Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Subtle Tomlin sets record straight

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...cord-straight/
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

Subtle Tomlin sets record straight

February 10th, 2012

We have been interested in Mike Tomlin’s side of the story when it comes to the firing of Bruce Arians and the subsequent hiring of Todd Haley – both which appear from the outside to have Art Rooney’s fingerprints all over them.

In a 255-word, 2-minute opening statement introducing Haley as the team’s offensive coordinator on Thursday, Tomlin addressed the ever-growing sentiment that he had little to do with the hiring of Haley.

Oh, it was subtle, but it was there.

First, Tomlin introducing the hiring of a coach with a press conference is unusual; Rooney not being present for the news conference even though he was in building is also unusual; and Tomlin standing off in the corner smiling like a proud papa while Haley addressed questions was also unusual.

But make no mistake about it, Tomlin’s opening remarks were very contrived.

Maybe he took a page out of Wes Welker’s book from last year when the New England receiver made something like 11 subtle foot reference in light of Jets coach Rex Ryan’s foot fetish viral video?

Tomlin wanted to make it known (believable or not) that he hired the offensive coordinator and not the owner.

He chose subtlety over directness.

“I announce …”
“I thought …”
“… Intangibles that I really value.”
“When I started this process …”
“I talked to a lot of people …”
“I was really impressed …”
“… I have been attracted to in the past.”
“I will always be interested …”

Eight times in the first 131 words out of Tomlin’s mouth was “I”.

You think he was trying to make a point?

But again, what did we expect him to say?

Even if Haley was pushed on Tomlin, it doesn’t really matter now.

What matters for the Steelers is that they find a way for everybody to co-exist, and Tomlin took that first step on Thursday with his words.

Too bad nobody was listening.

* There is no way that anybody can speak intelligently about what kind of affect Haley will have on the Steelers’ offense.

If the organization isn’t sure what the playbook is going to look like right now, how can anybody else pretend that they do?

What we do know about Todd Haley is that he plays to his personnel. And the Steelers current personnel say they throw first and pass second.

* So Haley is a no nonsense type of coach?

OK, and Sean Kugler isn’t? John Mitchell isn’t? Keith Butler isn’t? Mike Tomlin isn’t?

Didn’t Dick LeBeau go after Anthony Smith in Carolina a few years back?

There is fear that out there that Haley and Ben Roethlisberger will get into shouting matches on the sidelines during games.

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. Time will tell.

Roethlisberger isn’t someone who should be worried about. He will be good and Haley will make him better.

Haley’s biggest impact, or who his no-nonsense approach is really going to benefit, are the Steelers young and impressionable wide receivers.

You have three young kids – Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders — who had success early in their careers, and they just might need a good rubberneck or two to keep them in line.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Subtle Tomlin sets record straight

good post but its not gonna sale anyone... what i take out of it is Tomlin has accepted it and moved on ... that is good news... I actually wondered if he was gonna be pissed a bit that he had his toes stepped on ... Good for him he is moving forward...

and yes that means I dont believe in any way what so ever that Tomlin had anything at all to do with firing BA and I know for a fact he had nothing to do with bringing in Haley... Its laughable to even suggest..

Yeah right Tomlin is the one impressed and wanted the guy that has been a Steeler guy for all his life... His dad worked for us what 30 years... lol but again Im glad Tomlin is putting this behind him and moving forward.. ITs really nothing to be ashamed of... every owner or Boss in the business world steps in from time to time to make sure the business is being run the way its suppose to... especailly if that business has always be sucessful... Bottom line Tomlin strayed away from what the rooneys want... they as always gave him the respect to see if it was working... with all our talent the rooneys and the football world I might add feel like we should be pretty much unstoppable and we are in the mid twentys in scoring... Tomlin still wouldnt make the call so Mr.. Rooney let him know its goona be a little different... No big deal lets move on and watch Haley make BA look like a joke...
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

The first thing I noticed was the amount of time's he made hints to his involvement in this process. It was really quite obvious. Good post, Mesa.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,188 Posts

Of course Ron Cook is still grieving for Arians and now contends Tomlin, rather than moving on, is so upset about Arians leaving that Tomlin may leave in protest once his contract is up

I'm guessing Tomlin will have the chance to be here for a long time. I'm just not so sure anymore that he wants to stay.

We're not going to have to wait long to find out.

Steelers.com has reported Tomlin's contract runs through next season with an option for 2013.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209034-87-0.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

"it's thought that Ben and Haley will have shouting matches on the sidelines......." WHERE do they come up with this stuff?? Lets try and stir up as much s*** as possible. These articles get worse and worse.

I never doubted that this was all Tomlin. Of course it was. The only thing Rooney helped push was Arians out the door. Haley seems like someone Tomlin would really value. The "writers" have been pushing to make people think otherwise.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote