Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
cjdawg
Water Boy

Member Number: 23871
Default Future for the Steelers

Ok so let me first say I am not here for smack talk or arguing. Yes I am a Browns fan but just here for some talk.

It has been made known that you guys are going back to more of a running game. Do you all agree with that? I am a little surprised to hear this considering the passing game is what has been winning games for you guys. With Ben extending every play and your two very speedy receivers, and sorry but your running game is a little less than impressive. I am very surprised to see Arians get let go, it surely seemed that him and Ben had a perfect relationship.

Do you really think they will go torwards a more of a power run game, I just think this would be a horrible mistake for the team that you guys currently have.

My other question is, who calls the shots during draft day? One thing for sure is that when BC was head coach you guys drafter great and always had studs waiting in the wings, or at least it sure seems that way. However the last couple of years it seems that you have missed on the draft, or am I just not seeing the whole picture with your young guys.

Again I am not here to talk smack but I actually do see major changes starting to happen with your Steelers, I don't see the young studs waiting for their shot and I also can't believe that your offense would go completely away from their strength.

Is Mendenhall going to be your guy if you do go back to a primarily running team?

Anyway thanks in advance for not attacking and just talking football.

As for my Browns, well let me say that I have been a fan for 31 years, started becoming a fan when I was just 7 years old and have been a die hard ever since and will never leave these guys.

I know we have been a joke to most teams in the NFL and trust me we as fans are desperately wanting to get back to real football like we had before the team was stolen from us. Those were the fun days of watching the Steelers/Browns games. Now it just seems to be another game that we have little to no chance of winning.

Although its not visible yet I do see us starting to make good decisions and starting to add key pieces but we are still years away from being respectable in this league.

Here is to a safe off season with no trouble and hopefully a competitive 2012 season!!!!!
cjdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,962 Times in 2,107 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Future for the Steelers

Welcome to SF, cjdawg!

I don't foresee us going for a run-heavy offense, but more of a 50/50 balanced offense. We have talent at the Wide Receiver position, and the running back position, so it should be spread out evenly. I think it would be a mistake to go run-heavy considering our two-1,000 yard receivers this year, and our leading runner (Mendenhall) didn't break that 1,000 mark at all.

As for the running game looking forward: Isaac Redman.

Mendenhall is likely going to start the season on the physically unable to preform list, and he'll probably end the season on IR. I just don't see him playing next year. Redman has stepped up when called on, and he ran for 100+ yards in the playoffs this year against Denver, which is something Mendenhall rarely accomplished the length of the season. Plus, Baron Batch is going to be in action, and likely backing up Redman. We should be set at that position.

I'd like to head back to the pass offense and remind you of Mike Wallace's restricted free-agency this off-season. If he happens to leave town this offseason, a run-heavy offense may be a choice forced upon us.

Draft:

In the latest draft we picked up Cameron Heyward in round one, DT out of Ohio State. I think your probably acquainted with him

He's shown lot's of promise, and will likely see a starting role next season. We also picked up Marcus Gilbert in round 2 of that draft, and Curtis Brown in the third. Both of which serve as starters on the team (Gilbet OT, Brown CB). As for 2010's draft, we picked up Pouncey, 2x Pro-Bowl center. I'd say that worked well

Thanks for bringing your questions and discussion here. Welcome to SF, and if you have any question's at all, don't hesitate to ask

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,252 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:

As for my Browns, well let me say that I have been a fan for 31 years
At least you got a little break from the despair as the browns turned into ratbirds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

No. We won't be going heavy run. maybe a little more balance, but not power running game.

As far as the draft, I don't see where we've missed that much lately. Remember we generally pick after pick # 20. And usually late 20's or 30's. We've hit guys like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace in the 6th and 3rd rounds in the last 3 years. Too early to tell if Hood or Hayward will be as good as Keisel or Smith, but there is evidence that both will be very good players and are ahead of those guys at this point in their career. #1 pick from 2 years ago, Pouncey was a rookie stud. We grabbed a starting RT in the 2nd last year. Woodley, an all-pro caliber OLB in the 2nd 4 years ago. Sure, there are the Limas Sweeds, but every team has some busts.

Some of our new secondary guys are showing promise as well. Many of these guys you just don't get a chance to see on the field until year 3 , because they are usually behind playoff caliber talent. It's much easier to go to a team like the Browns who are always rebuilding and step into the starting lineup and have impact right away.

The Steeler Way is to draft the BPA, let him learn under a veteran and then get his chance to shine a couple of years in. I think a lot of teams get credit for drafting well, when it's really more about what you do with the talent after it comes to you. You go out, get someone that shows some skill and develop it and scheme it to help you win. The Steelers do as good a job as anyone in the league at this.

Long and short of it is, we'll be fine. We have been for a long time now. Not only are the Steelers always in the thick of things, they are almost never really bad in recent history. In my lifetime, 42 years, they've only had 7 losing seasons. And never been worse than 5-11. Some teams make a career of going 4-12 and the Steelers haven't been that bad ever in my lifetime.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,747 Times in 4,290 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I see us going to a more balanced offense as well. I don't think we'll be limiting Ben and the passing game, but I think the way we use our running game has been a problem for the offense.

I definitely see the Steelers/Browns rivalry coming back.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

I personally don't want to go back to a run heavy game, but like everyone else said, a more balanced game. At least enough that we don't have to go 5 wide on 3rd and 2.

But I have a question for you. What do you want the Browns to do in the draft? I've heard Browns fans say many different things, from RGIII to Blackmon to Richardson. Which do you think and prefer they get?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

"...but like everyone else said, a more balanced game...."
Totally agree, except smash-mouth run is the new Steelers code, err I hope.
Browns? it's gonna even more physical than ever against them, as it probably wiil be.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

The days of 50/50 are over, at least so long as Roger Goodell is ruining... oops! I mean running this league. And also so long as Ben is our quarterback. Maybe if we have to coddle a rookie QB again for a full season, but then Cam Newton might be a glimpse of the future there as well.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

We don't know "for sure" if we're going back to a more heavy running game at this point. We'll do whatever Haley sees fit, and if he sees more potential in upping the passing game even more, thats what we're going to do.
It will likely be more balanced, but its just too early to tell.....personnel, fullback possibilities, injuries will all play into it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
JPPT1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5361
My Mood: Hungover

As long as Goodell is in charge. There is no such thing as 50/50!