Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Haley: Steelers scheme will be built to succeed, score

Haley: Steelers scheme will be built to succeed, score
Friday, February 10, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Andrew Rush/Post-Gazette
Todd Haley: "If you are sensitive, this is ... not the best place to be."

Todd Haley wasted little time assuring everyone that the Steelers offense he will run will do whatever is necessary to win.

If that means throwing the ball like he did when he was the offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, fine. If that means running the ball like he did in 2 1/2 seasons as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, that's fine, too.

But, after saying there is "a lot of carry over" and similar terminology from the offense Bruce Arians ran, Haley made it clear at his introductory news conference Thursday that he is not merely taking the wheel and letting the Steelers offense operate the way it has been accustomed.

"We're going to start with a clean slate and what gives us the best possible chance to succeed and score a lot of points," Haley said.

PG VIDEO

And Haley, 44, does not seem the least bit worried about working with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had a close relationship with Arians and was upset when Arians' contract was not renewed. Nor is Haley concerned the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback might be resistant to some of the changes in the offense.

Haley, who grew up in Upper St. Clair, has been at the Steelers facility since Monday, when his hiring was announced. But he still has not met with Roethlisberger, even though Roethlisberger was in the building nearly right up to the time of Haley's noon news conference.

"Transition will always be, I don't want to say difficult, because I don't know how we could determine that right now; it's just starting," Haley said. "There is an uncomfortable aspect to newness, but that's not always a bad thing. I think it will be a great thing in this case. I am sure [Roethlisberger] will figure out we are trying to make him as good as he can possibly be. Not many players that I know of have ever had an issue with that."

Haley and former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell were the only known candidates to visit the Steelers and interview for the position.

The Steelers discussed internally the possibility of quarterback coach Randy Fichtner and offensive line coach Sean Kugler splitting the offensive coordinator's duties -- with Fichtner in charge of the passing game and Kugler responsible for the running game. That arrangement would last until running back coach Kirby Wilson -- considered the heir apparent to Arians -- could return from the severe burns he suffered in a fire at his home.

But there is no certainty about if or when Wilson will return.

"He clearly brings intangibles we really value," coach Mike Tomlin said of Haley. "I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of research, and I was impressed by his resume but also his love for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That was really unique to me."

Tomlin said the transition to Haley's offense is "going to be a challenge." But, he added, "We find pleasure in that being a mystery."

Haley was brought in to help an offense that had a 4,000-yard quarterback and two 1,000-yard receivers score more points (they ranked 21st in the NFL in 2011).

But the Steelers also are hoping he will help Roethlisberger "tweak" his game -- the words of team president Art Rooney II -- and, hopefully, eliminate some of the pounding he absorbs as he enters his ninth NFL season.

Curiously, the Chiefs were the lowest-scoring team in the AFC and second-lowest in the NFL in 2011, managing just 218 points. The Chiefs, however, had many key injuries, including losing top running back Jamal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel.

"There's a lot of talk about systems, offense and defense, and I believe you do what gives you the best chance to succeed," Haley said. "If the best chance to succeed is running 63 times a game, you run 63 times a game. :appla udit:

"I am going to do what gives our players the chance to be the best they can possibly be because, generally, when that is occurring, you are doing well enough. I am not a statistics guy as far as end-of-the-year stats, but I want to protect the football and score points."

Haley has a reputation as a coach who is not afraid to get in a player's face and scream at him -- a tag that followed him from Arizona to Kansas City. But he is not worried it will have an adverse effect on his players, even Roethlisberger.

Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, who won two league MVPs and a Super Bowl MVP before he went to Arizona, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Monday he was perfectly OK with Haley screaming at him on the sideline. He said all his former offensive coordinator was doing was trying to make him a better player.

"One of the first things I will say to these guys is we aren't going to be into a lot of sensitivity," Haley said. "If you are sensitive, this is probably not the best place to be. But I have to adhere to it, too. I dish it out, but I have to take it.

"This is a passionate, emotional game, and you watch the playoffs, and everybody is a little different. It is about the end result, and these guys really appreciate that. If they know you have their goals in mind, and they all want to be great players, as good as they can possibly be, once they figure out that that is what you care about, it is a non-issue, generally."

Haley has bloodlines with the Steelers because his dad, Dick, was the team's personnel director from 1971-90. He also had a chance to become the team's receivers coach for Bill Cowher in 2004, but he declined the offer to become an assistant coach under Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.

"All my early memories in life somehow revolved around the Steelers," Haley said. "My earliest memory was watching the Immaculate Reception. Those things have stayed with me, and they are a big part of who and what I am.

"In my mind, this is the greatest organization and the greatest team in the NFL.

"And that comes from the heart."
Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12041...#ixzz1lylQneGF
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Haley: Steelers scheme will be built to succeed, score

Good read
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,214 Times in 656 Posts

The more I read about Haley and from what I heard in his press conference, I think this was a great hire for the Steelers.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Glad to hear Haley is serious about winning and improving the offense. Maybe he'll light a fire under the offense's butts and this will motivate them to be more consistent. Love to see what he will do this fall!
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

It all Starts With Colbert, Tomlin and Kugler improving that Oline...Hopefully Haley can add a voice to that...Along with getting Pouncey some steel reinforced ankle braces, and making sure Gilbert gets his head in the game for a whole season
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
wyn50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8941

They are only a couple lineman away from having a good o-line.
wyn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Hey .... He should be the head coach
Yeah right..

Tomlin will keep this guy in check but this hiring is all about
ROONEY
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,868 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyn50 View Post
They are only a couple lineman away from having a good o-line.
any new lineman will be set back 2-3 years having to learn haleys offense.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
any new lineman will be set back 2-3 years having to learn haleys offense.
Just make sure we get the ones that scored genius on the wonderlic test. Shouldn't be much of a drop off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,868 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Just make sure we get the ones that scored genius on the wonderlic test. Shouldn't be much of a drop off.

damn... that means pouncey and gilbert are out. theyre dunces. they will be set back 2-3 years as well, along with dwyer, redman, batch, saunders, brown, sanders, and finally the vet of our youth movement mike wallace.

w/o draft picks, thats almost half of our entire offensive roster.

so much for our youth movement.