Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Fastandfaster17
Water Boy

Member Number: 17668
Default Which is greater (Wallace or Potential Draft Stud + Top Free Agent WR) ?

So I was thinking about this. Let's say theoretically* Omar Khan can clear enough cap room for a Mike Wallace deal. Is Mike Wallace really worth the 9 mil + he is going to command?

You could let someone like the Patriots or Bengals grab wallace of the 1st round tender and not fight for him at all. Pick up a 1st round pick, and now the steelers are in an excellent position to either trade up and pick up a top 10 player off the draft board, or trade down and stock pile some 2nd and 3rd round picks.. Then they can go out and with the cap room Khan cleared pick up a Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Reggie Jackson for that 2-3 year deal which will sure up our receiving core with a legit proven WR, and great veteran leadership. All the while we draft another couple 3-6 round draft WR guys who turn into legit playmakers over the next 2-4 years with brown and sanders.

What do you all think?

I just don't know if its worth it (Wallace or Potential Draft Stud + Top Free Agent WR)
Fastandfaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Which is greater (Wallace or Potential Draft Stud + Top Free Agent WR) ?

I think your thinking is flawed.

We let Wallace go, we are not going to save a bunch of cap space to sign another WR. That 1st round pick we sign will likely cost just as much (or more) as Wallace did last season. So that is a wash.

Sure we wont be spending $9million per on Wallace... which we don't have the space for anyway. If anything NOT signing Wallace only allows us to extend Brown next year. It does not suddenly clear cap space to sign other players. The nice thing about the 1st round pick is we get another talented player 4-5 years on the cheap. Thus allowing us to keep some of the players we have - like Brown. If we sign Wallace you can forget about Brown and probably a couple other guys.

We are approx $20million over the cap with Wallace not even on the books. So NOT keeping Wallace is not suddenly going to give us a bunch of $ to play with. It only means we don't have to cut even more people. You are nuts if you think we can let Wallace walk, then sign a top FA WR.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Fastandfaster17
Water Boy

Default Re: Which is greater (Wallace or Potential Draft Stud + Top Free Agent WR) ?

I suppose I was looking at a situation like this one

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02...franchise-tag/

Where the steelers found a way to clear that much cap room for a Wallace Tag or resign.

Where in a first round pick would cost somewhere around $1.25 against the cap normally.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Madtown is right.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I think your thinking is flawed.

We let Wallace go, we are not going to save a bunch of cap space to sign another WR. That 1st round pick we sign will likely cost just as much (or more) as Wallace did last season. So that is a wash.

Sure we wont be spending $9million per on Wallace... which we don't have the space for anyway. If anything NOT signing Wallace only allows us to extend Brown next year. It does not suddenly clear cap space to sign other players. The nice thing about the 1st round pick is we get another talented player 4-5 years on the cheap. Thus allowing us to keep some of the players we have - like Brown. If we sign Wallace you can forget about Brown and probably a couple other guys.

We are approx $20million over the cap with Wallace not even on the books. So NOT keeping Wallace is not suddenly going to give us a bunch of $ to play with. It only means we don't have to cut even more people. You are nuts if you think we can let Wallace walk, then sign a top FA WR.
A mid first round or beyond reciever willl not cost a team 9 mil+. If someone wants to give the Steelers another first rounder for wallace, i am down for that. This draft is full of talent. Steelers could solve two major needs in one round and still have two book ends with brown and sanders. And you sign cotchery and ward is the 4th. Plus you have Health who Haley already hinted he likes a lot. If you give me a 15th overal pick for wallace, i would take it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

I'm not convinced Wallace isn't done. I'm not convinced he is either. I hope that the FO takes a good hard look at the film on Wallace before considering anything with him. He was pretty much shut down for the second half of the season, and if it is because he has slowed down, even a little, he will not be worth the money he will get in the open market, and we would be foolish to sacrifice the cap space to pay that to him.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
A mid first round or beyond reciever willl not cost a team 9 mil+. If someone wants to give the Steelers another first rounder for wallace, i am down for that. This draft is full of talent. Steelers could solve two major needs in one round and still have two book ends with brown and sanders. And you sign cotchery and ward is the 4th. Plus you have Health who Haley already hinted he likes a lot. If you give me a 15th overal pick for wallace, i would take it.
I didn't say a first round pick would cost us $9million. I said a 1st round pick would cost us more then Wallace did last year. Wallace is no longer counting against our cap. We are $20+million over the cap with out Wallace even under contract. Any $ we spend on a WR - whether we draft him or in FA - it will cost us more $ we dont have.

Point is we do not have a dime to spend on a top FA - wr now... or if some team gives up a 1st round pick to sign Wallace. If we want to keep Wallace we need to clear that amount of cap space - on top of the $20 or so million we are already over. ...plus next year forget about signing Brown and who ever else we might need to re-sign.

I hate to say this, but I think the smart - long term decision is to clear enough cap space to tender Wallace. Hope that someone else signs him and gives us their 1st round pick..... then try to extend Brown next season. Try to fill the loss of Wallace with Sanders... - resign Ward at a discount and try to keep Cotchery to play the slot. Then hope to land a WR in the draft - 2nd or 3rd rounder? Use those two first round draft picks wisely and I think we'll be ok.

I wouldn't mind having a stud RB. We really need help on the O-line. We desperately need an ILB to replace Farrior (because he's a goner) We really need someone to replace Hampton - cause he's also a goner. So really I can't think of anything we need more then another 1st round pick. We need to bite the bullet now - let wallace walk and lock up Brown. If we give Wallace that $ - we'll lose Brown and who ever we need to cut to get under the cap - plus we'll NOT have that 1st round pick.

To me it's a no brainer. Wallace has to go. Unless there is some cost savings idea I have not heard yet. The FO is already leaking info to get steeler fans prepared for what's to come. get ready to hear Ben really cry like a 2 year old.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Fastandfaster17
Water Boy

"I hate to say this, but I think the smart - long term decision is to clear enough cap space to tender Wallace. Hope that someonelse signs him and gives us their 1st round pick..... then try to extend Brown next season. Try to fill the loss of Wallace with Sanders... - resign Ward at a discount and try to keep Cotchery to play the slot. Then hope to land a WR in the draft - 2nd or 3rd rounder? Use those two first round draft picks wisely and I think we'll be ok."
The problem will come if Sanders foot can't hold up, ward simply can't compete at a high level anymore and your left with Antonio Brown who is unproven as a #1 reciever and Cotchery with rookies and practice squad toys.

I know there are holes to fill other places, but I can't see the FO creating a hole at WR while trying to patch others, especially with Ben in his prime.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

There is not much difference from good to average wideouts in the NFL....The biggest difference is the quarterback...If Santonio Holmes was in Pittsburgh last year his numbers would have been much much better. He has Sanchez so his numbers were down.

What im saying is we can sign crotch and maybe another mid tier wideout and BR7 will inflate the numbers and we will be fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I hate to say this, but I think the smart - long term decision is to clear enough cap space to tender Wallace. Hope that someone else signs him and gives us their 1st round pick..... then try to extend Brown next season. Try to fill the loss of Wallace with Sanders... - resign Ward at a discount and try to keep Cotchery to play the slot. Then hope to land a WR in the draft - 2nd or 3rd rounder? Use those two first round draft picks wisely and I think we'll be ok.
I was saying at the end of the season that Wallace was not going to be a Steeler next year for a number of reasons.

1) We have no cap space.
2) We have no need for a one-trick-pony deep threat, who doesn't tackle, and we don't have a QB that can deliver it to him deep consistently.
3) We must secure Brown who is the true future for our receiving corps, and who IMO is a much better WR than Wallace.
4) Additionally, our OL is so shitty that Wallace rarely gets the time to break a big one.

Hell, even without Wallace, if we can't get it done with Brown, Sanders, Ward, Miller, and Cotchery, then we suck.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote