Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Roethlisberger was told he was close to dying

Roethlisberger was told he was close to dying

BRISTOL, Conn. - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday night that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he said in Los Angeles where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

Roethlisberger was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC championship game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

Roethlisberger didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

"I have no concerns about Ben," Cowher said backstage. "He's going to have to get hit a couple times to see if he's all the way back. Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Roethlisberger was told he was close to dying

God he sounds focused.....looks good.....I like where his head is at...

I smell a HUGE year!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Wow...scary how close it really was! Sounds like he's getting himself together and staying on track mentally and physically. Great news!
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
BengalBrian
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 428

He forgot his helmet??? I dont buy that.. Woulda been better for him to just appologize for it...

**** the Steelers!
BengalBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBrian
He forgot his helmet??? I dont buy that.. Woulda been better for him to just appologize for it...
Dear Troll

Since you have stated in another post that you do not like Ben's looks (presumably as compared to the Carson Palmer poster you have on your bedroom wall) and do not find him to be credible, we have a pretty clear view you are not a big fan of Ben.

Presumably you are aware that I am not surprised.

Commenting on the games is one thing but trolling on other team boards for the purpose of making cute remarks about opposing teams' players is pretty low.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
BengalBrian
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Dear Troll

Since you have stated in another post that you do not like Ben's looks (presumably as compared to the Carson Palmer poster you have on your bedroom wall) and do not find him to be credible, we have a pretty clear view you are not a big fan of Ben.

Presumably you are aware that I am not surprised.

Commenting on the games is one thing but trolling on other team boards for the purpose of making cute remarks about opposing teams' players is pretty low.
Give me a break dude.. Just because you know I am right you get pissed at my comment... Ben didnt forget it.. Dont go jumpin my case because you cant handle what is more than likely the truth.. I am not trolling.. I have said the same thing on a couple other message boards... It's my opinion and I am entitled to it... Ben has in the past said he WONT wear a helmet.. But then he wrecks and all of a sudden he forgot it?? Does he think saying that is going to make things better anyway???

I am done in this thread now since I am upsetting poor Atlanta Dan

**** the Steelers!
BengalBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I have to agree with BengalBrian here. Ben should have just come out and told the truth here rather than try to spin it. An outright apology and admission of his arrogance would have made him look much better. Saying that "he forgot it" when we all know his history on wearing a helmet doesn't help his credibility, IMO.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 07-13-2006 at 09:19 AM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
I have to agree with BengalBrian here. Ben should have just come out and told the truth here rather than try to spin it. An outright apology and admission of his arrogance would have made him look much better. Saying that "he forgot it" when we all know his history on wearing a helmet doesn't help his credibility, IMO.
It's sad to say i'm agreeing with the bengal fan as well. I've been a sport bike rider for the past 8 years and I too chose not to wear my helmet. But as brian mentioned he has stated in public he doesnt wear a helmet. No need to retract now
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBrian
Give me a break dude.. Just because you know I am right you get pissed at my comment... Ben didnt forget it.. Dont go jumpin my case because you cant handle what is more than likely the truth.. I am not trolling.. I have said the same thing on a couple other message boards... It's my opinion and I am entitled to it... Ben has in the past said he WONT wear a helmet.. But then he wrecks and all of a sudden he forgot it?? Does he think saying that is going to make things better anyway???

I am done in this thread now since I am upsetting poor Atlanta Dan
One of the many great features on this board is the ignore function if you do not want to read posts by someone. I will be using it with regard to BengalBrian
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Can we have peace on the forum for one day???
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote