Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Did anyone hear Schefter talking about Wallace today?

Pretty scary. I forget who was on the panel with him, but it was on Sportscenter and he was outlining the ways that a team like the Bengals or Ravens (the two he mentioned, and I think he might've thrown the Niners in there too) could offer him a ton of money to lure him out of Pittsburgh. Suffice to say it ruined my morning.

Bottom line is, we need to do everything we can to lock up Mike for the long-term, even if it means franchising him. As currently constituted, we have a trio of young receivers that is second only to the Giants, and they might be about to lose Manningham. If we lose Wallace, his second-half slide last year not withstanding, we're cut down to two and Sanders is a question mark with his injuries. If we have all three, we're in very good shape for Ben to air it out deep to #17 and that will open it up for Sanders n Brown to run wild underneath.

I don't care how they do it, but this has to be the number one priority right now. We'd be pretty crazy to let a home run threat like that walk, and even crazier if we let him go to a division rival. If that is the case, it would be scary for him to paired with Green and Simpson, but I'd much rather that over him going to Baltimore (which I don't think would happen - I can't think of one Steeler who is a former Raven, or vice versa. I think there is truly genuine dislike between the two teams that carries over to free agency decisions.)

At any rate, lock him up, even if it means we have to cut in other places.

Not least of all because I told my girlfriend that spending $100 at Heinz on a Wallace jersey for her was a good long-term investment. She's going to be pissed at me if that jersey becomes obsolete after two months.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Did anyone hear Schefter talking about Wallace today?

Rod Woodson really stands out to me as an all-time great Steeler who went to the Ravens. It bothers me just thinking about it but at least he got a ring.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Forgot about Woodson - he was slightly before my time. Warrants mentioning though that he defected in 1998 which - correct me if I'm wrong - is before this rivalry heated up since the Ravens were still such a new franchise. Recently we haven't seen it. Says something about the depth of the hatred in this rivalary, because you see guys going from the Giants to the Redskins, the Packers to the Vikings, etc. all the time.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

The Steelers will not throw money at Wallace. If other teams want to turn it lose I have no ill wills toward him, get the best deal you can. The Steelers on the other hand do not have the cap room to make this a bidding war. We can only hope they put a fair deal out to him and him and his agent agree. We have another receiver coming up next year and if he has another year like last he will expect the same kind of deal Wallace will likely get. Hopefully the front office can get this cap down to where we can sign some of the current players and the new drafted Steeleers.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

For 2 months I have been saying this.

But its not about throwing money at him, its structuring it the right way. He can have am avg 6-7 year deal at 42mill, front loading at 20million and we are screwed.

A 1 year tender at 2.47, Wallace will have multiple offers and you guys will paint Wallace as greedy? They couldve locked him up last year instead the Rooneys are worried about interview defending themselves about not making Tomlins call on the OC Who cares. Cut the dam players we need to cut and sign the ones we need.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

How did our Chit get so jacked up in the first place? Why are we behind the eight ball? I hope we get this Chit right going forward.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Robbing Peter to Pay paul. Eventually it catches up to you. Dishing out some stupid contracts, Colon, Kemo, those certainly didn't help.

But the biggest reason is, LOYALTY to players with dimenished skills. Smith the past 2 years, Ward, thats 13million that couldve been used elsewhere.
Smith's deal this year, total waste especially when Ziggy did so well last year.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,779 Times in 889 Posts

Honestly, if the Bengals want to offer Wallace a ton of cash AND give upa 1st round pick to us.....go ahead.

I will goto camp with Brown, Sanders, Desean Jackson, Early Doucet and Miller. I bet Jackson would cost the same if not less than Wallace.....and we would get a 1st round pick too.

Why would teams go after a restricted free agent when there are unrestricted guys like Jackson, vincent Jackson, Dewayne Bowe, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Stevie Johnson on the market??
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #9
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Ravens probably don't have the room for a front loaded contract for Wallace. So they are out. But the Patriots, Bengals, 49ers and God knows who else certainly could.

We won't be able to afford Desean Jackson either. There are a lot of teams out there with like 40-65 million under the cap. There is going to be some crazy money spent on those WRs this year.

Will other teams consider Wallace worth all that money considering his fall off in production especially in post season play?
2011 3 rec for 26 yards against Denver. He should have ruled in that game.
2010 4 rec for 26 yards against BAL and the Jets, before 9 for 89 in Superbowl (9.9 ypc is low)
The point being he can be shut down or held in check if a team decides to commit to it.

Losing Wallace may work out better in the long run. They could end up with a pro bowl nose tackle and Guard in the 1st round or grab WR Michael Floyd. And they better stock up and draft another WR like a Brian Quick mid round along with a mid range signing like Early Ducet. This is a good year in the draft for WRs.

Lots of other WR free agents out there.Will a team give up a #1 pick when they don't have to.

Would you rather have Mike Wallace or Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR?

Many many questions. We will know soon enough. I say unless he gets a new contract by the Steelers he will be gone.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Sean95m
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18937

Like Tomlin has said and I agree because he becomes a ghost in games we need him. One trick pony! Teams have figured him out. Also he wont catch the tough pass over the middle like Brown did all season. Brown wants the ball no matter what. We might be better off with a second first rounder because we are 4 deep at WR.
Sean95m is offline   Reply With Quote