Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rooney addresses criticism

Rooney addresses criticism

By Rob Rossi
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 16, 2012

Art Rooney II, the son and grandson of Pro Football Hall of Fame NFL owners, reserves the right to continue his family tradition of running the Steelers with a "hands-on" approach. That does not mean he handpicked head coach Mike Tomlin's new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley.

"I can`t say what people on the outside think, but (Tomlin) picks his staff,"
Rooney told the Tribune-Review.

Fans not willing to buy those words should remember which two men spoke at the news conference at which Haley was introduced last week, Rooney said. Those men: Tomlin and Haley.

"Mike picks his staff, like I said, so he should talk about it in public," Rooney said in a wide-ranging interview. "The head coach should do the talking in that situation, not the owner."

Rare public criticism has come the Steelers` way since the team`s surprising loss at Denver in the first round of the AFC playoffs last month. Many callers to talk radio shows have questioned Rooney`s role in the brief retirement of former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, the subsequent courtship and hiring of Haley, and Rooney's public critique of franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger, who still had not met with Haley days after the hiring, requested a one-on-one with Rooney, who did not say if that meeting had occurred. However, Rooney acknowledged chatting with an unnamed player in his office at the team`s South Side facility as Tomlin introduced Haley at that news conference.

Keeping an open door for players is one of the many aspects of Dan Rooney`s ownership philosophy that Art Rooney II intended to maintain as part of his style when he took over day-to-day operations from his father in 2009. The younger Rooney has been Steelers president since 2003.

"My father and I always felt like we`re going to be hands-on, involved in the important decisions that are made, and we`ve felt like that for some time," Rooney said. "I think the fans appreciate the fact that the Rooneys are present and involved and have a history of that. Let`s put it this way: When I hear from fans I never get the complaint, ‘Hey, you`re too involved.` "
Rooney touched on other topics during his interview with the Trib:

>> On speaking publicly about team matters: "In certain cases, it`s a tough call. I try to be judicious in how often I comment on things because there`s only a limited amount of time that fans expect the owner to be making comments. I don`t have a weekly radio show. But I think it`s a judgment call. In this current day and age, there is more demand for it, more of an appetite for it than in the past, but I still try to pick my spots. Mike introducing Todd is a good example of a spot when I didn`t need to talk. That was Mike`s hire."

>> On his specific role with the Steelers: "There are roles I don`t want to play. I don`t want to call plays. I don`t want to tell coaches what the game plan should be every week. I don`t want to tell (general manager Kevin Colbert) who to draft in the fifth round. There is a line you have to draw as an owner between providing knowledgeable input and that place where you can become a distraction."

>> On the Steelers` ownership structure and the nine-person board of directors, four of whom are not members of the Rooney family: "That`s been a significant change, and as far as I`m concerned one for the positive because it sets us up for the future. They`re really invested in our organization. They weren`t people expecting to make a lot of changes, they believed in what we are doing.

"(The board meetings are) an opportunity for some of the new owners to participate in the overall direction, whether that`s expanding Heinz Field or other investments. On the football side, it`s more of an information kind of situation and me answering questions. It`s a good group. They are interested, they create enthusiasm, and as far as I`m concerned they`ve brought a lot to the table.

"We have quarterly meetings, in person four times a year. If something comes up, we update in between. One is an owners meeting."

Rob Rossi can be reached at rrossi@tribweb.com or 412-380-5635.

Read more: Rooney addresses criticism - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1mb7zhYig
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Rooney addresses criticism

On the defensive just a tad? lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Well thats more then what i would have said if I owned a Billion dollar team that was the best in the history of the league with more superbowls then anyone in history... I would simply say do you know of any team that has done it better and has more superbowls than us ??? No ??? okay then kiss my ****ing ass... next question please
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

The league was formed well before the Super Bowl era.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

The rooney's have a reputation of being great. I'm sure they are well aware of their public persona. Mr Rooney has been taking some heat, the smart thing to do is go out there and say something to the public. A little PR is something all companies do. The last thing they want is to be perceived like Jerry Jones.

It also makes you realize that the owners do care about the fans opinions. I think the low ratings Arians had by fans might have more to do with his departure then we thought.

Most of all I think this speaks volumes of how much the leadership role has changed in Pittsburgh. Under Cowher and Noll there was no question who ran the team.... it was the coaches team - period. I think Cowher fit in with the hierarchy here in Pittsburgh well... Bill called the shots with his staff and no one doubted that..... it seems like Tomlin is a little out of place. No one thinks this is Mike Tomlin's team. I think you can blame the Rooney's for that. From day one his staff was picked for him. I think Haley might actually be the first "true" Tomlin hire.

Put your self in Tomlin's shoes. Your boss fires your employee. Id' call that a shot across your own bow. Keep in mind...it was Rooney who gave Arians the job in the first place. Maybe Mr. Rooney saw that it wasn't working..... he fired the very guy he put in place to be our OC...then told Tomlin to hire his own guy. If my boss fires one of my employee's...I see that as a message to me...he doesn't think highly enough of me that I'd take care of the problem my self. IMO this is a message to Tomlin... You hire your own OC.... it's now your job...you are 100% accountable... get it done or you are next. How else can you see if from Mike Tomlin's perspective? I mean seriously.. .your boss just fired the guy you liked and wanted back to run your offense? What does that say to you?

Unless they hired him and said... you just do the busy work... we'll hire and fire your staff. The coordinators call the plays.... and your boss hires and fires your assistants. I'm starting to wonder what it is Mike Tomlin does.... press conferences? Either way I don't think it's a pat on the back to Mike Tomlin.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

the only people who think art rooney is like jerry jones are idiots and anybody who thinks they are currently being run any differently that they have been for the past 30 years are ignorant as well, regurgitating the same bullshit they are spoonfed by the local media and mike florio.

they are the same people who think arians is an offensive genius. they are the same people who (like bruce) think that when art rooney said they needed to run the ball more, didnt really mean to run the ball more.

the same people who think art wasnt serious when he said we need to get rookies and young players involved sooner (otherwise we might see the likes of pouncey and brown sitting on the bench for 2-3 years while they learn the genius system.

arians was let go because he underperformed relative to the talent he was given. he was given a filet mignon to cook and served up a beaten and pounded, burnt, salty chicken fried steak.

tomlin said exactly what i woulda expected him to say after the season when he gave the presser saying he anticipated coaches to return. he knew arians wasnt under contract.

the media is pissed cause they dont really like tomlin. he makes their job difficult by never offering up anything worthy of being in print.

they absolutely love arians because he makes it easy for their lazy asses, and gives them juicy print worthy nuggets all the time.

that is gone and now they have to work for a story, and as they have proven, they fail miserably.

but still, i guess people are gullible and eat this shit up. myself along with other smart fans, knew arians was on a short leash and would have to improve to earn a new contract, just like tomlin knows he dont sign the checks.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

The Rooney family should be involved in the hirings of everyone on the staff on some level. The Rooney family is the reason the Steelers have retained older values of loyalty and building from the draft into the modern era of free agency and annual coaching changes. The Steelers organization would be the Bengals organization if it was owned by the Browns.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The league was formed well before the Super Bowl era.

RIght but you can pretty much throw that stuff out the window.. Superbowl Era is all that matters and all that ever had any structure... either way the Rooneys have done it better than anyone else ever dreamed of doing it and we have more championships then anyone else... I have to wonder if some of you are even fans of the steelers sometimes.. goodlord
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i love the way he ended his press conference :

question: "Has Haley and Roethlisberger met yet?"

answer: 'laughs' and says "its getting to the point when anyone meets with anyone around here, there has to be a press conference called....."
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Most of all I think this speaks volumes of how much the leadership role has changed in Pittsburgh. Under Cowher and Noll there was no question who ran the team.... it was the coaches team - period.
Until Dan stepped in and forced Noll to replace a number of his assistant coaches back in the late 1980s, anyway.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote