Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Sanders says a couple of interesting things

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Sanders says a couple of interesting things

I did an hour of radio on Sunday from the Pittsburgh Auto Show with Gerry Dulac. Then, after I finished, Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders came on to replace me for the final hour.

I know, I know, I was a poor warm-up act, kind of like bringing out your cousin's garage band to open for The Who.

But Sanders did have a couple of interesting things to say.

First was that Mike Tomlin told Sanders in his exit interview that he will handle kickoff and punt returns - at least that's the plan - because Antonio Brown is now the full-time No. 2, while Sanders is No. 3.

That's tough not to use your Pro Bowl return guy, and something tells me that Brown will be back there in crucial situations, but they have to save the wear and tear on a critical part of the offense.

The other interesting thing Sanders said - and kudos to Dulac for asking - was how often Ben Roethlisberger checked out of running plays.

Sanders estimated it at 20 percent of the time, saying Roethlisberger would go to the line of scrimmage with two plays called, one a run, the other a pass.

That's just one player's recall of things, but it would explain some of the offensive inbalance the Steelers have had.

(And why doesn't someone ask Tomlin why he didn't he put a stop to Benjie's freelancing which turned our offense into a inconsistent mess? - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,924 Times in 779 Posts
Default Re: Sanders says a couple of interesting things

Meh, that's not really interesting at all. Givin' that Brown is our full-fledged #2, and since we've seen Sanders handle kick returns and some punt returns before, it only makes sense to use him at such a skill position when 100% healthy. I'm sure we'll see Brown sometimes, though with short fields.

As for Ben checking out of plays, the H-O-R-R-O-R! Every QB has a couple plays called in and judging by what they see from the defense, has a definitive task to change the play if need be when and if the receivers see the same thing Ben see's on the outsides. That's what Tom Brady does best. He'll check out of a run play within the shotgun almost at all cost if he knows what's good for them or vice-versa. It's actually what you want from your franchise QB, the ability to believe in what you're seeing.

This is just another writeup trying to exploit "dysfunction" within' our team. We're fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Really though we don't need articles like this...or about Ben being a pre Madonna for us to realize the offense had problems. Everyone not named Mike Tomlin or Ben Roethlisberger understood that ranking 21st in the NFL in scoring was unacceptable, especially given the talent Arians had to work with.

Fans would not have been crying for Arians head if we were in the top 5 in scoring every year. If you have a franchise QB surrounded by probowl calliber WR's, TE's, and a good RB...then you better be a force to deal with. You cannot always ask the defense to keep you in games...eventually it will catch up to you.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

You think Tomlin and Ben felt a 21st ranked offense was acceptable? I think you might be wrong there. If that offense was a top 10 O, we had byes and probably only 1 loss.

Arians was let go because his choices were wrong. 4 tries from the 1/2 yard line with the same back and not a care in the world sealed his deal. If I owned the team he would've been fired about 2 minutes after making the 4th call with Mendy. lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,076 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Not really worried, Sanders showed in 2010 he was capable of return duties, in fact the whole reason (if I remember correctly) Brown got the job was because Sanders initially moved up to 3rd receiver and Brown was 4th so he got the return job. Now it's been flip flopped.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I think Sanders still has a LOT to prove. So far, he has shown us ZIP.

Although he was picked in the 3rd round and Brown slid in during the 6th round, Brown has been the far superior player from day 1.

Anybody recall the first time Brown touched the football? I do-- he ran that kickoff all the way for a TD against the Titans (remember that reverse they ran on the opening kickoff of the game?).

I cannot recall even a single game-changing play Sanders has made for us. Granted, he has been struggling with an injury, but that does not help us at all.

Looking for more from him this year.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
You think Tomlin and Ben felt a 21st ranked offense was acceptable? I think you might be wrong there. If that offense was a top 10 O, we had byes and probably only 1 loss.

Arians was let go because his choices were wrong. 4 tries from the 1/2 yard line with the same back and not a care in the world sealed his deal. If I owned the team he would've been fired about 2 minutes after making the 4th call with Mendy. lol
Some disagree

Now that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have found someone to operate their defense under Greg Schiano, there will be a grand total of 28 new coordinators. Here are SN's rankings, separated by sides of the ball:

Offensive coordinators

1. Bruce Arians, Colts. This was a huge coup for Indianapolis to be able to attach Andrew Luck to the man who worked so well with Ben Roethlisberger.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...rio-best-hires

I know i started another thread on this but the idea of Arians being a great hire is so good it needs to be repeated
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post

Sorry, but I do think that Tomlin and Ben think that 21st in scoring is acceptable, since they both voiced their approval at status quo and have let it go for 5 years. This was not an anomaly year. It was the status quo.

I would have fired him the second time he lined up empty set on 3rd and 2, giving him the benefit of the doubt the first time, and assuming he was trying to catch the defense off guard. And there were a a lot of games where I wouldn't have let him on the plane home. "Sorry Bruce, you are no longer an employee of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Find your own way home."
jiminpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,368 Times in 4,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Some disagree

Offensive coordinators

1. Bruce Arians, Colts. This was a huge coup for Indianapolis to be able to attach Andrew Luck to the man who worked so well with Ben Roethlisberger.[/I]

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...rio-best-hires

I know i started another thread on this but the idea of Arians being a great hire is so good it needs to be repeated
what is really funny is it wont be longer than a day before arians lovers start citing "vinnie the blogger" as an expert on the subject.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Yep...It wont take long.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote