Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does

Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does
Thursday, 16 February 2012 00:15
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...he-way-he-does

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger opened up on a multitude of significant topics in an interview with Mike Prisuta on the ``WDVE Morning Show,'' which aired yesterday.

Roethlisberger was more candid that usual in discussing:

* His meeting with owner Dan Rooney
* His thoughts on new offensive coordinator Todd Haley
* Getting yelled at
* The rush he gets from playing quarterback the way he does
* His feelings on whether Hines Ward will return to the Steelers next season.
* The importance of the passing game
Most notably Roethlisberger told Prisuta on Tuesday, the day of the interview, that he’d yet to meet with Haley. This is, to say the least, highly unusual since Haley had been on the job for seven days.

In a normal situation, a new assistant coach would reach out to his star pupil. That is particularly true in this case because Roethlisberger did not hide the fact he was unhappy with the firing of Bruce Arians, Haley’s predecessor. It might be expected that Haley would want to begin the process of forming a relationship as soon as possible.

That he hasn’t might mean nothing or it might mean the Steelers are trying to let Roethlisberger know, beyond doubt, who is the boss.

Concerning Haley’s demanding style, Roethlisberger said, ``Well, I definitely heard a lot of things. He does have a reputation that precedes him but I’m not going to jump to any conclusions until I have a chance to sit down with him and talk with him and see how things play out.’’

Concerning Haley’s well-known habit of angrily getting in the face of players, Roethlisberger said, ``At the quarterback position, it’s not one where you want to a lot of screaming because he’s kind of your leader and a guy that has to be clear-minded. It’s not fun to be yelled at. I don’t think anyone likes it

``But to me, you get just as much, if not more, out of me whether I screw up or do good. Just talk to me or so we can work through my reasoning instead of getting yelled at.’’

Roethlisberger played it right down the middle in talking about Ward, the much-decorated wide receiver who’s future with the team is in jeopardy. He said, ``We’ll kind of see how it plays out these next months and when ever they make these decisions.’’

It was a politically correct answer, but not what might be expected from a quarterback talking about a long-time teammate. But Roethlisberger and Ward did not share a great relationship.

How this impacts on Roethlisberger’s relationship with Haley, with the organization and the future success of the Steelers remains to be determined. It could be highly significant or not at all important.

This is the audio of the interview
. http://www.dve.com/player/?station=W...l&mid=21821992

This is a transcript of the interview, courtesy of SteelersDepot.com

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02...omment-page-1/
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does

it really dont matter to be honest with you... BEN is under contract til something like 2016 and may extend again this year.. He can either deal with it or ruin his season crying about it... To me the media is pushing for this thing to blow up to have something to write about but in any case I think it will be fine... There is one thing for sure BEN dont like being yelled at but you can bet your ass Haley aint gonna change either
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,827 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does

The 70s Dynasty Steelers won with a mixed bag of relationships - some were positive, some were negative, and some were non-existent.

In some cases at a work place - it helps to get along with your co-workers. In other places - it hinders progress and productivity (which a lot of fans would argue that Ben's friendship with Arians was getting in the way)

Regardless of Bruce Arians being gone - Ben is molded from the Terry Bradshaws than the Bradys - he will speak his mind more often than just drinking the team kool-aid

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

``But to me, you get just as much, if not more, out of me whether I screw up or do good. Just talk to me or so we can work through my reasoning instead of getting yelled at.’’

I'm with Ben on this one.

I have never understood why some people feel it's necessary to scream at other people to make whatever point they're trying to make or to get someone to do something. I get angry sometimes just like everyone else, but I've never felt the need to scream at people. I've always believed that screamers are basically insecure people who feel that unless they demonstrate some sort of aggressive behavior, that people won't take them seriously.

I've been in positions of authority in various jobs over the years and I even ran my own business for about fifteen years and I've always gotten more out of people by explaining to them what I was trying to accomplish and how they can help to do that.
That doesn't mean that I've never raised my voice or expressed frustration in that voice, but it was always just a quick outburst followed by a discussion where I explained myself and listened to what others had to say. In the end, things generally work out very well because everyone understands what has to be done and why. More importantly, they understand that they have a role in things and that the work they do is valuable.

I've always believed that empowering people yields far better results than screaming at them ever could.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

I'm with Ben on this one.

I have never understood why some people feel it's necessary to scream at other people to make whatever point they're trying to make or to get someone to do something. I get angry sometimes just like everyone else, but I've never felt the need to scream at people. I've always believed that screamers are basically insecure people who feel that unless they demonstrate some sort of aggressive behavior, that people won't take them seriously.

I've been in positions of authority in various jobs over the years and I even ran my own business for about fifteen years and I've always gotten more out of people by explaining to them what I was trying to accomplish and how they can help to do that.
That doesn't mean that I've never raised my voice or expressed frustration in that voice, but it was always just a quick outburst followed by a discussion where I explained myself and listened to what others had to say. In the end, things generally work out very well because everyone understands what has to be done and why. More importantly, they understand that they have a role in things and that the work they do is valuable.

I've always believed that empowering people yields far better results than screaming at them ever could.
Of course you're with Ben on this one. You always are. Ben needs someone to come in and explain things to him. He needed put in his place 6 years ago. Ben is a spoiled little child refusing to grow up, and if he spends the rest of his career getting yelled at, it's late in coming. He is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not even a contributing member of the team, and hasn't been for 5 years. Time to grow up, and since he doesn't have the brains or desire to do so on his own, it will be forced on him.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Of course you're with Ben on this one. You always are. Ben needs someone to come in and explain things to him. He needed put in his place 6 years ago. Ben is a spoiled little child refusing to grow up, and if he spends the rest of his career getting yelled at, it's late in coming. He is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not even a contributing member of the team, and hasn't been for 5 years. Time to grow up, and since he doesn't have the brains or desire to do so on his own, it will be forced on him.

Seriously?
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,011 Times in 3,041 Posts

ben doesnt contribute?

wow.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,558 Times in 818 Posts
My Mood: Busy

So, Ben doesn't like to get yelled at.....tough....grow up.....that's what most coaches do to players who under-perform or repeat mistakes (ie. extending a play so long that your ankle gets severely injured-see the Browns game).

He's not used to it because of his buddy-buddy relationship with BA.

Lat time I checked, youth football coaches sometimes "yell" at their players.

They can take it, learn from it, then shrug it off to improve.

Ben can too.
FrancoLambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,799 Times in 844 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Ben doesn't contribute? Hmmm.... Seems like that perfect pass to Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone in Super Bowl 43 against the Cardinals was a pretty nice contribution to the team. You know honestly the guy doesn't contribute to the team, he sacrifices himself and his body for it. Ben's one of the toughest players in the NFL and he proves it every season. The guy plays with injuries that would have sissies like Brady sitting out games. He finds ways to win games despite getting blasted and sacked all the time because our offensive line is often makeshift due to injuries. This is a guy who often sticks up for his offensive line even though their blocking is mediocre and he gets put on his back for the majority of games. This is a guy who was out on the field playing with a high ankle sprain because he didn't want to disappoint his teammates. He's not selfish and I don't believe he acts spoiled at all. He's made dumb decisions in the past but that's the past this is the present.

Saying that Ben is selfish and doesn't contribute is just preposterous.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Ben doesn't contribute? Hmmm.... Seems like that perfect pass to Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone in Super Bowl 43 against the Cardinals was a pretty nice contribution to the team. You know honestly the guy doesn't contribute to the team, he sacrifices himself and his body for it. Ben's one of the toughest players in the NFL and he proves it every season. The guy plays with injuries that would have sissies like Brady sitting out games. He finds ways to win games despite getting blasted and sacked all the time because our offensive line is often makeshift due to injuries. This is a guy who often sticks up for his offensive line even though their blocking is mediocre and he gets put on his back for the majority of games. This is a guy who was out on the field playing with a high ankle sprain because he didn't want to disappoint his teammates. He's not selfish and I don't believe he acts spoiled at all. He's made dumb decisions in the past but that's the past this is the present.

Saying that Ben is selfish and doesn't contribute is just preposterous.
Ben got an email today telling him to give back his 2 SB rings because it really wasnt him that contributed to those games........

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote