Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Sadness should be the overriding emotion by far with Hines leaving

Save me all your talk about how "it's a business" and this and that. I understand that. It was apparent to anyone with a brain that Hines Ward was not a very valuable on-field contributor to the 2011 Steelers and most of his catches were designed, ineffective screen passes and the like to inch him closer to 1,000 catches. On a football level, I don't disagree with the move to let him go, considering our depth at wide receiver.

But for one second, let's stop thinking about how this affects our outlook for 2012 (which it likely does positively.) This is a sad day, because in today's free agency era where so many players jump from team to team, it is special to have a great player like Hines Ward who has been with the same team since day one. These 14 years have allowed us (certainly me) to become attached to #86 because he has played football the way it is meant to be played for more than a decade. Hines reminded us that there is a joy to this game every time he popped up after a first down with that indelible smile on his face. He reminded us every time he took his relatively puny frame and put someone 50 pounds heavier than him squarely on their ass. That unbridled physicality from one of the smallest players on the team always spelled Steeler football to me as I grew up with it.

I became a Steeler fan in 2001 at the age of eleven. Unlike many of you, I have never known a Steeler team without Hines Ward. His big moments of the past decade are inextricably linked with the many memories I have of being a Steeler fan. Forget about this "business" for a moment (again, it is a smart move to let him go), and for just one moment, look back and smile. Remember 2005, when a young Ben Roethlisberger found Hines to put us up big just before the half in Denver, one step from the Super Bowl. Or his game-tying touchdown against the Jets in the divisional round in 2004. Hell, last year he snagged a statement touchdown just before the half against the Packers in the Super Bowl to tell them that the Pittsburgh Steelers weren't going down quietly. How about the game-winner against the Jags in 08? The catch and run to set up our first score in Super Bowl XLIII? My most joyous Steeler moment has to be watching #86 leap a mile high into the end zone after bringing down that heave from El in Super Bowl XL. In a moment so many diva receivers would have used as an excuse to do some pre-orchestrated celebration routine, Hines only display was one of pure joy.

I encourage my Steeler brethren to post their favorite memories of Hines Ward here, because with the news that he will not be back next season, I feel a lot of sadness. He has personified Pittsburgh Steeler smashmouth football for 14 wonderful seasons, been a member of 2 Super Bowl championship teams, gone to a third, and been a key member of 5 teams that went to the AFC championship game. Who else would you want on a key 3rd and 8? There's a lot to be said for a receiver who took one of the most glamorous positions in the game and embraced the least glamorous part of it and made it his own. His smile (and I'm a straight man) has endeared him to us for all of these years, and I for one will miss it come this September. I hope that Hines realizes that this move is not personal whatsoever, and he will be back in Pittsburgh for years to come, maybe even someday as a coach.

There won't be a game in Pittsburgh in the near future where their won't be a few #86 jerseys in the stands. Hines Ward's jersey will take it's place alongside Mean Joe, Franco, Bradshaw, Lambert, Rod Woodson, Lloyd and all the other Steeler greats as one that is always represented on gameday as a nod to the great history that this team has. Hines has always been my favorite Steeler, and it's going to take someone truly special to make that change. I will be wearing the Hines jersey today that I bought in 2004, that I wore during our two Super Bowl victories, that has been (In a strangely inanimate-object type way) my companion for so many Steeler Sundays.

You'll always be my boy, 86. You were a great football player in every sense of the word. You embraced Steeler Nation and we embraced you. You inspired me to write a rambling post on this message board that many people will not read based on its length.

Never forget Hines Ward guys. Guys like him are rare.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Sadness should be the overriding emotion by far with Hines leaving

Very well said. Ward will remain an example of professionalism and dedication for the generations to come.
I hope he stays in the Steelers organization in some capacity, I really do.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

I wish he could stay around another year also but we'll see what happens.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,133 Times in 468 Posts

Hines hasn't been let go YET, there's still time for negotiations but, the writing is on the wall. If he is let go, then that just goes to show every day comes for a favorite and legend. He'll go down as a Steelers legend but he simply doesn't fit in the direction of this offense anymore. I'd hate to see him in another uniform and waste his time. Hines has nothing more to prove.

It will be weird without Hines. I'll be wearing my #86 jersey loud and proud.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Well said. I agree with you - it is a sad day.

I just hope Hines doesn't do a Franco Harris and play his last days with another team
Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

it'll be more sad if we have to lose one of our young receivers at the expense of keeping hines for another year or two. i would even hate to not re-sign jerricho cotchery to a reasonable contract because we wanted to be the good humanitarian and keep hines on the roster.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Well said. I agree with you - it is a sad day.

I just hope Hines doesn't do a Franco Harris and play his last days with another team
It would be very weird to see Hines in another uniform, but he seems deadset on playing next season. Maybe this will make him change his mind. Like was said above me, he has nothing more to prove and at this point it would probably be better for him to go gracefully and realize that when it's it it's it.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
it'll be more sad if we have to lose one of our young receivers at the expense of keeping hines for another year or two. i would even hate to not re-sign jerricho cotchery to a reasonable contract because we wanted to be the good humanitarian and keep hines on the roster.
Unless you're talking about Sweed, Hines isn't the impediment. Money-wise, Mike Wallace would be. Roster space isn't an issue, unless for some bizarre reason they only want to keep 4 WRs.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Well said!
And I feel sad for the fact that even though you point out that it's more than just "business is business", it really boils down to that and that's what hurts more.

But I remember a game way back in 1983 when I was sitting in my local watering hole and watched Terry Bradshaw throw the last pass he'd ever throw in his career (a touchdown [naturally] to Calvin Sweeney) in a game against the Jets. Cliff Stoudt took over and even though we won that game 34-7, we lost the last game that season as well as the Divisional Playoff game to the Raiders.

The Raiders! Ugh!

That last day was both happy and sad.
Happy because even after sitting out an entire season after elbow surgery, Terry came back for the first time that season and threw two TD's and put us up 14-0 just a few seconds into the 2nd quarter as if he never left. But the sad part was the "pop" he said he felt on that throw to Sweeney and after that the last image of him in a Steeler uniform I remember was him standing on the sidelines with an ice pack the size of a basketball wrapped around his elbow thinking, "It's over". "The whole damned thing is over".

That was the last game for him, the last game for Shea Stadium and the last NFL game ever played in NYC. Most importantly it was the official end of a dynasty that defined modern football and the end of an era in football that we'll never see again and that Terry was largely responsible for helping to create.

December 10th, 1983 was the saddest day I've ever experienced as a Steeler fan.

If I could get past the sadness of all that, I can get past losing Hines Ward.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Well said!
And I feel sad for the fact that even though you point out that it's more than just "business is business", it really boils down to that and that's what hurts more.

But I remember a game way back in 1983 when I was sitting in my local watering hole and watched Terry Bradshaw throw the last pass he'd ever throw in his career (a touchdown [naturally] to Calvin Sweeney) in a game against the Jets. Cliff Stoudt took over and even though we won that game 34-7, we lost the last game that season as well as the Divisional Playoff game to the Raiders.

The Raiders! Ugh!

That last day was both happy and sad.
Happy because even after sitting out an entire season after elbow surgery, Terry came back for the first time that season and threw two TD's and put us up 14-0 just a few seconds into the 2nd quarter as if he never left. But the sad part was the "pop" he said he felt on that throw to Sweeney and after that the last image of him in a Steeler uniform I remember was him standing on the sidelines with an ice pack the size of a basketball wrapped around his elbow thinking, "It's over". "The whole damned thing is over".

That was the last game for him, the last game for Shea Stadium and the last NFL game ever played in NYC. Most importantly it was the official end of a dynasty that defined modern football and the end of an era in football that we'll never see again and that Terry was largely responsible for helping to create.

December 10th, 1983 was the saddest day I've ever experienced as a Steeler fan.

If I could get past the sadness of all that, I can get past losing Hines Ward.
Damn partna, you got me to thinking back. I was stuck on an island halfway between the US and Europe when this game happened. I was on a 15 month assignment for the USAF. We had to rely on our buddies to record the games (Beta/VHS) and send them to us after the fact.

Last edited by zcoop; 02-11-2012 at 05:40 PM.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote