Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012

Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012
Monday, February 13, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are not counting on Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market on March 13.

Those were two revelations general manager Kevin Colbert offered during an interview today at the Steelers facility on the South Side.

Among others:

He confirmed that no decision has been made on whether Hines Ward will be back with the Steelers in 2012.

The Steelers "have work to do" to get under the mandatory NFL salary cap by March 13, which is the beginning of the new league calender and the start of free agency.

They want to try to keep Mike Wallace "here for the long run." Wallace, their leading receiver last season, will become a restricted free agent March 13.

Some big names could be out before training camp starts. "When you've had success . . . anybody who has been part of our team and you have to release them, it's always difficult."

The Steelers saw this problem with the salary cap coming for awhile and "knew we'd have to make adjustments," Colbert said. He called them "serious issues."

"What our team will be at training camp? I don't know what it will be."

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "I never feel good about an ACL for a year." Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after it was injured in Cleveland Jan. 1.

Even with the availability of Mendenhall in question, Colbert said they do not necessarily have to bring in another running back.

"No more than we are for any other position. Our young backup contributors did a nice job" in 2011.

He mentioned Isaac Redman as a back who has "established himself as an NFL running back." He also noted rookies John Clay and Baron Batch and second-year back Jonathan Dwyer.

Colbert said they likely cannot sign any of their own free agents before March 13 because of their position in the salary cap. It does not mean, however, they will not sign any of them after March 13.

That potentially means that Wallace will become a restricted free agent and another team could sign him. The Steelers, though, will almost surely offer him the high tender that would bring them a first-round draft pick if another team signed him and they did not match it and keep him.
First published on February 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12044...#ixzz1mIiZ7DWV
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776
Default Re: Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012

It hurts us that a lot that Mendenhall will not be ready, but I do not think it changes our plans. I still think they will avoid taking a RB in the draft because after seeing what Redman brought to the team was great and now he can get to see some more extended playing time, all this news means though is that we need to look for or develop a great backup for Redman. Clay needs to show what he has and Batch needs to rebound from that injury too, but in the end I think we should be fine without Mendenhall.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,303 Times in 3,482 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 View Post
It hurts us that a lot that Mendenhall will not be ready, but I do not think it changes our plans. I still think they will avoid taking a RB in the draft because after seeing what Redman brought to the team was great and now he can get to see some more extended playing time, all this news means though is that we need to look for or develop a great backup for Redman. Clay needs to show what he has and Batch needs to rebound from that injury too, but in the end I think we should be fine without Mendenhall.
http://vimeo.com/34266645

looks like batch will be ready to play to me. this video was taken in december
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Redman and hopefully Batch (pans out) become the bulk of the rotation.
I'm assuming we will finally have a "true" FB who can contribute ( as a blocker, receiver....anything would be an improvement).
Hold off on assuming Clay can make a siginificant contribution. He didn't play enough.
Can't believe we'll be looking for a RB in the draft and maybe early.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,303 Times in 3,482 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Redman and hopefully Batch (pans out) become the bulk of the rotation.
I'm assuming we will finally have a "true" FB who can contribute ( as a blocker, receiver....anything would be an improvement).
Hold off on assuming Clay can make a siginificant contribution. He didn't play enough.
Can't believe we'll be looking for a RB in the draft and maybe early.
i wouldn't necessarily be against taking a running back, but if we do, i hope it's in round 3 or later. We NEED offensive line before we think running back. A great line can make average RB's look great. A shitty one can make a great running back look bad (unless it's barry sanders but that's once in a generation talent)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

I had ACL reconstructive surgery in December after a tear in October. Still have swelling on my knee and my range of motion is still junk. It comes as no surprise that he might not play in 2012.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Damn... Mendy... I know he is not a fav around the chat boards...and I dont think he is anything great but I do think he is better then what we think... Give him a year or two under Todd H and we may just be saying holy shit look at this guy all of a sudden... After the ACL though Im just not sure... either way its not good for the Steelers... or Mendy this year unless Batch can come back strong and be the back we hope he can be for us... Damn Mendy thats a bad deal......
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
Damn... Mendy... I know he is not a fav around the chat boards...and I dont think he is anything great but I do think he is better then what we think... Give him a year or two under Todd H and we may just be saying holy shit look at this guy all of a sudden... After the ACL though Im just not sure... either way its not good for the Steelers... or Mendy this year unless Batch can come back strong and be the back we hope he can be for us... Damn Mendy thats a bad deal......
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Hampton too
Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

they're not even sure he'll play at all in 2012...
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote