Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Thoughts on Haley

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Thursday, February 09, 2012
Thoughts on Haley

I have largely reserved my thoughts on the Steelers' hiring of Todd Haley to this point.

But after meeting with Haley today and then hearing what Ben Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette, I can hold back no longer.

Roethlisberger reportedly told the P-G that he has heard from a lot of people regarding Haley, some good some bad, but that he is reserving judgment.

He then, however, said he'd hate to see the offense changed because it could set the team's young receivers back two or three years.

Which ones? The ones who have only been in the league for two or three years?

That is a ridiculous statement by Roethlisberger
and, though Haley did not address the quarterback's comments directly, he did say that players usually see that he has their best interests at heart when he is doing things.

Roethlisberger liked Bruce Arians. And he was comfortable with Arians as offensive coordinator because he got to call a lot of the shots.

That dynamic is now gone and Roethlisberger is wary of what the results will be.

I get that.

But the Steelers made the decision to move on from Arians because they felt he was an enabler.

We always heard the excuses. The Steelers were a play away here or there, they weren't all on the same page, etc., etc.

Haley won't settle for excuses. He'll want results.

And if that means not playing Chris Kemoeatu at left guard for two seasons longer than he should have, so be it.:appla udit:

If that means Roethlisberger will be forced to get the ball out of his hands more quickly to take fewer sacks in an attempt to keep him from being injured, that's just dandy as well.

Haley has shown that he's not afraid to call what he thinks his team does best. When he was with the Cardinals, it was a prolific passing attack. When he moved on to Kansas City, a power-running game took over.

As Haley said Thursday, his emphasis is on winning. And Roethlisberger, who is as competitive as they come, won't have a problem with that.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Haley

I agree with most of this. I think Haley will be good for the Offense if he quickly earns the respect and asserts himself, which should be no problem.

I think he is gonna work with what he has here and refine it. This, instead of installing HIS specific scheme, which he may not have the players for.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Good stuff.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

I just hope Ben is above purposely tanking some drives to try and prove a point.

With how whiney and Ben has been about all of this it would not surprise me in the least if he did.

I like Ben and all, but damn the guy has some maturing to do.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Offensive coordinators have schemes??? You would never know it by watching the team under Airhead. I hope we have a scheme that does not include Ben running for his life 3/4 of the time and a scheme that does not include an empty backfield set on third and short in the red zone.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Haley said he's looking forward to working with Ben........and Ben has said he's looking forward to meeting Haley and learning what he has in store for the offense.

Leave it at that. Don't read so much into it. Everything will be fine...i have a hunch these 2 will work very, very well together.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Haley said he's looking forward to working with Ben........and Ben has said he's looking forward to meeting Haley and learning what he has in store for the offense.

Leave it at that. Don't read so much into it. Everything will be fine...i have a hunch these 2 will work very, very well together.
Yep, exactly. But the media most certainly will NOT leave it at that

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,255 Times in 556 Posts

The talking heads point out two basic things about Haley; his work with the passing game in Arizona and his running game in KC.

That suggests that he plays to his strengths and uses the talent he has available to him. If that is what Haley really is all about, then I think we have little to worry about.
His resume demonstrates that he will recognize that we are better built (talent wise) to be a strong passing team and he will likely trend in that direction which should keep Ben happy.

I think Haley will be able to take Ben out of his comfort zone (something I freely admit needs to happen) and force him to realize that passing isn't everything and to pay more attention to other aspects of the offense and I think Ben is mature enough to handle that and may even come to realize that that's probably a good thing anyway.

The only thing that concerns me (because of Haley's reputation for confrontation) is if he was brought in solely to "shake things up", then that could backfire and cause more trouble than it's worth.

But otherwise, I think Haley (based on what I know of him) will at least try to bring some needed balance to this team and should be able to use the talent we have to our best advantage (at least I'm hoping that's so). He said in his presser that if we have to run the ball "63 times in a game" then that's what we'd do. I hope he meant that in terms of a particular opponent rather than as an overall philosophy because if he's hell bent on making this a running team, then we could be in for a long transition period.

We'll see...
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,168 Times in 3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

I think Haley will be able to take Ben out of his comfort zone (something I freely admit needs to happen) ....

The only thing that concerns me (because of Haley's reputation for confrontation) is if he was brought in solely to "shake things up", then that could backfire and cause more trouble than it's worth.

We'll see...
Of course it may be a fine line between taking Ben out of his comfort zone and shaking things up

Ben is now going out of his way to claim Arians actually would criticize him from time to time

Roethlisberger also said people have it wrong about his relationship with Arians. Yes, he said, they were and remain friends, but they had their disagreements and arguments, just out of the public eye.

"People made such a big deal about, 'I had it too easy because we were friends,' or whatever. I think anybody in sports should understand, you and your position coach should have a good relationship. Now, if you're buddy-buddy with the head coach, that might be a little issue. You should, as a quarterback, with the guy you work with every day, you should have a relationship with him even outside of football because if we just talked every day about football, you'd go nuts and kill each other.

"To have a relationship is good because he is your buffer to the head coach and to work so closely with someone is how you develop a relationship.

"What we do behind closed doors, that's when I get yelled at. People think I've never been yelled at by B.A., never been chewed out and cussed out and had stuff thrown at me. That's happened quite a few times. I've seen a water bottle come flying."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12041/1209238-66-0.stm

OTOH Gerry Dulac of the P-G believes the fact Haley is a screamer may have been what sold the Steelers on him

From the time Todd Haley first interviewed to become offensive coordinator, I became convinced the Steelersí decision to hire him was based on something they saw in early December in another NFL game.

Remember the sideline spat between Tom Brady and Patriots offensive coordinator Bill OíBrien (now the Penn State coach) against the Washington Redskins that was caught on camera?...

Nobody has ever said to this to me, but I think when the Steelers saw the video of the spat, just like everyone else in America, they thought, ďIf their coordinator can scream and yell at Tom Brady, why canít our coordinator scream and yell at Ben Roethlisberger?Ē

Layered underneath the decision to not renew Ariansí contract and to subsequently hire Haley is that the Steelers feel their quarterback needs to have a tighter rein, whether from his own good or the good of the entire offense. If that means yelling at him when something goes wrong, so be it....

When Art Rooney II refers to Roethlisbergerís long-term health and the pounding he continues to take, he is not referring to the inadequacies of the offensive line or the need for a new left guard. He is saying the quarterback is holding the ball way too long and needs to throw it away more often Ė not just for his sake but, perhaps more important, the sake of the team.

And, when he doesnít, he needs to be reminded of it immediately, even if it means a sideline spanking or a public scolding.

Iíve run my belief by several coaches familiar with the Steelers situation and they agreed it is possible that what happened with Brady Ė arguably the finest quarterback in the game Ė could have influenced the Steelers decision.

Iím not saying Iím right. Iím not saying thatís the only reason they hired Haley. But I bet Iím not too far wrong.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...l-haley-hiring

Something needs to happen to get Ben to throw the ball away more - I know prolonging the play has been his game but the hit in the Cleveland game that cratered the season is more likely to recur as he ages and loses a step if his game is not tweaked
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Ben needs more that just throwing the ball away. He just needs to play smarter period.

Like taking better care of the football. Ben was a turnover waiting to happen in 2011. Good for at least a boneheaded turnover a game.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote