Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Santonio...No love for Ben

"I've reached out to Santonio, kind of like [Jerome Bettis] did to me," Roethlisberger said.

"I gave him my numbers, told him to call me, and when he got into trouble, I called him a bunch of time and left a bunch of messages for him, and he has never called me back, so I don't know how to take it.

"If he wants me to help him and wants me to take him under my wing, I'll do that, but it is his call, now, not mine. The ball is in his court, so to speak, but I think he'll be OK and, hopefully, he'll get to camp and get his head screwed on straight."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06195/705856-66.stm

Whats with this kid...........Didnt even call Big Ben back???????
If im a rookie and my superstar quarterback calls me.............I call him back...

Last edited by BIGBENFASTWILLIE; 07-14-2006 at 05:48 AM.
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Santonio...No love for Ben

I hope this kid wakes up...and realizes how freakin lucky he is to be in this organization....with these players...and this staff....
Old 07-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

You know what?

I don't think that is the greatest move by Ben.

He is calling out a rookie in the press who has obviously some issues with authority, and he is doing it in a finger pointing, hand washing type way.

To me, it seems like he is trying to go on the record as having tried to help the guy out but having been ignored.

These type of ultimatums are only useful if done face to face, I cant imagine any old school Steelers employing this method.

On a seperate note, it doesn't appear that Ben has learnt a great deal from the crash if his words are to be believed.

He appears to be saying " I sometimes wore a helmet and I was just unlucky that day, so I may not ride a bike again.,....then again I may."

"And if I do ride a bike again I'll definitely wear my helmet....or maybe I wont."

Hardly the most impressive interview from someone who was a minute from the end of his young life.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
I hope this kid wakes up...and realizes how freakin lucky he is to be in this organization....with these players...and this staff....

I thought his answer to the last question on the Steelers web site was very insightful as to how this kid thinks:

From Mary Bennett from Sarasota, FL: Is there any more pressure coming to a Super Bowl Champion with the expectations on the team so high?
Santonio Holmes: No, not at all. I think I got drafted because I was needed and my potential set me aside from other receivers

My Grrrrrrrrrr-reflex is starting to kick in, and I'm having Troy Edward flashbacks....If he shows up wearing a HUGE silver dollar sign around his neck...I am going to go pick up Arkie and his arsenal and head to the 'burgh
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
You know what?

He is calling out a rookie in the press who has obviously some issues with authority, and he is doing it in a finger pointing, hand washing type way.

To me, it seems like he is trying to go on the record as having tried to help the guy out but having been ignored.

These type of ultimatums are only useful if done face to face, I cant imagine any old school Steelers employing this method.

On a seperate note, it doesn't appear that Ben has learnt a great deal from the crash if his words are to be believed.

He appears to be saying " I sometimes wore a helmet and I was just unlucky that day, so I may not ride a bike again.,....then again I may."

"And if I do ride a bike again I'll definitely wear my helmet....or maybe I wont."

Hardly the most impressive interview from someone who was a minute from the end of his young life.

NM
First of all..in the Jim Rome interview...when asked if he would wear a helmet in the future..he said "YES"..definitively...no wavering....

Second of all...I thought it was a GOOD move..it sends notice to this kid...and this kid needs it...

"Hardly the most impressive interview"....LMAO...dude...this kid is 5 weeks out from that accident...and he is sitting in front of Jim Rome...not the easiest interview to be sure...Objectively..I thought it was an OUTSTANDING interview...he came across as focused...humbled...and honest....what I got out of it was "MESSAGE SENT AND RECEIVED"...but he's still gonna be Ben...and that makes me feel great...because "being Ben"...is what makes him special...
Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I said it before and I'll say it again... When I learned he had 3 kids by 3 different women before he graduated college and was drafted, I thought to myself, this kid has issues. He doesn't have his "life priorities" straight.

Everything that has happened so far has reinforced my belief that drafting this kid was a mistake.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope that once camp starts, the older players can set him straight.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I hope to god we dont give this kid alot of guaranteed money. He already needs to go. This is not the type of attention that our team needs. This was a bad pick from the get go
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

This kid had better show up with a major attitude adjustment and a fire lit under his ass, that's all I have to say. And to think I was actually happy with this pick...
Old 07-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
You know what?

NM

I think that this was a great move by ben, he's putting more pressure on this kid to snap out of it, Ben is givin the media fuel to burn santonio if he fails, it will be in the back of santonio's head
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I think this was a total waste of a first round pick. I know this would never happen but what if he never even plays a down this year
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote