Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936
Default Re: Mike Wallace for another #1 pick?

you are right! THIS is what pisses me off about the steelers,they stay with the picks the are given and that is it.We do not attempt these things and when we really want to trade up other teams jack up their asking price because we have not built relationships with other teams
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
The Steelers losing Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent may not be all that far fetched from actually happening. With Josh Mcdaniels back in New England and having his best success when Randy Moss was there, isn't a big play receiver the one thing the Patriots offense is missing? Isn't that why you knew they had little chance of beating the Giants at the end because they now have become a dink and dunk offense. Imagine what Brady's accuracy could do with Wallace who was missed by Ben many more times then he was connected with.

The Patriots pick is 31st and they have no chance of finding a Mike Wallace in this year's draft where the first round talent grades actually stop around the early 20's (this being a very weak draft year).

It's almost a no brainer for the Patriots. But what if say the Philadelphia Eagles who might not want to franchise Desean Jackson offer up their 15th overall pick for Wallace?

1st round Draft could look something like this for the Steelers.

15th pick OG David Decastro
24th pick ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanu or even OG Glenn

or with the patriot's pick:

24th and 31st could snag 2 of these guys
ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanuor or even OG Glenn as well.

A tall receiver in the 2nd or 3rd could be
Rueben Randle, Dwight Jones, or Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa my personal favorite and I think the Steelers should look at even with Mike Wallace on the roster.

It's Unlikely be get a top 20 out of Wallace but it is very likely the Patriots would give up a 31st pick for him.

nice post but wont happen... the Steelers will do what they need to clear cap room.. there is no way to function at all if they cant afford to pay a number one receiver... after all the cuts we make and redoing of contracts there will be enough money to sign rookies and take care of wallace... I bet you anything you got we slap the franchise tag on him before we lose him... whoelse do we need the tag for this year...??? then we will sign him long term and free that cap money back up... Wallace being gone is not a concern mark it down
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

For the conspiracy fans out there who think Rooney is pulling some shadow government NWO NFL power plays, suppose they let Wallace roll to Indy to go with Luck and remind Ben that the deep ball at all costs nonsense went out the door with his fishing buddy?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

hate to see him leave....he is fast but when your qb cant connect w him but once in a while its a waste.....AND WE HAVE NO O LINE!!!!!
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor179 View Post
hate to see him leave....he is fast but when your qb cant connect w him but once in a while its a waste.....AND WE HAVE NO O LINE!!!!!
He's in all likelihood not going anywhere, this is just discussion. Rooney said he's his first priority.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

if we can afford him then we will sign him before the season but if he wants top 3 money then i say we tender him and let another team have him and gain a 1st rounder. he is awesome but he isnt a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Megatron. i really want to keep him but if we cant then i hope we get something better for him then we did Holmes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
if we can afford him then we will sign him before the season but if he wants top 3 money then i say we tender him and let another team have him and gain a 1st rounder. he is awesome but he isnt a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Megatron. i really want to keep him but if we cant then i hope we get something better for him then we did Holmes

we gonna keep him I actually think they will franchise him if then have to but I expect to sign him without much trouble.. I will say this in response to your post... I'll will agree he is no Fitzgerald... but Im not sure how great he can be... He had a complete idiot trying to be an O coord... If used correctly ( like crossing routes that he can take 80 yards like Jerry rice made a habit out of ) he could be un real... We always just try to throw him a 70 yard bomb.... knowing the Safety is gonna be there everytime but thats BA's bullshit.. Lets see what a real O coord can do with this talent..

I will agree though about Fitzgerald... He is just in the wrong place.. but I think Larry could have been the best we ever saw play the game if he would have been in a place like Rice played his hole life...He has skills like I never seen before with Speed Height Power and attitude... I think he is a bigger more powerful version of Randy Moss with a better attitude problem is he has retards throwing the ball to him and retards trying to win games out there
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,397 Times in 2,722 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 calsteel View Post
you are right! THIS is what pisses me off about the steelers,they stay with the picks the are given and that is it.We do not attempt these things and when we really want to trade up other teams jack up their asking price because we have not built relationships with other teams
we do if it's worth it. we did trade up for polamalu.

what we're doing is a lot smarter than some other teams who trade too much to move up
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,570 Posts

if somebody wants to snatch wallace away for a 1st and 3rd i'm all for it. especially if he's gonna be lookin for a 50+ million contract. (holmes money) . if they back the money truck up to him, then what happens to brown and sanders when its their turn to get paid ? can't throw big money at all of em.
i like wallace , but i don't like how he disappears for some games. i think brown brings more to the table at this point.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Holmes got traded because of his off-field issue. I don't see the Steelers trading their No.1 reciever again, especially after Rooney said he's his first priority. And for people who think Wallace and Ben don't connect, it's hard for Ben to throw an accurate bomb to Wallace when he was playing with one leg only. When Ben is healthy, they connect pretty well.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote