
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,359 Times in 4,302 Posts

i think people have hated mendenhall (or thought he was soft) long before his tweets or alleged fumble problems, or perceived dancing in the hole, becaus he is kinda worldly, aloof, well spoken, and highly inteligent, who enjoys dance classes, and writing poetry.

i would say many steelerfans have as much hatred towards him as they do rickey williams, regardless of what numbers they do, or are capable of putting up.

regardless, he is coming of a severe knee injury and there is no telling how he will be in the future. maybe he is incapable of spin moves and will actually be a better back and i bet steelerfans would hat on him just the same.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoldman View Post
It took Baron Batch this long to heal from his ACL. I'm not expecting Mendy to be back until at least Week 5 or 6
Even Batch won't be 100% at season's start. Rashard... forget about it. Like I said, he'll play, but he won't be starter-worthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think people have hated mendenhall (or thought he was soft) long before his tweets or alleged fumble problems, or perceived dancing in the hole, becaus he is kinda worldly, aloof, well spoken, and highly inteligent, who enjoys dance classes, and writing poetry.

i would say many steelerfans have as much hatred towards him as they do rickey williams, regardless of what numbers they do, or are capable of putting up.

regardless, he is coming of a severe knee injury and there is no telling how he will be in the future. maybe he is incapable of spin moves and will actually be a better back and i bet steelerfans would hat on him just the same.
True, that.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
Before I get into this, I just want to say that I personally do think that he should start over Mendy next year, I think he has proven himself enough to get a chance.

But.... I've heard many Steelers fans saying that they would like Redman to start over Mendenhall next year. I'm wondering a reason for this is personal against Mendenhall, or if you guys really believe that Redman is the better back.

I understand that Mendenhall rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his 9/11 comments, which I personally didn't have a problem with. I just thought he was trying to stir up conversation, which if you read his other tweets, he enjoyed starting a debate between his followers. Sometimes I do wonder if some Steelers fans just want Redman to start because they flat out hate Mendenhall.

My reasoning for wanting Redman is due to the way he ran compared to Mendy this year, I felt like Redman ran a lot harder and didn't dance before he met the hole. I'm also worried that Rashard's knee won't be ready by week 1.

I just want to get a feel for where some of the fans stand on this?
I dont think his tweets had anything to do with it. Mendenhall is a soft running back. And when a guy is put together the way he is, and isn't running north and south, it bothers you. Brandon Jacobs is the same way. The rift with him and red checks was he tip toes too much, same with Mendenhall. We all saw Redman in the Denver game against a good D, he ran north and south and was very effective. Maybe a full back can change things, I hope they can get a full back in the offense next year, it would really help. And for god sakes, cut David Johnson or put him on the practice squad. He cant block or catch the ****ing ball, how the hell is this guy a starter?!
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
ZiggyHeyward
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23044

Our O-line (other then Pouncey) has been pathetic since Faneca left especially the guard play there are no holes for Mendenhall to run through every running play the o-line gets pushed into the backfield and Mendy is tackled before he can even look for a hole which isn't there anyway. Redman has had more success creating something out of nothing but with the edition of Haley and hopefully a new guard I think Mendenhall can get back on track. I also wouldn't count out BB or Clay both should have a chance to carve out a roll in Haley's running attack.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Redman ran behind this same line and averaged 7 yards a carry....START HIM!!!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,358 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I hope they can get a full back in the offense next year, it would really help. And for god sakes, cut David Johnson or put him on the practice squad. He cant block or catch the ****ing ball, how the hell is this guy a starter?!
but if DJ catches the ball good luck bringing him down
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote