Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bires: It's up to Ben, Steelers to embrace Haley's methods

Bires: It's up to Ben, Steelers to embrace Haley's methods
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...tml?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:30 pm

PITTSBURGH

Sometime soon, Ben Roethlisberger will meet his new offensive coordinator. That may happen as early as today.

When they do sit down face to face for the first time, it promises to be interesting to say the least.

It’s well documented that the Steelers’ star quarterback is disappointed with the change from Bruce Arians to Todd Haley.

Too bad.

Arians is gone. Haley is here. It’s time to move on.

As a ninth-year pro whose three Super Bowl appearances put him in the upper echelon of NFL QBs, Roethlisberger should be mature enough to handle the transition. If indeed he is the leader he claims to be, he should embrace Haley’s plan and go with it.

It’s well documented that Roethlisberger and Arians had a solid working relationship and a good friendship away from football. Roethlisberger may never become close friends with Haley, but it’s up to him to make sure there’s a positive connection on the job.

Haley, who was fired 13 games into his third season as head coach in Kansas City, comes to Pittsburgh with the reputation as a head-strong guy who’s not afraid to yell at players if need be.

None of the Steelers, not even Roethlisberger, should feel threatened by that.

This is all about winning, and coaches throughout the years have had different ways of getting their message across. If Haley yells his head off and the Steelers light up the scoreboard, so be it.

“One of the first things I will say to these guys is we aren’t going to be into a lot of sensitivity,” Haley said. “If you are sensitive, this is probably not the best place to be.”

Really, Haley’s combustible personality might be exactly what the Steelers need to elevate their offense a few notches. How many times was it said last season that the Steelers are on the verge of developing into one of the league’s most explosive offenses?

Well, they weren’t, and injuries were only a part of the problem.

They didn’t run the ball well enough. Too often, wide receivers dropped passes or failed to make the great catch when given the chance. The O-line didn’t block well enough. And yes, Mr. Roethlisberger wasn’t always as great as he should have been.

The bottom line is that the Steelers ranked 22nd in the league in scoring.

If the Steelers are serious about their “standard is the standard” motto, finishing 22nd in scoring is unacceptable.

Often over the past five years, fans and media criticized Arians for his schemes and philosophies. For the most part, I defended him. The Steelers accomplished some pretty neat things under Arians, including making it to the Super Bowl twice.

More than the man calling the plays, it’s the men executing them who matter most. That’s why the Steelers have a good chance to become explosive under Haley’s watch. There’s a lot of talent on offense.

On Haley’s resume as an assistant and head coach are impressive success stories. He’s worked with Pro Bowl receivers in New York (Keyshawn Johnson), Dallas (Terry Glenn), Chicago (Marty Booker), Arizona (Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin) and Kansas City (Dwayne Bowe).

So Haley figures to be a positive influence on the Steelers’ “Young Money” wideout corps of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

Haley has also worked with Pro Bowl QBs before: Tony Romo in Dallas, Kurt Warner in Arizona and Matt Cassel in K.C.

And just to show that Haley is not all about the forward pass, the Chiefs led the NFL in rushing two years ago.

When asked Thursday if he’ll put more emphasis on the running game in Pittsburgh, Haley gave the perfect answer.

“Emphasis on winning,” he said.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653
Default Re: Bires: It's up to Ben, Steelers to embrace Haley's methods

It's up to Ben AND Haley to work out the best method together. Ben is not a rookie QB who knows nothing of being a elite QB. Ben should support Haley but at the same time it's Haley's job to convince the players that his plan works. It seems that the media (and some fans) have already thrown Ben under the bus and prepare to blame it all on Ben if Haley fails.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
It's up to Ben AND Haley to work out the best method together. Ben is not a rookie QB who knows nothing of being a elite QB. Ben should support Haley but at the same time it's Haley's job to convince the players that his plan works. It seems that the media (and some fans) have already thrown Ben under the bus and prepare to blame it all on Ben if Haley fails.
The media is always against Ben. Most people in the media hate the Steelers and anything they can do to make our QB look bad they will do. Im glad Haley is all about winning, problem is he hasnt won anything. His "sensitive" comment is stupid, your not some hard ass cause your position allows you to yell at people that you wouldnt dare raise your voice to on the street. Honestly, I hope I am wrong, but I have my doubts about it working out. If Haley had an impressive winning resume then I would tend to agree that Ben needs to completely adapt to Haley's style, but it's hard to expect Ben to completely follow Haley's style of play since Ben has been winning titles and is the franchise QB while Haley is the new guy who hasnt won sh*t. The offense needs to change, but its the play calling that needs to change, this tough guy hot headed garbage has no place on this team, we are worried about our offense adapting when we should be just as worried about Haley adapting. Not adapting to our style of offense, HELL NO, but just realizing that he is in a classy championship organization that has been there and done that without acting like an ass.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,116 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

My god. Off-season sucks, this is all they ever write about! "It's well documented that the Steelers' star is disappointed". Oh really? I listened to what he had to say, and he sounded optimistic. It's when it's put on paper by these journalist's that things get messed up and blown out of proportion.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
My god. Off-season sucks, this is all they ever write about! "It's well documented that the Steelers' star is disappointed". Oh really? I listened to what he had to say, and he sounded optimistic. It's when it's put on paper by these journalist's that things get messed up and blown out of proportion.
The media is out of control, sports and as a whole. It actually is contributing to the demise of our country, of course its not as important when it comes to sports, but to completely spin things in hope of getting a few more readers has no place in any reporting, sports or otherwise.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i think the media is getting out of hand. they are both professionals and will know what to do
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

That's what the media does, get the stories. It's when they actually get a true one that shocks the hell out of the world.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Why is everyone making such a big case out this? Haley likes to throw the ball. Ben likes to throw the ball.

Other than Haley coming across as being an Ahole at times, who cares.

Haley will not be able to successfully run the ball with these backs and OLINE. So what is thw big deal?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Media makes a big deal of everything...

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
tanda10506
Team President

He can run the ball great with "these" backs, just need a couple of guards and use a FB on the majority of running plays.