Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Bud Selig on Pirates Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator

You have GOT to be kidding me??? This pretty much seals the deal - Selig is a blithering idiot. How the hell can ANYONE claim with a straight face that the Three Stooges (The Nuttings and McClatch-tard) are committed to winning? Where is the evidence? They make between $15 million to over $20 million per year off the team. They take excessive profits from the team and put it in their pockets. The payroll is consistently in the bottom third of the league despite the gold mine that is PNC Park. Hasn't it ever occurred to those penny-pinching idiots that if they put a winner on the field, they would still make an assload of cash from selling out damn near every game? And someone needs to remind Mr. Selig that the reason why Oakland and Minnesota are the lowest revenue teams in the league is because both play in old, outdated and baseball-unfriendly stadiums that do not generate any revenue. They have an excuse for having low payrolls. The Pirates do not - period. The fact Selig will blast Manny Ramirez for not showing up at the All-Star game, but won't criticize the Stooges for their complacency and lack of commitment to winning shows that he's nothing but an apologist and a mouthpiece for ownership, no matter how obviously horrible it is.
its the owners that keep his job not the players. So of course he wont bash the owners
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

and when the stadium was approved wasnt one of the conditions is the pirates ownership would try to make them more competitive or am i mistaken by that. I remeber hearing that
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
from my understanding the price tag for the penguins isnt as significant as what it would be for the pirates. So to sum up the pirates ownership in nfl terms is they work like the bidwells and yorks?
Cuban is going in on the Penguin deal with a few other guys (Danny Marino being one of them). It would be significantly less than buying the Pirates. Nevermind the money, I recall Cuban stating in one of his interviews (Dan Patrick interview) that he would not be willing to deal with two (three counting the Mavs) different franchises. Bascially stating, either the Penguins or Pirates. As we know with Cuban, that decision could easily change.

Eitherway, if McClatchy and the Nuttings are not willing to sell, what can the guy do? A few weeks ago I stated that "My house is not for sale, but if you give me the right price, I will sell". Stan asked McClatchy that exact same question and McClatchy still came back with the "The Pirates are not for sale" response. So we are basically screwed with this ownership group until they feel that they raped the fans and city enough to their liking.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
and when the stadium was approved wasnt one of the conditions is the pirates ownership would try to make them more competitive or am i mistaken by that. I remeber hearing that
McClatchy promised the fans and city of Pittsburgh that if they got a new ball park we would have a better team.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
McClatchy promised the fans and city of Pittsburgh that if they got a new ball park we would have a better team.
And here we are, 8 years later, still waiting...
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
And here we are, 8 years later, still waiting...
Yep. It's a damn shame.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

and another thing. He brought up the twins with there low revenue. I would like to throw in this. I"m originally from south dakota I lived 5 minutes away from minnesota. let me tell you all this the twins are about to get a new stadium approved. But they also have the richest owner in baseball with carl pohlad. so talk all the shit you want about small markets but what can fans do when there ownership doesnt want to spend the money to field a winning team
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #18
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
so talk all the shit you want about small markets but what can fans do when there ownership doesnt want to spend the money to field a winning team
And that's when I normally give this type of response (cutting and pasting from another thread)............

"As I've stated in the past........I don't put full blame on the state of the game, but that does have alot do with the situation we are in right now. I'm more than willing to put blame on the Nuttings, McClatchy and Littlefield. There is blame to go around, no doubt.

But hypothetically, if we finally make the playoffs one of these days and hell...win the WS. After that we will end up like the Marlins. Having to sell off half our team and sit at the bottom for the next 14-15 years while teams like the Yanks and Red Sox complain about not making the World Series with their 100 million + dollar payrolls every year. Eitherway, I still put most of the blame on the state of the game than I do ownership and management.

So do small market teams have a shot? Even though it's a small chance, they sure do. Do they have a chance at winning the World Series or making the playoffs and then staying competative after the fact? Not likely at all.

So MLB throws a small market team a bone every once in a while and then the fans of those small market teams are back to square one watching their team suck for the next fifteen years. In my opinion, that's a horribly managed sport. I'm sure somebody from Boston or NY will disagree."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...?t=577&page=62

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-12-2006 at 10:59 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #19
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
I dont really keep up to much with the pirates. But i did hear at one point in time that mark cuban wanted to buy the pirates. I know the ownership said no. But was was the reasoning. I think Cuban would be great for the pirates
the answer to this question is quite basic and rather easy......

The current owners are making money...ALOT of money.....

If you are raking in damn near 10-15 million clear a year on a business....why would you sell it???
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
the answer to this question is quite basic and rather easy......

The current owners are making money...ALOT of money.....

If you are raking in damn near 10-15 million clear a year on a business....why would you sell it???
what about the negative press they are getting in pittsburgh. This ownership group has to feel that hatred