Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Creative team with WR needs could pry Wallace away from Steelers

Creative team with WR needs could pry Wallace away from Steelers
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-from-steelers
By Pat Kirwan | NFL Insider

The NFL is on the verge of free agency and clubs are about to put franchise tags on players they most want to retain. In past years, under the old CBA, six to 10 players would receive the franchise tag. This year the tagging process runs from Feb. 20 to March 5 and I expect double the usual number of players tagged because the price of the franchise tags has gone down significantly. But while the franchise tag will keep more quality veterans with four or more years of service off the market, there might be a few opportunities in a relatively untapped pool of players.

Veterans with three years of service are classified as restricted free agents. In past years franchise tags were rarely used on such players, but things might be changing. Previously, there were provisions to tag those restricted players with a high tender, and the compensation for a team losing a restricted free agent was a first- and third-round pick. Teams simply didn't consider restricted free agents.

Those days may be gone under the new CBA, with the most compensation a team can receive a first-round pick. That compensation sounds like it is still a high price to pay and will scare off most teams studying the restricted-free-agent pool. But consider teams picking at the bottom of the first round. Instead of giving up a top-10 pick or even a mid-round pick, such teams would stand to lose a selection in the late 20s or early 30s. Is it possible a team could target a quality young player in return for their first-round pick?

I asked two former general managers about targeting restricted free agents. The first said, "Now, we would have to talk about that situation at length and it has some merit." The other offered this: "If I could weaken a division opponent and get the guy under the right deal that a team couldn't match, it is like getting a two-for-one deal. We have a player we no longer have to defend and they have to replace him."

This curiosity in the RFA class brought me quickly to Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. At 26, Wallace has tallied 171 receptions and 24 touchdowns over three seasons and was a 2011 Pro Bowl selection. He has exceptional speed to get deep and there may not be any receivers like him at the bottom of the first round. There are three teams at the bottom of the first round that would instantly be better if he were on their team. Would the Ravens (No. 29), 49ers (No. 30) or Patriots (No. 31) conclude Wallace is a better option than the fourth or fifth rookie receiver in the draft?

Most NFL analysts believe Justin Blackmon, Kendall Wright and Michael Floyd will be long gone to these teams by time the draft rolls around. Moving up in the draft to secure Blackmon is unrealistic. Moving up for one of the other two marquee receivers could cost at least a second-round pick. The argument that paying Wallace is a lot more expensive than drafting a wide receiver at the bottom of the first round is true on paper, but there's no guarantee the rookie receiver will ever be as good as Wallace is right now, and at age 26 he should be good for years to come.

One coach I spoke with said he would turn to unrestricted free agents instead of surrendering a first-round pick. But Marques Colston (at age 29), Vincent Jackson (29) and Reggie Wayne (34) may be the best wide receivers without a franchise tag, and their respective ages make each of them more of a risk than the younger Wallace. Basically he could play three or four years for a new team before even reaching the age of the veteran wide receivers in his class. Wallace could play out a six-year deal and still have time for another contract.

The trick to landing a restricted free agent is putting a contract together the player finds acceptable and the former club can't or won't match. That is where the Wallace situation becomes even more interesting. The NFL has eliminated so-called "poison pill" contracts, which I applaud. In past years teams looking to acquire someone else's player installed clauses that the other club would have no chance to match. For instance, when the Vikings went after Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson, who was on a transition tag, and simply put a clause in the contract that stated exorbitant amounts of money would be owed Hutchinson based on how many games he played in the state of Washington. The Seahawks couldn't match that deal and Hutchinson became a Viking.

Now the deals have to be legitimate, but the Steelers have some salary-cap issues that are restricting their ability to defend themselves in the world of finance.
A team could frontload a contract with a big roster bonus, where the entire bonus counts under the 2012 salary cap, which would be problematic for the Steelers. As one GM said, "Salary cap space is power this time of year." The Ravens, Patriots and 49ers all have significantly more cap space than the Steelers.

In the same division, Wallace has played against the Ravens seven times, hauling in 25 receptions at 15.1 yards per catch. Going to Baltimore would definitely be a two-for-one deal. He no longer plays for the Steelers and he instantly becomes the Ravens' best receiver.

Wallace has played against the Patriots twice, catching 15 receptions -- 13 of them for first downs. The Patriots' passing game has everything but a deep threat. Again, two for one.

Wallace has played just once against the 49ers, but did snag five passes at 13.2 per catch. Line him up opposite Michael Crabtree, with Vernon Davis splitting the safeties, and the Niners are a playoff team for years.

The point is all three teams are very much aware of his skill level and would provide the "X" receiver threat they need to open up their offenses even more.

Finally, arguments can be made for or against pursuing Mike Wallace. It's worth the debate, especially if the Steelers put a restricted tender on him instead franchising him. The franchise tag for Wallace would be $9.4 million and the Steelers just might not have the cap space to protect their investment.

While odds are that he somehow remains with the Steelers, don't think for a minute some front offices aren't looking at the possibilities.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Creative team with WR needs could pry Wallace away from Steelers

Here is a question I will throw out. How many draft picks is Wallace worth? A number 1, a 1 and 2, a 2 and a 3? How many and what rounds would you let him go for?

At what price is he worth letting go given the age on our team and the poor O-line? Getting a few more draft picks might help weak areas of the team. Then again we may not have the cap space to sign many extra draft picks either so this is going to be interesting to watch. .

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 02-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Here is a question I will throw out. How many draft picks is Wallace worth? A number 1, a 1 and 2, a 2 and a 3? How many and what rounds would you let him go for?

At what price is he worth letting go given the age on our team and the poor O-line. Getting a few more draft picks might help weak areas of the team. Then again we may not have the cap space to sign many extra draft picks either so this is going to be interesting to watch. .
Give me a #1 and a #2 and he's gone.
A #2 and #3 is not enough..
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

I would easily let him go for a #1 and #2. Think about what a few smart moves could do for the offensive and defensive lines? Wallace is very fast. We all get that. His hands are average in my opinion. He drops too many balls that he should catch. I think defensive schemes shut him down the last half of the season. But his presence opens up holes down low for Brown, Sanders, etc. This is why Brown excelled the last half of the season.

Now the main point for me is who he goes to if he leaves. If it is the Rat-Birds or Bungles then hell no! I agree that would be a double whammy!
49ers would be okay
I wish the old Raiders mgt was still around because they would have taken him for sure.
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Boomer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19165

So do you think the team is exploring a trade before having to decide whether to tag him or not? A #1 and #2 would be great but I'd still hate to see him go. But a trade would ensure he goes to a team we won't face twice a year. I don't like the way he seemed to pout and give up in games last year. Maybe that was frustration in his QB being hurt and not being able to get him the ball. I'm torn on this but if he decides to leave and goes to the cheatriots or ratbirds, then I wish nothing but the worst for him in his playing career.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Black N' Yellow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19123

Couldn't the Steelers just match a front loaded offer and just restructure it to a back loaded contract if they make an arrangement with Wallace and his agent?
Black N' Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,088 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

none's more creative than the genius bruce arians. wallace is going to the colts!
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,034 Times in 493 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
none's more creative than the genius bruce arians. wallace is going to the colts!
Which would in turn give us the #1 overall pick
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,601 Times in 1,976 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Which would in turn give us the #1 overall pick

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

At what price is he worth letting go given the age on our team and the poor O-line? Getting a few more draft picks might help weak areas of the team. Then again we may not have the cap space to sign many extra draft picks either so this is going to be interesting to watch. .
I dont think that Kirwin is implying a "deal" for a trade.

If Wallace is given the RFA tender, then another team could offer him a big contract and have to give up a 1st round pick. The Steelers have the right to match that offer......but the article is saying that if somebody offers a front loaded deal, then the Steelers CANT match it because they dont have the cap space.

Its kind of creative and will likely only come into play if the other big name Unrestricted FA's are off the market. Its kind of how the Vikings outbid Seattle for Steve Hutchinson.

Wallace for a high 1st round pick is OK, but not a lower pick. I think they can tender him an offer that gives up a 1st and 3rd rounder.