Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts
Default What is the TRUE VALUE of Mike Wallace?

Of course, as fans, we all have our own opinions of how much he is worth. Some might say he is the difference of winning a superbowl, or not making the playoffs. either could be true.

But take emotion out of it, and we can examine the true market value in todays climate.

the franchise tag says any WR who may be slapped with it is worth $9.4 million per year. Does that mean that if 5 wr's are tagged they are suddenly worth as much as the average salaries of fitzgerald, calvin and andrae johnson?

hardly. the number is an arbitrary one impacted by no salary cap increase last season plus the inflation of larry fitzgeralds astronomical $20+ million salary.

last year the franchise tag was worth $11 mil. does that mean they are now worth less? of course not. they are now probably worth more than ever (especially when the tv money kicks in and the salary cap skyrockets.)

wallace has a skill set that easilly places him equal to the likes of steve smith, reggie wayne, miles austin, and greg jennings.

i would even place him above them. he is almost as hard to defend as calvin, andrae and fitzgerald.

http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sport...-nfl-2011.html

his agent will point out that they are all working on older contracts, and wallace isnt a top 10 pick like them. he will not be penalized for signing his second contract 2 years earlier than they, nor will he be penalized for signing after a labor dispute when the salary cap is frozen. none of that impacts his value or proven and potential production. anyone who signs him now is getting the additional bonus of 2 years of youth (which makes a huge contract like larry fitzgeralds even easier to dish out.

people think teams will be unwilling to give up a 1st round pick AND pay the low price of 9.4mil per season. this is because teams historically have been reluctant to give up so much in a trade for an older player. wallace is young and proven pro bowler who can hang with any top wr in the leage.

if he were in the april draft i say he would be atleast the # 2 wr selected and with his youth and being proven commodity, is easilly worth 2 1st round picks, and then some. he is easilly worth more than carson palmer, right? i'd say he is worth about as much as what the falcons gave up last year for julio jones (who i dont think will ever match wallace's career production).

i dont think we will be able to keep him long term, but he is most certainly worth the franchise tag price. if we cant do it, it may be akin to the patriots dumping richard seymore. it still hurts them to this day, but where they suffered on defense, they have made up on offense, and still made it back to the SB. hopefully we can do the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,559 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: What is the TRUE VALUE of Mike Wallace?

He;s definitely worth the FT, I mean, who else is going to get it? I'm not sure he'd be happy with it, though, but I can't imagine he'd pout to much, it's 9 Million +. I think if their in any danger of losing him, they'll tag him. 9 Million isn't cheap, especially with our Cap issues, but if it comes down to that, I think that's what's going to happen.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
tony hipchest

if it comes down to that, i still dont think he is protected. i can think of several teams who should jump all over that deal, by not only matching it , but surpassing it.

they wont be any worse for the wear, either by giving up a single draft selection, or any deal they may offer (despite what so many steeler fans want to believe).
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if it comes down to that, i still dont think he is protected. i can think of several teams who should jump all over that deal, by not only matching it , but surpassing it.

they wont be any worse for the wear, either by giving up a single draft selection, or any deal they may offer (despite what so many steeler fans want to believe).
Wait a minute, matching the franchise tag? Isn't the FT something that's placed on a player without their input on the matter? I thought it was something that teams couldn't try and match, because it's an immediate contract.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, just not very informed on the rules of the Franchise Tag.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Wait a minute, matching the franchise tag? Isn't the FT something that's placed on a player without their input on the matter? I thought it was something that teams couldn't try and match, because it's an immediate contract.
i kinda mixed franchise with the tender and exclusive vs non exclusive.

mix that with the new CBA rules and i believe he is not 100% protected under any circumstances.

so many things have changed since last season, im not willing to stake MOP or MACH!'s reputation on it.

i wanna say the exclusive rights tag is gone as part of negotiations, but i could be wrong. i boycotted the NFL during the entire lockout, so admittedly still may have a bit of catching up to do.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Pretty sure you're correct. Steelers have the right to match, and that's about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i kinda mixed franchise with the tender and exclusive vs non exclusive.

mix that with the new CBA rules and i believe he is not 100% protected under any circumstances.

so many things have changed since last season, im not willing to stake MOP or MACH!'s reputation on it.

i wanna say the exclusive rights tag is gone as part of negotiations, but i could be wrong. i boycotted the NFL during the entire lockout, so admittedly still may have a bit of catching up to do.
nope... franchise tagged players are still off limits. the only thing different is the compensation formula.
Quote:
The franchise tag numbers for 2012 also are significantly less than they have been in recent years. The tag used to pay the player the average of the five highest paid players at his position for that year. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, it now pays an average of the five highest paid players at his spot over the last five years, a clause that will cost players $2 million to $3 million, depending on position
i think they've done away with the "transition" tag.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
nope... franchise tagged players are still off limits. the only thing different is the compensation formula.

i think they've done away with the "transition" tag.
Upon further review (Sounding like an official now), MOP's right on both. Transition tag's seem to be gone, and the franchise tag is off-limits for other teams.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

If we franchise him and he signs it he is ours. If we tender him another could sign him to a offer sheet with the Steelers getting the right to match. If we don't match then we get the 1st round pick in return. I read that Kapinos has been tenderd so that means Sepulvada and his big contract will be gone, more cap savings.

Frankly I think we should franchise him, although i am back and forth on this. My reasoning for franchising him is WR with his speed and skill set don't come along all that often and even though i am a defensive guy and believe the defense needs to be great to win, in today's NFL it appears you need a high scoring O to compete anymore. We need to keep Wallace for this reason. Franchise him then sign him long term. The franchise tag helps with that. We can cut Ward and bring him back with a lesser contract if needed (that hurt to say) A.Smith will be gone and Big Snack as well (that hurt too, lol) as well as Foote or Farrior ( I would let Foote go, Farrior's intangibles are needed if we "gut" the D)
We absolutely can not let a division or conference rival snap up Wallace.
Another option would be to sign him to the franchise tag then trade him to the NFC (SF maybe) for the 1st round pic and maybe a bit more.
I am confident the Steelers FO will do what is best for this team right now. As I am sure there is a ot of hand wringing going on about who we need to release.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote