Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Wide receiver Wallace within Steelers' reach

Wide receiver Wallace within Steelers' reach

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 24, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS The Steelers cleared about $8 million in salary cap money Thursday by restructuring quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract, a move that may ultimately allow the Steelers to lock up receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract.

The Steelers have shaved close to $30 million off their 2012 salary cap and should be in compliance when the cap number is released early next month.

Wallace is the Steelers' most coveted free agent, and the team's salary cap situation had fueled speculation that it wouldn't be able to use a franchise tag on the Pro Bowler.

General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine that the Steelers were likely to make the highest tender offer to Wallace, a restricted free agent. The one-year deal is worth a projected $2.7 million. The Steelers would receive a first-round draft pick if Wallace signs with another team when free agency begins March 13 and they decline to match that offer.

But that was before the Steelers reworked the six-year, $102 million contract Roethlisberger signed in 2008.

Roethlisberger is the fifth Steelers player this month to restructure his deal. The move could bring the franchise tag into play with Wallace.

The tag comes with a one-year deal that would be worth just under $9.5 million and is guaranteed as soon as Wallace signs it. If the Steelers guarantee themselves exclusive negotiating rights with Wallace by tagging him, they would do so with the idea of later signing him to a multiyear contract.

Colbert said he is confident Wallace, a third-year veteran, isn't going anywhere.

"We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said. "I'm very confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and the other receivers we have. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it's easier to achieve that goal."

Wallace said Wednesday during an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio that he wants to stay with the Steelers but that he is also keeping an open mind.

San Francisco and New England are among teams that need help at receiver and could target Wallace.

Not that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh ventured near that topic yesterday. Asked if he preferred adding a receiver through free agency or the draft, Harbaugh said, "This is just a period of speculation and making hypotheticals. It doesn't benefit us to get into that arena."

Colbert left no doubt the Steelers have identified Wallace, 25, as a core player, even though he endured a second-half slump in 2011. Despite that, Wallace went over 1,000 yards receiving for the second consecutive year and made the Pro Bowl as a starter.

"We think he's only scratched the surface in what he can do," Colbert said. "There's a lot left there that can still be developed. We're anxious to see it happen as a Steeler."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2012 by Trib Total Media, I

Read more: Wide receiver Wallace within Steelers' reach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1nH51GjSU
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Wide receiver Wallace within Steelers' reach

Wallace signs...Ward is gone
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I think you might be right.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Lock up Ward to a long-term deal!
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I honestly think it's more of a case of "Wallace leaves... Ward definitely stays". I also believe it's closer to "Cotchery signs.... Ward is gone".

I think if Wallace leaves, the team will attempt to bring back BOTH Ward and Cotchery. If Wallace stays, they will try to keep EITHER Ward OR Cotchery, not both, with them leaning more towards Cotchery.

Just a hunch.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Wallace doesnt sign Ward should be gone as the 2 are no comparasion or substitute.

Let Ward finish is 80 hours of community service and be done.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,006 Times in 2,567 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm sure ben restructured his contract because he wants wallace to stay. he's ben's favorite toy
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

If the Steelers sign Wallace to a big deal, the nightmare is going to happen all over again with Antonio Brown next year. It will be the exact same situation of him being a restricted free agent and getting a #1 draft pick or franchising him for well over probably 10 million next year.

i don't see how the Steelers can afford two 9 million dollar receivers. Their stats are almost identical.

If we were talking about Antonio Brown this year instead of Wallace there wouldn't even be a question as to sign him or not. We would want him staying at all costs. The fact the Steelers will have to go through this nightmare all over again next year worries me.

It may be best if Wallace leaves or is franchised for just one year.

If we do lose Wallace we need a lot better then Ward or Cotchery.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

If we did lose wallace then how would we be able to sign someone better then ward or cotchery? If ee had monet to sign a big name guy then why wouldnt we just sugn wallace. Regardless we will sign wallace to a multiyear deal foe about 7the million a year
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
If we do lose Wallace we need a lot better then Ward or Cotchery.
That might be true, but I think we'll be fine. They'll most likely draft another good young receiver and I think Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Ward would be fine with the new guy mixed in.

Factor in Heath and Saunders and Todd Haley calling the plays and we should be a damn good receiving offense even without Wallace.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote