Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default 3 questions with Memphis DT Dontari Poe

The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...t-dontari-poe/

3 questions with Memphis DT Dontari Poe
February 25th, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS ó Dontari Poe, a potential target for the Steelers in the first round of the draft, talked about Casey Hampton, his versatility and his devotion to the weight room today during his media interview at the NFL Combine.

Poe, a defensive tackle from Memphis, was measured at 6-4, and he weighed in at 346 pounds. He didnít look like someone that is pushing 350 pounds, and the biggest question the Steelers may have about Poe is whether they will get a crack at him.
The Steelers donít pick until No. 24 in the first round of the draft.

Here are three questions with Poe:

Q: Are you more comfortable in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense?
A: Iím used to both, I played both in college. Either or would be good for me. Iím comfortable playing either so itís really not a big deal. Most people kind of see me as a 3-4 nose tackle, which is cool with me because I like that position as well. I like to think that I am versatile. I can play multiple positions.

Q: You seem to know your way around a weight room. Can you talk about that?
A: I love the weight room. Itís something that I got into high school because people always used to say college players are way bigger, faster, stronger and when you get to college they say the NFL is way bigger, stronger. I never let up. Iím self motivated to do it.

Q: You said you have long followed Casey Hampton. What do you like about him?
A: Heís one of the more aggressive defensive tackles that this league has seen. His hand strength, once he gets his hands on you he controls you. Thatís probably what I admire most about him.

Ė Scott Brown
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: 3 questions with Memphis DT Dontari Poe

I would love to grab him. He seems like he is very close to being unblockable and hes still raw and will get better. If we grab him i would release Hampton the next day
Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

If we were able to draft Poe, I would love to see Hampton play the final year and Poe spell him now and then.

The whole "player coaching the young guy" is not something I subscribe to a lot, but young guys definately pick things up while in the meeting room, the locker room, the weight room and in position groups in practice. Poe seeing how a professional like Hampton conducts himself goes a long way, especially when he will not likely start his rookie season.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Yeah the article in the post today got me more interested in Poe for sure. However Colbert did mention it is not common to take a player that is not a 3 down player in the first round. However a guy like Poe could be moved around a bit like Ngata.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Yeah the article in the post today got me more interested in Poe for sure. However Colbert did mention it is not common to take a player that is not a 3 down player in the first round. However a guy like Poe could be moved around a bit like Ngata.
That comment about a 3 down player is crap. BJ Raji, Casey Hampton, Ngata and more are not all 3 down players. The kid is an incredible force and the only thing that keeps him out of the 1st round is that he isnt polished.

A 2 gap NT that occupies 2 blockers will allow the LB's to make plays. If the Steelers do draft him, dont expect to see him play much though. He might get the same kind of snaps that Heyward got this year, unless there is an injury.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
If we were able to draft Poe, I would love to see Hampton play the final year and Poe spell him now and then.

The whole "player coaching the young guy" is not something I subscribe to a lot, but young guys definately pick things up while in the meeting room, the locker room, the weight room and in position groups in practice. Poe seeing how a professional like Hampton conducts himself goes a long way, especially when he will not likely start his rookie season.
I just hope he doesn't pick up Hampton's Cheetohs & Krispy Kreme regimen along the way.