Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
DIESELMAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Sand.....
Posts: 1,114
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1031
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

Better than last season? Why not? First and third-round draft picks replace Antwaan Randle El. Brett Keisel replaces Kimo von Oelhoffen. The top free agent and the second draft pick replace Chris Hope. That leaves Jerome Bettis and his 22 touchdowns from the last two seasons. The only new back is seventh-round pick Cedric Humes. Who?s he?



Cedric Humes, the Pittsburgh Steelers? seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, is a muscular 233-pound tailback who scored 22 touchdown his senior season at Princess Anne (Va.) High School. He could?ve scored 22 touchdowns the last two seasons, too, had he not suffered some bad breaks ? one to his fibula and one to his forearm.

The departure of Kevin Jones in the 2004 draft meant it was ?H-u-u-u-u-u-m-e-s? time at Tech, but the winner of the Super Iron Hokie award broke his left fibula in spring drills. Humes recovered in time to start the season at fullback, but he struggled most of the year. Humes finally emerged in rivalry week when, as a tailback, he rushed for 95 yards and sealed a win over Virginia with a 37-yard touchdown run.

The next game may have been Humes?s best. He rushed for 110 yards on 27 carries in a 16-10 win at Miami. It sparked promise of a big senior season, but Humes broke his right forearm in the sixth game. Thanks to the bye week, and a Tech engineering class, Humes missed only six quarters of action.

Tech was undefeated at the time of the injury, and Humes was averaging 4.2 yards per rush with five touchdowns. Trainer Mike Goforth searched the internet for a way to get Humes back on the field in a hurry, and his search didn?t go very far. The site of the school?s Department of Materials Science and Engineering told Goforth all he needed to know, and he petitioned the professor of the Biomaterials class for a chance to speak to the students. They came up with a brace that protected the plate and six screws in Humes?s forearm.

Humes returned to help the Hokies beat Boston College, but Tech?s undefeated season ended in the ninth game, a 27-7 loss to Miami in which Humes rushed for only 20 yards on seven carries.

Humes finished his senior season on a high note with three 100-yard games in his final four games. He ran a 4.65 40 at the combine and benched 225 pounds 18 times. He ended up dropping in the draft and the Steelers scooped him up in the seventh round.

CEDRIC HUMES Q&A

Q: It says here you?re a two-time Super Iron Hokie. How much can you lift?

A; I?ve squatted 610 and I?ve benched 360. The squatting definitely has helped my legs. That helped me out a lot and I know it did throughout my college career, so I try to keep my legs strong.

Q: Aren?t you a pile-mover?

A: Yeah, and I want to keep it that way.

Q: What about that forearm pad?

A: It definitely worked. They got a direct fit for my arm and put it together. It was like a brace. I couldn?t feel anything. I put a pad over it. I never had any problems with it.

Q: Did you use it when you hit people?

A: Yeah, I used it to my advantage, definitely. Even my teammates wished they had one on each arm after they saw me using that stuff. But it did help me out. I didn?t have any pain even the first game back. No problems at all.

Q: Wasn?t there a pad already in place for that?

A: Yeah, and it kind of worked, but at the same time I guess they wanted to try something new. They talked to the engineering people and a doctor and they all got together and came up with something new. I hear a lot of people are going to start using it.

Q: How much did your broken leg hurt you?

A: I had to go through a lot. That leg, I wanted to believe it was fully healed, but throughout most of that season it really wasn?t. Toward the end of the season it just came along. I got my mental right and at the end of the season I did really well.

Q: The injuries obviously hurt your draft status. Does it all add up to the Steelers getting a good bargain here?

A: I would say. If I?d have had more time, not gotten injured and played more, I definitely would?ve had better seasons. I hate to be talking big about myself, but yeah I would say they got a steal. I?m definitely happy to be here no matter what round I came in because I like the facility; I like the coaches. I?m blending in well. I?m really happy it worked out the way it did.

Q: Considering your size, is it safe to say those injuries were flukes?

A: I guess you could say that. They were like freak accidents, and definitely the weightlifting both before and after the injuries helped me out. My ankle and arm are back to normal.

Q: Are you surprised by this team?s enthusiasm?

A: Yeah. It?s cool. In the NFL, I didn?t know if guys really do get enthused. Here, it seems like it?s definitely a team and they do that stuff to stay together.

Q: You?re lockering next to Duce. Are you guys getting along?

A: Yeah, we?re hitting it off. He?s showing me around and giving me tips.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Jul 12, 2006
__________________


BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Big D's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: living in the field of dreams
Posts: 3,330
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
Better than last season? Why not? First and third-round draft picks replace Antwaan Randle El. Brett Keisel replaces Kimo von Oelhoffen. The top free agent and the second draft pick replace Chris Hope. That leaves Jerome Bettis and his 22 touchdowns from the last two seasons. The only new back is seventh-round pick Cedric Humes. Who?s he?



Cedric Humes, the Pittsburgh Steelers? seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, is a muscular 233-pound tailback who scored 22 touchdown his senior season at Princess Anne (Va.) High School. He could?ve scored 22 touchdowns the last two seasons, too, had he not suffered some bad breaks ? one to his fibula and one to his forearm.

The departure of Kevin Jones in the 2004 draft meant it was ?H-u-u-u-u-u-m-e-s? time at Tech, but the winner of the Super Iron Hokie award broke his left fibula in spring drills. Humes recovered in time to start the season at fullback, but he struggled most of the year. Humes finally emerged in rivalry week when, as a tailback, he rushed for 95 yards and sealed a win over Virginia with a 37-yard touchdown run.

The next game may have been Humes?s best. He rushed for 110 yards on 27 carries in a 16-10 win at Miami. It sparked promise of a big senior season, but Humes broke his right forearm in the sixth game. Thanks to the bye week, and a Tech engineering class, Humes missed only six quarters of action.

Tech was undefeated at the time of the injury, and Humes was averaging 4.2 yards per rush with five touchdowns. Trainer Mike Goforth searched the internet for a way to get Humes back on the field in a hurry, and his search didn?t go very far. The site of the school?s Department of Materials Science and Engineering told Goforth all he needed to know, and he petitioned the professor of the Biomaterials class for a chance to speak to the students. They came up with a brace that protected the plate and six screws in Humes?s forearm.

Humes returned to help the Hokies beat Boston College, but Tech?s undefeated season ended in the ninth game, a 27-7 loss to Miami in which Humes rushed for only 20 yards on seven carries.

Humes finished his senior season on a high note with three 100-yard games in his final four games. He ran a 4.65 40 at the combine and benched 225 pounds 18 times. He ended up dropping in the draft and the Steelers scooped him up in the seventh round.

CEDRIC HUMES Q&A

Q: It says here you?re a two-time Super Iron Hokie. How much can you lift?

A; I?ve squatted 610 and I?ve benched 360. The squatting definitely has helped my legs. That helped me out a lot and I know it did throughout my college career, so I try to keep my legs strong.

Q: Aren?t you a pile-mover?

A: Yeah, and I want to keep it that way.

Q: What about that forearm pad?

A: It definitely worked. They got a direct fit for my arm and put it together. It was like a brace. I couldn?t feel anything. I put a pad over it. I never had any problems with it.

Q: Did you use it when you hit people?

A: Yeah, I used it to my advantage, definitely. Even my teammates wished they had one on each arm after they saw me using that stuff. But it did help me out. I didn?t have any pain even the first game back. No problems at all.

Q: Wasn?t there a pad already in place for that?

A: Yeah, and it kind of worked, but at the same time I guess they wanted to try something new. They talked to the engineering people and a doctor and they all got together and came up with something new. I hear a lot of people are going to start using it.

Q: How much did your broken leg hurt you?

A: I had to go through a lot. That leg, I wanted to believe it was fully healed, but throughout most of that season it really wasn?t. Toward the end of the season it just came along. I got my mental right and at the end of the season I did really well.

Q: The injuries obviously hurt your draft status. Does it all add up to the Steelers getting a good bargain here?

A: I would say. If I?d have had more time, not gotten injured and played more, I definitely would?ve had better seasons. I hate to be talking big about myself, but yeah I would say they got a steal. I?m definitely happy to be here no matter what round I came in because I like the facility; I like the coaches. I?m blending in well. I?m really happy it worked out the way it did.

Q: Considering your size, is it safe to say those injuries were flukes?

A: I guess you could say that. They were like freak accidents, and definitely the weightlifting both before and after the injuries helped me out. My ankle and arm are back to normal.

Q: Are you surprised by this team?s enthusiasm?

A: Yeah. It?s cool. In the NFL, I didn?t know if guys really do get enthused. Here, it seems like it?s definitely a team and they do that stuff to stay together.

Q: You?re lockering next to Duce. Are you guys getting along?

A: Yeah, we?re hitting it off. He?s showing me around and giving me tips.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Jul 12, 2006
great article diesel. I think we passed on jerome bettis replacement when we passed on Lendale white
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

yeah, without Bettis it'll be hard for the Steelers to even have a winning record. those 300 or so yards are irreplacable.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Big D's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: living in the field of dreams
Posts: 3,330
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
yeah, without Bettis it'll be hard for the Steelers to even have a winning record. those 300 or so yards are irreplacable.
we all know its not the yardage that is hard to replace. Its the short yardage touchdowns and the leadership he had that will be missed
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter
 
SteelerFanInCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,176
Gender: Male
Member Number: 875
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

We should be OK with Duce and Hayes. Players on our squad always seem to step up at the right time to fill vacant holes. No worries on my end.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Jeremy
Banned
 
Jeremy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Great American Southwest
Posts: 3,483
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2579
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

There are plenty of guys who can step into the leadership gap left by Jerome. And someone one will because that's what happens on GREAT teams.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain
 
WWIIOwheelz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 707
Member Number: 1323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

That presence.... the guy everyone wanted to make laugh. He will be SO badly missed for that.

On the football field, the Steelers will be fine. Willy is every bit as much of a threat as he was last season, and he will tire defenses out. A fresh power back coming in in short yardage late in the game? That's almost not fair! :) I believe all will be OK, but the runs like the one against Urlacher were simply amazing, and will be missed badly.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter
 
nicesteel4life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Castle, PA
Posts: 857
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1775
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

Yes Great Post Diesalman
I to agree that we will be fine, I truly believe besides the leadership Verron or Duce can cover the short yardage that was given to the Bus last year. Loved Him, going to miss him, but as a fellow poster stated GREAT TEAMS move ON!!!!
__________________
nicesteel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

I think the answer is that no ONE person will replace Jerome...someone will step in tp fill in as the short yardage Powerback...someone else will step up and fill in as a team leader...and someone else will step up to be an inspiration to the team...What we had in Jerome is virtually irreplacable in one person.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars
 
lilyoder6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Playin' touch football, on marijuana street
Posts: 6,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2568
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
There are plenty of guys who can step into the leadership gap left by Jerome. And someone one will because that's what happens on GREAT teams.
Great teams overcome obstacles, great teams finds a way to win
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts