Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Lets Look At the Positives

I keep seeing negative "losing Wallace" post and I'm ready to think about how we could improve if and probably when we lose him after we put a 1st round tender on him. Between the Ravens, Bengals, Patriots and 49ers...we could end up recieving the 21st, 29th, 30th, or 31st pick along with our 24th pick. I hear great things about Glenn, Hightower, Poe, and Burfict. I preferable would like to address the NT position and the OG position in the first round. But i believe that drafting a MLB would free us up from keeping Farrior or Foote on salary. I really love both of them but they are mid and late 30's players...There has to be a time to trim the fat. What's everyone elses opinion?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791
Default Re: Lets Look At the Positives

Well, its pretty well a given that we're going to lose either Foote or Farrior, if not both. Thats 5.8 million in cap space at middle line backer, and I can't see the Steelers paying someone $3 mil to be a back up. Much the same way I can't see them paying Hines $4 mil to be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th receiver. It sucks, but the numbers are the numbers.
Would a second first round pick be worth Wallace? If we use first two rounds to shore up o-line, d-line, and ILB, and pick up a 6'4" WR in the third or 4th round, then I could see it. Ben hasn't had that big target since Plax left (well, for two years with butter-hands), and that could be what it takes to make our O more run/short pass oriented, which seems to be what management wants.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

I dont plan on Hines being back either. If he is he will be resigned to a veterans minimum which is around &875k. I think Ben, Troy, and James will restructure to free up some room but i dont believe we would be able to match an offer made by another team for Wallace. He will likely get a $20 million garunteed type of contract at least and we can't even think about matching that so a first round pick is the only reasonable out we have left.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

Yeah if it happens, it happens. But if it were me I'd go offensive line and Linebacker. There are plenty of good NT's in this draft that we can get in the 2nd or 3rd round. Your not going to get a stout LBer in the late second round. You might get someone good. But I think hightower or Burflict are way above the next lb's.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

Another pt. This year is a very deep WR draft class. Probable the deepest Ive seen in 8 years or so.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Losing Wallace, I would say if Michael Floyd is in reach you would have to nab him as he might be the surest way in replacing Wallace in a hurry. No guarantees with anyone later although I still cover my butt and pick another WR later as well. The team wasn't expecting the extra first round pick anyway so use it to find a WR right away. They can still draft G, NT, ILB right after that and have a great draft.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Even without Wallace we can still go 4 deep at WR if we bring back Hines...i'm more concerned with the Oline, LB depth, and NT in that order
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote