Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default No happy ending likely in Ward saga

No happy ending likely in Ward saga
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...y-in-ward-saga
Wednesday, 15 February 2012 00:30
Written by Bob Smizik

The Hines Ward saga hovers over the Steelers like a dark cloud, and well it should. The future of one of the greatest wide receiver in team history and one of its most popular players is publicly dangling in a most unseemly fashion.

Itís not a pretty sight to see Ward, the man with the perpetual chip on his shoulder, pleading for continued Steelers life. Heís made it known he will play another season and desperately wants it to be with the Steelers. But if unwanted in Pittsburgh, he'll end his career elsewhere.

The Steelers are considering their options. They understand the emotions of the situation. Ward is the Steelers captain, a team leader by word and example and loved by most fans.

But this is not about emotion. If emotion ruled the Steelers, they would not be the most successful franchise in the NFL.

Itís this simple: Can Ward make more contributions next season than a potentially younger replacement?

To anyone who watched the team with some frequency this season the answer, clearly, is no.

The coaching staff lost confidence in Ward. He rarely played in the latter stages of the season. He was the last wide receiver in the rotation. If he canít help the team at age 35, how is he going to help it at 36?

Wardís game-by-game totals tell the story of what he no longer can do. He did not have a 100-yard game last season. His biggest yardage game was the opener when he caught five passes for 67 yards.

In his final 10 games, he caught 26 passes for 191 yards, and that figure was inflated by nine catches in the final two games as the team repeatedly threw him short passes to get his career total to 1,000.

For the season, he caught 46 passes for 381 yards, both the lowest totals since his rookie year of 1998. His yardage totals the past three seasons have dropped from 1,167 to 755 to 381.

Wouldnít it be great is Ward woke up tomorrow and decided he didnít want to play anymore. Then the Steelers could tie a neat bow around his fabulous career and send him off in the grandest style.

But that famous chip is weighing heavily on Wardís shoulder these days. Heís got one more thing to prove. Itís the nature of the man. Itís why heís been so great.

I saw Franco Harris try to recapture the glory with Seattle after he left the Steelers in a contract dispute. It was ugly. (It was not only ugly it was horrible. - mesa)

I hope the same fate does not await Ward. Iím afraid it does.

(I have to agree with this. I don't think this story will end happily in the short term. In the long term I expect all will be well when Hines enters the Hall of Fame as a Steeler. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: No happy ending likely in Ward saga

i think Hines would be a solid backup, playing sparsely, here or somewhere else.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
VA_steeelrs
Water Boy

Member Number: 21670

The stats from last season does not tell the whole story. If the balls are not thrown to Ward, he can't catch. I think for hm to leave Steelers like this, it does not set a positive tone for the rest of the players.
VA_steeelrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

It's never easy seeing a player with a tenure as Hines leave the team. But, it's a business and the Steelers are in the business of winning football games. The Steelers owe it to Ward to have a sit down and explain whatever reason they would have of not retaining him. We need to remember that a third or fourth receiver is usually a special teams guy also (something Ward isn't) and I would like to see the spot go to a younger guy.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

I think part of the problem is money and no I don't just mean because of the salary cap. Part of it is because we have a couple of guys who we were probable going to cut mendenhall and Hampton and now we can't because they are injuried and we would have to come to a injury settlement with them and it just isn't worth it. Either we resign wallace and ward goes. Or someone else takes wallace from us and then we bring hines back. I don't see us bring both back. I hate to see it but there is only so much loot avalible.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I'll wait for the official report

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

I thought the happy endings were in the jets locker room with Favre's gals?

someone else takes wallace and we bring back ward? WARD is NOT Wallace, Brown is Ward and than some. If someone signs Wallace we need a different type of WR, and its not named Ward.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Would hate to see him go but if he is not willing to work as the number 4 guy for vet minimum and do special teams work like all the #4 guys do then he should go. He has played his ass off for the team and love him to death its heart wrenching to see players get old but it happens.

Its business folks just business.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Its not if he is willing to do ST work, I do not think he can. That speed left him a bit ago, lol.

I think he has value as a back up clutch sort of guy, but definately not in the bubble, LOL
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,416 Posts

if he goes... i know we hate to see it but he'll be forgotten week 5 when brown is blazin down the field..
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote