Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: TE Factoids, How important are they, anyway?

Chef are you a chef or an accountant? LOL :D
Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Before becomming a chef, I was getting a business degree, but had to change my minor from accounting to economics. Sometimes just didn't understand why some things went on one side of the balance sheet and not the other. However economics worked out cause I tend to be able to grasp how the little picture ties into the big one most of the time.

S4S, I'm like you, I don't always make the numbers I use but putting them to use in this forum is a fun hobby for me. I'll take a look soon at the new page, cause I do believe % can be a little misleading as well. Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my resources.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #13
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

So all that being said so far, do we all think that using Heath Miller, and Jerame Tuman.. one or both of them is really a key, not the key, but a key, to getting to and winning the SB ? Just curious on your thoughts.

Good Stuff!!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Sorry, in the home stretch for wedding plans, meant to do a Cliff Notes version of this thread.
Here's what I got so far...

First BRC I think the question is wrong. It is not about a player being a key. See NE, 3 of 4, on this reasoning. So I want to make sure we focus this on Steelers and the TE position first.

Seeing how 4 teams broke the mold, says two things. Either you don't have a need for a TE or you need to get one more involved. My response on this is we have had too many years of being #1 in rushing and defense(or close enough)to say the first of the two is false, or its a harder road to tow. We could pull it off and join the ranks of those 4 teams, but lets see what the other option holds. The second option is why I want it to be position specific first. On those 4 teams, the rank of receptions to TE's is as follows: Rams 32, 49ers 30, Skins 21, and even Packers 13. Yes they did throw the ball a little back in the day, huh? So what did we do being so close to success last year? Steelers 17 caught passes to TE's. If your read S4S post you see our TD % is great but misleading(17 catches from TE's, 5 TD's). Bottom line we would have to get our TE involved 2x as much to even be included in those 4 teams. The math is rounding a little but the point is simple. Logic dictates even to be stat long horse, we must involve the TE more to be better balanced. Now to your question.

As for which player depends on performance. (Odds are Miller and Tuman, but since we are being very geeky on this thread...) The TE position is one that can cause not so much a match up nightmare, but more like a mistake from time to time where a CB ends up covering, or a LB ends up covering one on a run play opening a hole. By passing a little more(notes Millers size should make him more visible in the middle) to the TE we can come back in balance to keep teams honest. See Bettis 4th and 1, teams knew who and where. I knew and I "flip burgers" for a living. Miller is a talent and Tuman skills outmatch the respect given him on defense. So I see these two as being a huge key to a Super Bowl because the three keys as discussed in other threads are running effectively(YPA), third down defense(bend but don't break), and turnovers(it is still just 1 game and TO's kill). I see TE's involved in 1 1/2 of these keys.

BRC that actually is as simple as I could make it, but at least I made it. This next to the Q&A thread has been quite fun.