Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default ESPN.com poll right now says just 53% of SN thinks Hines is a Hall of Famer

How is that possible? I understand there's a logjam of wide receivers waiting to get in, but there is no way that Hines doesn't have the credentials to be an HOF player. Let's see:

- One of only 8 players with 1,000 career catches
- More than 12,000 receiving yards
- The incredible streak of 186 straight games with a reception
- 76 catches and 1,064 catches in 14 career postseason games, which included a Super Bowl MVP, two SB touchdowns, and an appearance in a third Super Bowl
- Holds just about every major Steeler receiving record, which is not exactly like being the Jaguars all-time leader
- And, most importantly...his BLOCKING! You know people, for whatever reason (possibly because he is an unpopular guy who is viewed as dirty outside of Pittsburgh) people have to be completely discounting that if they think he's not a HOF player. Being the best blocking receiver of all-time (on what was usually a running team, I might add) has to be a huge factor in his chances.

To those 47 percent who voted nay, all I can say is this: every single one of you would've loved it if Hines Ward was on your team these past 14 years.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,569 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: ESPN.com poll right now says just 53% of SN thinks Hines is a Hall of Famer

It's mainly because of his abilities. In his best years, he wasn't really a top 3 receiver due to the talent around the league (Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss Etc.). Looking at his numbers and the 14 years he played for this team, it's obvious he's set to be a hall of famer, at least in my eyes it is. He wasn't as explosive and athletic as that of Moss and and Owens, and that's the only reason he's lacking. To be quite frank, look at where Owens and Moss are now. Owens is making less than 20% of what he made per game in the NFL catching in some side league, and Moss is at home.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: ESPN.com poll right now says just 53% of SN thinks Hines is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
And, most importantly...his BLOCKING!.............Being the best blocking receiver of all-time (on what was usually a running team, I might add) has to be a huge factor in his chances.

To those 47 percent who voted nay, all I can say is this: every single one of you would've loved it if Hines Ward was on your team these past 14 years.
Amen. No one earns (or helps earn) the tough yards like Hines, and it's the tough yards that win you championships.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
Amen. No one earns (or helps earn) the tough yards like Hines, and it's the tough yards that win you championships.
Exactly. I could be wrong, but Owens, Ochostinko and Moss lack championships. Regardless of there build and athleticism, they lack the rings.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

That's a great point guys, and something I meant to mention in my original post. Moss left the league before Hines, with no rings (even if he is trying to come back. TO, no rings. Ochocinco, no rings. Does anyone see a pattern here? These diva receivers are the antithesis of what it takes to go all the way.

I'm sure many of those 47 percent would put Moss and TO in right away, just because Hines never brought the flash or diva-tendencies that those guys did, Moss and TO are more well-known. Goes to show you how brainless some sports "fans" are.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
That's a great point guys, and something I meant to mention in my original post. Moss left the league before Hines, with no rings (even if he is trying to come back. TO, no rings. Ochocinco, no rings. Does anyone see a pattern here? These diva receivers are the antithesis of what it takes to go all the way.

I'm sure many of those 47 percent would put Moss and TO in right away, just because Hines never brought the flash or diva-tendencies that those guys did, Moss and TO are more well-known. Goes to show you how brainless some sports "fans" are.
That's pretty much on the money. The hall of fame really is about a single man's play on the field, but I think the lack of Super Bowl's for some of these guy's should at least hinder their likelihood of making it.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

The only problem is that it is not only Steelers supporters that vote.
Hines has made a quite a few enemies by his monster blocks and is labeled by many as a dirty player.
Those emotions come out more than his qualifications which in my opinion make him a HOF'er.

Maybe in a few years from now, those negative emotions will be gone and people will vote on him by what he did. 1000 catches, SB MVP
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,673 Times in 648 Posts
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
The only problem is that it is not only Steelers supporters that vote.
This.

I'm sure Greenie has voted No quite a few times as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Had to chime in a little bit more on this.

Hines is certainly a hall of famer in my mind. Calvin and Owens get open because their strong, tall and athletic. Hines Ward has always lacked speed, and he's not built nearly as well as those monster receivers. He got open because he's smart.

That's a hall of fame quality, if there ever was one.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

He is a lock IMO - maybe not first ballott as even guys like Cris Carter are still waiting...but he's in.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote