Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ravens unlikely to pursue Wallace

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ursue-wallace/

Ravens unlikely to pursue Wallace

February 24th, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS –
A nightmare, one even worse for Steelers fans than (gasp!) Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger not talking for weeks after the former’s hiring, is unlikely to happen.

The Ravens have been one of the teams linked to restricted free agent Mike Wallace through connecting-of-the-dots speculation. But general manager Ozzie Newsome all but took the Ravens out of the running for Wallace, who can entertain offers from other teams if the Steelers only make a tender offer to him.

The Steelers are leaning toward using the highest tender on Wallace instead of a franchise tag. If they go that route, teams still have to give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace away from the Steelers.

And Newsome values first-round draft picks as much as Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert does for the same reason: both have been so successful picking in that round.

Newsome also pointed out another drawback of signing a restricted free agent.
“At that point the player and the agent has the leverage because you have to do a deal that you don’t think the other team is going to match,” Newsome said Friday at the NFL Combine, “and then giving up a first-round pick? That first-round pick, the amount of money you have to pay over the next four years, is not like it was in the previous CBA so you have to factor all of those things in before you decide to make that decision. There’s some teams that have two (first-round picks) this year? Could they do it? Possibly but they’ll be thinking about all of those other ramifications.”

Does that mean Newsome has ruled out signing a restricted free agent to bolster Baltimore’s receiving corps?

“When I wake up tomorrow, I just never know what I might do,” he said.

– Scott Brown
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,087 Times in 1,971 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Ravens unlikely to pursue Wallace

Trust the Ravens nevermore!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Maybe they can pursue winning a game when it matters soon instead of dropping passes in the last drive.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Well they can yell outside that a piano is about to fall on my head and I wouldnt believe them. So I would take that with a grain a salt. Plus I doubt Wallace considers Flacco a great QB anyway. Which is a criteria he supposedly set.
I thought he also stated he didn't want to be with a whiney ass coach, but I could be wrong. but that would have 2 strikes against the Ravens
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote